NSW Central Coast
✟61,615.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Each one of us is born with natural gifts and talents which we employ to make our way in the world At the moment of the new birth each and every one of God’s children have imparted to them “spiritual gifts” which are provided to enable each to fulfil their unique role as a member of the Body of Christ.

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. (1 Corinthians 12:7, NIV)

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 4:10‑11, NIV)

The gifts and callings of God are “irrevocable” (Romans 11:29) and these spiritual gifts remain with each one of us throughout our lifetime, whether or not they are recognised or utilised.

The New Testament sets out four separate lists of spiritual gifts (Romans 12:6‑8, 1 Corinthians 12:7‑11, 1 Corinthians 12:27‑28, 1 Peter 4:10‑11)

These lists in no way limit the number of these gifts or the manner in which they are utilised. There are, in fact, at least as many different gifts as there are members of the Body. Some may be similar and may be called by the same name, but all are different. What may appear to be the "same" gift is actually being exercised in ways which are moulded by the recipient’s own personality and the training and equipping that they have experienced at the hand of their great Shepherd.

Regardless of what our calling may be, it is by the spiritual authority that accompanies the exercise of these gifts that enables God’s children to be actively involved in “building up” those members of the Body of Christ with whom they associate.

For example:
  • the exercise of the gift of “encouragement” (Romans 12:8) enables them to communicate, by the power of the Holy Spirit, the strength and hope that is needed by those who are feeling the heat of the battle.
  • Those who are endowed with the gift of "giving" (Romans 12:8) carry with them the authority and power, through what they do, to control and defeat the feelings of fear and panic that challenge the faith of so many of God’s children when they are confronted with financial and other difficulties.
  • The gift of teaching (Romans 12:7) carries with it the authority to dispel the confusion, darkness and unbelief that permeate the very atmosphere in which we live (Ephesians 2:1‑3).

And so we could go on. As God’s people exercise the gifts with which he has entrusted them, be they great or seemingly small, they do so with the authority that accompanies those gifts.

[It is important to note that we should not see these gifts as belonging to the individual. They are given to the Body of Christ. God’s children are merely the custodians of the gifts with the sobering responsibility of exercising them to the greatest benefit of the Body.]

I am often reminded of the story of a man who, for most of his life, attended a church located, from memory, in the north of England. While being a respected member of the church, he was quiet and reserved and never held what might be termed a “prominent” position in the congregation. However, when he died the church was packed to overflowing with mourners. This came as quite a surprise to many there, but as the day wore on the true story of his life started to emerge.

Although not a wealthy man, he spent his life seeking out those who were experiencing financial difficulties, discreetly approaching them and offering them financial assistance on three conditions. Firstly, they were never to pay it back. Secondly, they were not to tell anyone what he had done and thirdly they were to do the same for someone else when they had the ability and the opportunity to do so. In this way he had, over many years, helped hundreds of people through times of financial stress.

This brother in Christ was exercising (in his unique way) the spiritual gift of “giving.” It was a burden that God had placed upon his heart to which he yielded himself and which he had allowed to develop over his lifetime.

As a consequence, it provided him with the authority and the power to confront and overcome the spiritual forces of fear and despair which were challenging the faith of those to whom he ministered.

Last edited:

Allan Walker

Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2020
NSW Central Coast
✟61,615.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not that I have come across. Unfortunately, there have been those who have acted as if they were apostles, but proved themselves to be false apostles.

It is impossible not to believe that God has been doing exactly what he has planned to do within the church. However, those who have been appointed to this role have largely been absorbed into the ecclesiastical authority structures and have been hidden from our view. This is certainly true in Western civilization but they may be more evident in the depths of the African jungles.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
Not all the apostles in the bible left a track record, they just disappeared into history. Likewise, being an apostle isn't about heroic deeds, but just going where the Lord leads.

Ultimately, being an apostle means listening to God and going where he leads, being sent by God. In some cases, that can be translated as a missionary, although many are no more than apparatchiks of a big religious organisation, rather than listening to God.

Years ago, the Lord gave me an apostolic calling to industry. I did what I was called to do for about 20years, and it transformed many lives. I never spoke to anyone about the calling, but then a visiting minister prophesied that calling over me without knowing anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTES]
It's religion that creates that particular interpretation of the word.
Here's what the Greek word itself means.-
apostolos: a messenger, one sent on a mission, an apostle
Original Word: ἀπόστολος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: apostolos
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-os'-tol-os)
Definition: a messenger, one sent on a mission, an apostle
Usage: a messenger, envoy, delegate, one commissioned by another to represent him in some way, especially a man sent out by Jesus Christ Himself to preach the Gospel; an apostle.

If you deny the apostolic calling today, ie. the idea that Jesus still sends people out, then all Christian ministries must immediately cease, and their workers go and get a real job!

If Christ has not sent or called people to go, then today's so called Christian mission or ministry are all works of the flesh and of no spiritual worth!
You can't have it both ways.

Again, you are reading into the scriptures something it does not say. Yes all the signs and wonder validated the call of the apostles, but in no way does that exclude what other apostles did. You will recall there were places where Jesus could not do any miracles. You will also recall (2Tim2v40) that Paul left Trophimus behind sick when he went off. Why didn't he heal him?

It always amuses me how ready cessationists are to reject certain ministries like apostle and prophet, yet keep ministries such as pastor, teacher, and evangelist.

And the reason they like these ministries? Because like the Pharisees, they can occupy these ministries from their intellect and academic qualifications without any reference to the Holy Spirit.
That's why cessationists are so quick to damn any manifestation of the Holy Spirit as coming from demons or other deception.

We believe that God is still calling and sending people today, and we gather here to encourage one another, not undermine that calling.
So if you want to deny the gifts of the spirit or the ministries of the spirit, please do so on the other areas, not here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, there are signs, wonders, and working of miracles today.

Think it's interesting that Jesus, while on earth, said look at the signs and wonders "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in Him." John 10:37-38

It works the same way today.

Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States