Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been spending time on the Exploring Christianity forum and have found the most common reason given by unbelievers there for not accepting the God of the Bible is the doctrine of hell. They perceive it as a grossly unjust punishment by God, and are understandably disturbed by the concept of God burning people in a lake of fire for all eternity. Because it is one of the more common arguments against Christianity, and also because many Christians, myself included, have a difficult time coming to terms with the doctrine, I thought it would be good to try to develop a coherent understanding of what the Bible teaches about hell that upholds God's goodness, love, righteousness, and justice. After quite a bit of study and contemplation, this is what I have developed. I post it here not as a definitive statement on what hell actually is, but as my thoughts on it as I studied many of the relevant passages. I want you to look at it critically and find flaws in the logic, if there are any. I will seek to defend my understanding, and anyone else who has supporting ideas please feel free to post them as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is a quick sketch of what I am thinking:

Wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:12; 13:42; etc.): "Wailing" is a Jewish practice of loud mourning over something or someone. "Gnashing of teeth" is either intense suffering/grief or intense anger. Those who have seen and experienced God's wonderful presence and are then forced to spend eternity separated from it will undoubtedly mourn and suffer grief.

Fire (Matthew 25:41; Mark 9:43; etc.) is many times used as a symbol of God's judgment in Scripture. As fire consumes into ashes, so God's judgment upon the wicked rebellious dead would consume them and bring them to utter ruin. Scripture also speaks of fire purifying metals, so it can also be looked upon as such a process.

Jesus also referred to it as outer darkness (Matthew 8:12; 25:30; etc.). In Hebrew, the word for darkness holds the connotation of twisting, or turning, away from the light. So the judgment would be for those who turn/twist away from the light... "God is light".

The worm does not die (Mark 9:48) typified the unending corruption of the soul consumed with sin.

The Greek word we translate torment (Revelation 14:11) literally means "to try against the stone", a metaphor taken from metal working, where the metal being heated would be taken from the fire and rubbed against a test stone to determine it's purity. That word eventually came to also be used of the torture Roman officials used to pry confessions from those they believed to be criminals. In the case of Revelation, the combination of fire and torment could very easily be looked at as a reference to the metal working practice, not the practice of Roman authorities.

The second death (Revelation 20:14; 21:8) is a direct reference back to Genesis 2:17, where God tells Adam that the day he eats of the forbidden tree he will "surely die"... the text literally reads "die die". In other words, die twice: physical death (the separation of the soul from the body) and spiritual death (separation of relationship/communion with God).

So all the different references together, when taken as metaphors, indicate that hell is a place of God's judgment where the soul will be brought to ruin, intense sorrow and grief will be common, a place of turning/twisting away from God's light, where sins corruption does not cease, where they will be tested for purity "day and night" (yet because of sins ongoing corruption they will never become pure), rightly identified as the final spiritual separation from communion with God. Not a burning furnace where people are tortured by flames, immortal fireproof worms, and intense darkness. Yet more like a prison for those who will never be reformed from their sinfulness, who continually twist/turn away from God's light. It is the ruin of the soul's purpose of loving communion with God. It is the quarantine of those contaminated by sin from those who have been purified by the blood of Jesus Christ. What exactly do the lost actually sense/experience? I don't know.

Could it be that the very existence of hell, where the corruption of sin goes on in those who reject God, not be an additional source of wisdom for those who choose to obey God? Does the constant testing of the soul for purity, yet always finding sins corruption, not reveal the justice of God for their continued confinement?

I have also been wrestling with this doctrine because I am currently leading a Bible study. Again, thank you in advance for your corrections and insights.

Last edited:
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Subscribing. And I appreciate where your thoughts are running. I especially like:

Yet more like a prison for those who will never be reformed from their sinfulness, who continually twist/turn away from God's light. It is the ruin of the soul's purpose of loving communion with God. It is the quarantine of those contaminated by sin from those who have been purified by the blood of Jesus Christ.

