US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The globe earth and helicentric model is fictional. It's not real, and it's definitely not biblical, and it has never been proven. Nobody can prove the earth is a ball going around the sun because it's not

Before you respond to this proof, please define "proof."

FROM THE March 2017 ISSUE
What are the accepted proofs that Earth revolves around the Sun? When did this realization take place?
Bob James, Las Vegas
Published: Monday, January 30, 2017

Flickr/ Kevin Gill
We had no direct view of Earth until the dawn of the Space Age. Finding physical evidence that our planet revolves around the Sun took some clever thinking to prove that this heliocentric model of our solar system represents reality.

The idea is ancient. Around 230 b.c., the Greek philosopher Aristarchus suggested that this was the case. He was an outstanding observer and based this idea on careful observations. Still, without direct proof that Earth moves, Aristotle’s Earth-centered universe remained the dominant model for centuries.

In 1610, Galileo turned his new telescope toward Venus. To his amazement, he saw the planet pass through phases just like the Moon. Galileo correctly surmised that this could happen only if Venus had an orbit closer to the Sun than Earth’s orbit.

With improved telescopes, astronomers started looking for another proof of Earth’s motion around the Sun, stellar parallax. Earth’s orbit is huge — some 186 million miles (300,000 kilometers) in diameter. If an astronomer measures the position of a nearby star, and then measures it again six months later, the star’s apparent position against the background of more distant stars should shift a tiny amount.

Observing this would prove that Earth in fact is not stationary. It wasn’t until 1838 that an astronomer finally detected this shift. That year, German astronomer Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel successfully measured the parallax of the star 61 Cygni.

And there’s yet another proof. Imagine standing still with rain coming straight down. To stay dry, you just hold your umbrella directly over your head. As you begin to walk, however, you need to tilt the umbrella “into” the rain, even though the rain is coming straight down. The faster you walk, the greater the tilt needs to be.

As Earth orbits the Sun, we can detect a “tilt” of incoming starlight. English astronomer James Bradley discovered this phenomenon in 1725 by accident — while he was searching for stellar parallax! This aberration of starlight, as it is called, is a result of light having a finite speed and Earth’s motion around the Sun.

Raymond Shubinski
Contributing Editor

What are the accepted proofs that Earth revolves around the Sun? When

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This reasoning is a common excuse to dance around the Torah & Prophets presenting a flat earth, rather than accepting them for what they plainly teach.
Well, it's either that or accept that the Bible has scientific errors. Now, I have no problems with that, but my guess is that you do. It is a fact that the earth is a sphere.

Upvote 0

Macril

Jan 17, 2018
Oslo
✟2,546.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word translated as circle in the Hebrew, is also translated as sphere, which is what the earth is.

I have seen on these forums a claim that they also had a word for a sphere that only means sphere ie ball but that word is not used in the Bible in these contexts.

Not interested enough on this nonsense to verify it. I will leave it to philologists.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have seen on these forums a claim that they also had a word for a sphere that only means sphere ie ball but that word is not used in the Bible in these contexts.

Not interested enough on this nonsense to verify it. I will leave it to philologists.
Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, it's either that or accept that the Bible has scientific errors. Now, I have no problems with that, but my guess is that you do. It is a fact that the earth is a sphere.

I accept what the Torah & prophets teach. I reject gentile "scientists" who fabricated a cosmology centered around the worship of their sun god.

The Greeks who fabricated their fictitious heliocentric model never proved the earth is a spinning ball. In fact, they have no evidence other than their bogus mathematics that they made up as well.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we examine our universe there are a number of observations that must be consistently explained:

1. tidal effects on earth

2. moon's near side "locked' to earth

3. phases of the moon

4. retardation of the moon's 'rising'

5. seasons of the earth

6. seasonal 24 hour days and nights in the arctic and antarctic

7. coreolis effects on earth

8. Foucault's pendulum

9. precession of the earth's axis

10. apparent daily rotation of the "fixed stars" about the pole star

11. this rotation being in opposite directions at the two poles

12. motion of the "wandering stars" (planets) including retrograde motion

13. earth-moon centre of gravity orbits

14. eclipses of the sun, moon and planets

15. northern and southern lights

16. meteors, asteroids and comets

17. moons and/or rings around other planets

18. there are certainly other effects that I have missed

There is only one self consistent model that explains all of these observations and that is the present cosmology of our solar system. This does not explain why these objects behave as they do, it only provides a very refined model that accounts for all the observed effects.

Now add into this the experimentally verified non-relativistic laws of motion and of gravity, known as Newtonian or classical mechanics, and we now have the why that explains the model in a near perfect manner. It is so successful that it has enabled us to send people into earth and moon orbits, to the moon itself and return to earth. We have been able to navigate probes to all the planets and beyond. People have stood on our moon and observed our planet rotating in front of them in real time. Any other cosmology finds it necessary to suspend known laws of science, hypothesize supernatural intervention and invoke a conspiracy theory extending over centuries involving tens of millions of people a great many of whom are Christian.

In Old Testament times it is certainly true that they regarded the earth as flat in a three tiered universe --- flat with a sky-dome (the firmament) overhead. Just like the rapture theory and the trinity theory, the flat earth worldview is nowhere stated explicitly but it is alluded to in many places. There are also many old testament and even a few new testament stories that are only to be understood in a flat earth context. Generally this flat earth was regarded as circular but we are in places told that it has four corners and is supported by pillars and that there are storehouses for the snow and hail. Of course this seems very primitive to us today but we must remember that these scriptures come out of a far less sophisticated culture. A culture that was deeply suspicious of anything Gentile. It may well be that some of the educated elite were aware of the Greek notion of a spherical world but with an illiteracy rate of about 90% the common people certainly were not. The scriptures were most likely written with the naivety of the common people in mind and used language that would not stretch their credulity too far.

In New Testament times, the young Christian church had a similar suspicion of paganism. Over a period of several centuries it systematically destroyed all things pagan. Temples, shrines, academies, libraries and universities were pulled down and burned. Their priests, teachers and professors were tortured and executed often in front of bloodthirsty Christian mobs. They destroyed not just spiritual works but any book even the slightest bit tainted by paganism even if it was on astronomy, medicine, engineering, technology, mathematics, geography, history or architecture. This massive loss of the underpinnings of civilization contributed in part to the decline and fall of the Roman Empire and the subsequent thousand years of the Dark Ages. In AD 380 after a yet another wave of persecution, the 95 year-old hierophant Nestorius, ended the Eleusinian Mysteries and announced the predominance of mental darkness over the human race. How very ironic and prophetic!

It is little wonder then that the flat earth notion persisted so long and that the bible was used to support it. After all the flat earth was the biblical worldview. Should it concern us that the bible supported this notion? Not at all! We do not need to rush to its defense and use weasel words to somehow prove to ourselves that the bible authors had the same worldview that we do. We must realize that these authors lived in a historical context and that the language and ideas that they used fit that context as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I accept what the Torah & prophets teach. I reject gentile "scientists" who fabricated a cosmology centered around the worship of their sun god.
You are rejecting known fact. Honestly, I'm not going to bother with this discussion any longer. It does not rise to the level of a worthy conversation.

Upvote 0