Feb 23, 2008
✟8,589.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are a few issues that distinguish Fundamentalists from Evangelicals. While all Fundamentalists are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are Fundamentalists. One (certainly not the only) of these issues is found in the following from our SOF which is from an earlier document.

Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy

Please note it not only reads "separates" but also "exposes" I have in the past compromised with error on this board and wavered on some issues due to weakness of conviction. I pray those days are over and that weakness is a thing of the past.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are a few issues that distinguish Fundamentalists from Evangelicals. While all Fundamentalists are Evangelical, not all Evangelicals are Fundamentalists. One (certainly not the only) of these issues is found in the following from our SOF which is from an earlier document.

Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy

Please note it not only reads "separates" but also "exposes" I have in the past compromised with error on this board and wavered on some issues due to weakness of conviction. I pray those days are over and that weakness is a thing of the past.

I too, recently went to bat with the Fundamentalist banner as my guide.

See here: http://www.christianforums.com/t7587175/

The sub-heading for this area states:

Fundamentalist Christians The forum for fundamentalist & conservative churches of all Christian denominations.

Have you read what the SoF for the Conservative areqa says?

Let me save you the trouble. Here it is:

A few things to know about us:

1. The Holy Scriptures are the inspired, written Word of God. The revelation of Scripture is completely reliable, inerrant and authoritative. Some conservative Christians also hold church tradition to be a source of authority.
2 Timothy 3:16

2. Human life is sacred from conception to death, though some conservative Christians accept that the death penalty is justified, by judicial process, in capital or other grave cases.
Exodus 20:13

3. We believe that the Nicene Creed is an accurate description of the nature of God.

4.We believe in the literal authenticity of Christ's miracles, and the historical accuracy of events described in the Bible.
Acts 2:22

5. We believe in the judgment of God, and in a literal Heaven and Hell.
Acts 10:42 ; Mark 16:19 ; Luke 12:5

6. We have a traditional Christian view of morality. We oppose sexual activity outside a traditional marriage between one man and one woman, abortion on demand and euthanasia.
Genesis 2:24 ; Psalm 51:5

http://www.christianforums.com/t7395085/

See the bolded part in the first point?

I know of no Fundamentalist who accepts "church tradition" as authoritative.

But as Fundamentalists, we have to accepts this from Conservatives?

Isn't that the same thing Catholicism and Orthodoxy believes?

Don't go down this road brother, it'll end in disappointment here.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mr. webster,

Here are a few. All reliable translations made from the most reliable copies that we have today. This would include: The translation of the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts used for the King James translation. Also, the Revised Standard translation. Also the New King James translation and the New Revised Standard translation. The New American Standard translation and the New International translation.

As you can see, there are many, many translations that have been made following, as best we can, the copies that remain of the earliest Scriptures. While, there are admittedly some differences in very minor wording and in some cases a different choice of which word a base text word might be translated to, the overall account, intent and purpose of each of these translations of the copies of Scripture that are available to us is in full 100% agreement.

You cannot read the King James and be left with any lack of sense for who God is, who you are, why God created and why we are here. Similarly, you cannot read any of the other reliable translations of the Scriptures and come away with any greater or lesser understanding of these things for which the Scriptures were written unto man. The Scriptures were given to mankind to serve a useful purpose and with whatever reliable translation you would choose as most understandable for you, God will not leave you without the witness of His Spirit to give you the understanding that you need. It is God's promise to His children. The Scriptures are written that we might know our creator and our purpose, but understanding them, no matter the translation, comes by the love and direction and wisdom of God's Holy Spirit.

He is a gracious and loving God and the very last thing He desires for those who diligently seek Him is that they not find Him. However, I don't know where you found the explanation of our faith in the inerrency of God's word, but most all such statements are referring to what was originally penned by the original authors. What we have today are believed to be translations made from reliable copies of these sources. In other words we hold that the original Scriptures are inerrent and believe that most, not all, of the translations that have since been made are also reliable in bringing to our mind the proper understanding of these originals.

Most of that faith comes from the born again believer's faith that God would not leave us without a reliable witness. That He is as much concerned and involved, through His Spirit, in seeing to it that the world at large has available what is needed for understanding the way of His salvation, both today as much as in the days that the originals were penned.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not read an accurate SoF on this board yet, who wrote them?

Those you dare not question.

The Admins.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Mr. webster,

Here are a few. All reliable translations made from the most reliable copies that we have today. This would include: The translation of the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts used for the King James translation. Also, the Revised Standard translation. Also the New King James translation and the New Revised Standard translation. The New American Standard translation and the New International translation.

I agree with you up to the last part.

Here is what I know of the NIT:

Both NLT and NIV are meaning for meaning translations, which means the main idea of the passage is translated rather than translating word from word from the original text. However, the NLT version is more of a thought by thought translation while NIV can sometimes translate literally, making it hard to understand.

So I just stick with the Greek, KJV, NKJV, RSV, ASV.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, being admin does not make them right.

I agree, but...

"Render unto Caesar, the things that are Caesar's"

This is their forum, and we did agree to abide by their rules...

Like I said, I fought this battle months ago, and what did it change?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, but...

"Render unto Caesar, the things that are Caesar's"

This is their forum, and we did agree to abide by their rules...

Like I said, I fought this battle months ago, and what did it change?

God Bless

Till all are one.

No rules are being broken.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No rules are being broken.

Never said there were.

Simply said the Admins make the rules, they make the descriptions of the areas, and evidently they see nothing wrong or inconsistant with Conservative Christians who hold to "church tradition" as authoritative calling themselves Fundies.

Now if you want pick up the banner I started, be my guest.

But something tells me that nobody is going to do this.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never said there were.

Simply said the Admins make the rules, they make the descriptions of the areas, and evidently they see nothing wrong or inconsistant with Conservative Christians who hold to "church tradition" as authoritative calling themselves Fundies.

Now if you want pick up the banner I started, be my guest.

But something tells me that nobody is going to do this.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Everyone has the right to be wrong. All the forums are much the same anyway. Guess John can have his thread back.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would have thought it was obvious that a literal understanding of the scriptures is inconsistent with varied and often contradictory church traditions.

^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0