I basically agree. Hell is the hell of continually turning inward to the self and downward toward material things, rather than outward toward God and upward toward heavenly things. That is a hell of our own creation, and because of its potential for destroying creation it needs to be quarantined. I don't think that that view conflicts with idea that sinners receive punishment in hell for their transgressions, but I do think it helps explain why hell is different than purgatory and why those separated from God are eternally separated and not simply receiving infinite punishment for finite sin.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Subscribing also, though not much to add (nothing substantive).

I have been spending time on the Exploring Christianity forum and have found the most common reason given by unbelievers there for not accepting the God of the Bible is the doctrine of hell. They perceive it as a grossly unjust punishment by God, and are understandably disturbed by the concept of God burning people in a lake of fire for all eternity.

Yes, I saw that too.

On the one hand, I can understand what they perceive as unfairness. But of course, God is just, so either we have something in our doctrine wrong, or they are looking at it wrongly, or both.

On the other hand, I find it sadly ironic. It would seem hell would be the best reason an unbeliever might see to make investigating Christianity worthwhile. And yet that is the very idea that keeps them away? (I do understand that it is basically a problem with how they view GOD because of what they infer from His means of punishment.)

So all the different references together, when taken as metaphors, indicate that hell is a place of God's judgment where the soul will be brought to ruin, intense sorrow and grief will be common, a place of turning/twisting away from God's light, where sins corruption does not cease, where they will be tested for purity "day and night" (yet because of sins ongoing corruption they will never become pure), rightly identified as the final spiritual separation from communion with God. Not a burning furnace where people are tortured by flames, immortal fireproof worms, and intense darkness. Yet more like a prison for those who will never be reformed from their sinfulness, who continually twist/turn away from God's light. It is the ruin of the soul's purpose of loving communion with God. It is the quarantine of those contaminated by sin from those who have been purified by the blood of Jesus Christ. What exactly do the lost actually sense/experience? I don't know.

Like GCC, the idea of a prison resonates well with me - I don't know why. It "feels true" is all I can say. Though I wouldn't rule out the idea that there may in fact be flames there, or any other aspects we imagine of hell.

The frightening thing is - God has said that He has prepared things beyond the imagination for those who love Him. What if hell is equally, unimaginably horrible?

I hope this thread proves fruitful, with input from those with more insight than I.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have always felt that hell is the eternal separation of God, which to me is the worst kind of punishment.

Most people imagined hell is thanks to Dante's Inferno. I don't think hell is like that at all.

On a side note, I don't know if I have a slight disgust of poetry or just had a bad translation, but Dante's Inferno was so hard to read I never bothered reading the other parts of his divine comedy.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I find it interesting how those who reject Hell cry how unfair it is, while don't really consider the very high price paid for people to be allowed (unfairly) to go to heaven. I tend to ask the one question: If God was absolutely fair with the punishment of those in Hell would those who reject it then have a reason to continue to reject it? I think the contention is that God cannot fairly send people to hell and punish them there.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I have always felt that hell is the eternal separation of God, which to me is the worst kind of punishment.

Most people imagined hell is thanks to Dante's Inferno. I don't think hell is like that at all.

On a side note, I don't know if I have a slight disgust of poetry or just had a bad translation, but Dante's Inferno was so hard to read I never bothered reading the other parts of his divine comedy.

Do you know which translation it was?

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I toy with the idea of levels of Hell with varying degrees of eternal suffering according to earthly deeds.

I'm not married to the idea, but I certainly hope that even in Hell there is a difference in quality between the eternal existence of a young child never exposed to the Gospel and that of a heinous and unrepentant criminal.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I toy with the idea of levels of Hell with varying degrees of eternal suffering according to earthly deeds.

I'm not married to the idea, but I certainly hope that even in Hell there is a difference in quality between the eternal existence of a young child never exposed to the Gospel and that of a heinous and unrepentant criminal.

One would hope so.

I can't prove it from the Bible, but the mind rather recoils at the idea of a God of love consigning a small child who never heard the Gospel to hell. Doesn't seem like something He would do, if He loved enough to send His Son to die for our sakes.

Not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful of anyone else's beliefs by the way. That one just really hits me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Subscribing. And I appreciate where your thoughts are running. I especially like:

I basically agree. Hell is the hell of continually turning inward to the self and downward toward material things, rather than outward toward God and upward toward heavenly things. That is a hell of our own creation, and because of its potential for destroying creation it needs to be quarantined. I don't think that that view conflicts with idea that sinners receive punishment in hell for their transgressions, but I do think it helps explain why hell is different than purgatory and why those separated from God are eternally separated and not simply receiving infinite punishment for finite sin.

Thanks Gratia. I agree that the very nature of sin is the punishment of their own creating, not some torture that God externally inflicts upon the unsaved. Once one is eternally separated from God, who is the source of all that is good, sin and it's corrupting nature will gradually consume the soul and bring it to utter ruin, eventually leaving nothing good behind.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On the one hand, I can understand what they perceive as unfairness. But of course, God is just, so either we have something in our doctrine wrong, or they are looking at it wrongly, or both.

I think it's both.

On the other hand, I find it sadly ironic. It would seem hell would be the best reason an unbeliever might see to make investigating Christianity worthwhile. And yet that is the very idea that keeps them away? (I do understand that it is basically a problem with how they view GOD because of what they infer from His means of punishment.)

I think it has to do with the modern church's overwhelming emphasis on the love of God, while neglecting His righteousness and justice. Apart from being aware that God is ALL of those things to a perfect degree, the whole concept of punishment for sins falls flat.

Like GCC, the idea of a prison resonates well with me - I don't know why. It "feels true" is all I can say. Though I wouldn't rule out the idea that there may in fact be flames there, or any other aspects we imagine of hell.

Perhaps.

The frightening thing is - God has said that He has prepared things beyond the imagination for those who love Him. What if hell is equally, unimaginably horrible?

The consequences of sin on the soul is unimaginably horrible to one as pure and good as God.

I hope this thread proves fruitful, with input from those with more insight than I.

Don't sell yourself short, Kylissa... I appreciate your input.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately hell is more than a doctrine... It is a reality. I cannot imagine the grief of someone who ends up there with no hope of ever escaping.

Please don't take me in the wrong way... hell is real, perhaps more real in some ways than this current temporary reality we live in.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I confess I've never read any of Dante... the vast majority of poetry I've read is in the Bible. Just never really enjoyed poetry except for lyrics set to music I enjoy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it interesting how those who reject Hell cry how unfair it is, while don't really consider the very high price paid for people to be allowed (unfairly) to go to heaven. I tend to ask the one question: If God was absolutely fair with the punishment of those in Hell would those who reject it then have a reason to continue to reject it? I think the contention is that God cannot fairly send people to hell and punish them there.

For most, I think it is the cruelty of the literal view along with the eternal duration (as you pointed out) that causes them to think it unjust.

My thought is that the quarantine, being separated from communion with God and the redeemed, is the only punishment God really has to inflict... being consumed with their sin is it's own punishment.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The greater a being's sin, the greater their suffering under it's corruption. Jesus clearly said that their will be levels of punishment:

Luk 12:47-48 "And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, (48) but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

I can't prove it from the Bible, but I agree with Kylissa... I don't think children will be consigned to hell.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the infinite light of heaven seems like hell to us because we are fallen

Praise the grace and mercy of God that we were allowed to choose/receive His light based upon the revelation of that light in human flesh, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Crazy side note: I just thought of our process of sanctification as like moths flying into the light lol Then... I wondered if evolutionary theory could explain that behavior in so many insect species... why fly toward the sun, away from food? Why fly towards a fire? But I digress... I'll have to post that one in the Physical and Life Sciences forum.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever one's definition of hell, a Biblical Christian should not lose sight of the fact that God shall lay a curse upon the nonbeliever and shall lay a blessing upon the nonbeliever. This is what distinguishes the saved and the damned in the next life. If anyone does not love the Lord—a curse be on him. 1 Corinthians 16:22 (NIV).

I think you mean "a blessing upon the believer", right? What greater curse could there be than being cut off from communion with God, the source of all that is good, and be consumed by ones own sinfulness?

Upvote 0