The discrimination of choosing only believers !

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are those who hold that election to salvation is wrong and unethical , such is the enmity between natural thinking and Divine Election that many attempts have been made over centuries to avoid the dreaded doctrine of election , this is done in several ways but always with one goal in mind , in order to make God appear fair and just and loving and leave man accountable .

Yet , how is this done ?
Usually it is done by bringing in Gods prescience , His knowledge of who will be saved is usually the way forward for those who dispose of absolute Divine Sovereignty .

But is this achieved ?

All attempts at denying Divine discrimination should be questioned.

How is it not discriminatory and unfair to only select a part of mankind for salvation who qualify ?

But we are told 'all God requires is faith"

How is that not discriminatory ?

Are not millions born more gullible than others ?

Are not millions born more distrusting of others ?

Why that criteria ?

Also , and more so , if faith itself is not able to merit us salvation , then we are right back with Gods absolute sovereignty in saving whom He will , and It cannot be upon the basis (merit) of faith otherwise faith itself earns us salvation .

So faith doesn't merit salvation , thus it cannot be anything other than Gods discriminating will that chooses only those who have faith , but not because they have it !

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You either remain trusting a very unreliable “self” or trust God, it is your choice.

All mature adults have experienced “trust” in both the positive and negative ways and can learn about trust from these experiences. The distrust of others might make them more willing to try the creator of the universe and those that have trusted in everything have learned not everything is worthy of being trusted and might turn to God.

Why that criteria ?
Trusting in the creator of the universe is something the lowliest mature adult on earth can easily do, so it is a humbling experience and that little humility is all that is needed to humbly accept God’s charity.
Also , and more so , if faith itself is not able to merit us salvation , then we are right back with Gods absolute sovereignty in saving whom He will , and It cannot be upon the basis (merit) of faith otherwise faith itself earns us salvation .
You have two doors to choose with unbelievable gifts behind door one and hell behind door two, so in choosing door one did you “merit” anything?

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You either remain trusting a very unreliable “self” or trust God, it is your choice.

All mature adults have experienced “trust” in both the positive and negative ways and can learn about trust from these experiences. The distrust of others might make them more willing to try the creator of the universe and those that have trusted in everything have learned not everything is worthy of being trusted and might turn to God.

Trusting in the creator of the universe is something the lowliest mature adult on earth can easily do, so it is a humbling experience and that little humility is all that is needed to humbly accept God’s charity.

You have two doors to choose with unbelievable gifts behind door one and hell behind door two, so in choosing door one did you “merit” anything?

Yet the criteria is not chosen by man , we didn't decide to get saved by faith as a criteria , God chose that method not us , and He chose it knowing few would be saved !

Secondly , the guy who believes anything because he's gullible may get to heaven through gullibility , yet the guy who has suffered and learned distrust may simply find the gospel unbelievable , based upon experience and deduction , therefore he is being punished for being honest ! Fair ?

Then there are those who work for salvation and end up damned for misunderstanding , their so called good works go up in smoke with them ! Is that fair ?

Then there are those who acknowledge works of the Law don't save but Gospel works do ? They see faith as being rewarded by salvation , faith is all there is stopping hells gates from locking them down so they believe faith is meritous , yes , they believe God grants salvation BECAUSE THEY BELIEVED ! Fair ?

Then way down the list others maintain faith no more merits salvation than works !

Which places salvation EXACTLY BACK WHERE IT BELONGS : upon Gods discriminating Good will .

Either a person is saved as a reward for faith (faith without works is dead remember ) or man is saved in spite of himself through faith by a discriminating act of God . Either way we are back directly to Gods absolute sovereignty .

Even faith is imperfect and flawed , yet Christ still saved Thomas ......

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The divine order in our lives is shown in rev 17 as

'called - chosen - faithful.'

The ones who are called - chosen - faithful, are the ones who are with Jesus.

Being Called means the Holy Spirit has chosen us to be faithful.

For those who say God will not bend their will to His purposes overriding their own freedom, read verse 17 for an example of that.

Rev 17
12 “The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast. 13 These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast.

14 These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”

15 Then he said to me, “The waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. 16 And the ten horns which you saw on[d] the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire.

17 For God has put it into their hearts to fulfill His purpose, to be of one mind, and to give their kingdom to the beast, until the words of God are fulfilled. 18 And the woman whom you saw is that great city which reigns over the kings of the earth.”

All through scripture, God tells us He has chosen certain things for His own purposes.

1 Kings 11
9 So the Lord became angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned from the Lord God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice, 10 and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not keep what the Lord had commanded. 11 Therefore the Lord said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you and give it to your servant. 12 Nevertheless I will not do it in your days, for the sake of your father David; I will tear it out of the hand of your son. 13 However I will not tear away the whole kingdom; I will give one tribe to your son for the sake of My servant David, and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen.”

And again to Jeroboam, God says.
31 And he said to Jeroboam, “Take for yourself ten pieces, for thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: ‘Behold, I will tear the kingdom out of the hand of Solomon and will give ten tribes to you 32 (but he shall have one tribe for the sake of My servant David, and for the sake of Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel), 33 because they have[a] forsaken Me, and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the people of Ammon, and have not walked in My ways to do what is right in My eyes and keep My statutes and My judgments, as did his father David. 34 However I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand, because I have made him ruler all the days of his life for the sake of My servant David, whom I chose because he kept My commandments and My statutes. 35 But I will take the kingdom out of his son’s hand and give it to you—ten tribes. 36 And to his son I will give one tribe, that My servant David may always have a lamp before Me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen for Myself, to put My name there. 37 So I will take you, and you shall reign over all your heart desires, and you shall be king over Israel. 38 Then it shall be, if you heed all that I command you, walk in My ways, and do what is right in My sight, to keep My statutes and My commandments, as My servant David did, then I will be with you and build for you an enduring house, as I built for David, and will give Israel to you. 39 And I will afflict the descendants of David because of this, but not forever.’”

What I get from this is God prior to the judgments against Israel due to their sins, says He has chosen Jerusalem. God's got a plan and this plan was not affected by these current sins of the people. God has chosen to put His name there in Jerusalem and nothing would prevent that.

Jerusalem where the free women gives birth Paul writes is the mother of us all.

All referred to here is not the children of the slave women but of the free.

Gal 4
26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”[e]

God has made certain deterministic decisions independent of man's actions.
In Galatians God has made a decree and it is carried out. The son of the slave women will not inherit with the son of the free women.
It is Jesus who makes us free.

IF the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed! And then you will inherit the kingdom of God.

John 8
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.

36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Jesus making us free goes back to who are the children of the promise.
And the promise came from God. So it is a monergistic decisional choice God has made, those who will be made free children of the promise.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet the criteria is not chosen by man , we didn't decide to get saved by faith as a criteria , God chose that method not us , and He chose it knowing few would be saved !
The “faith” is to help us fulfill our earthly objective and is not some arbitrary rule set by God. We spend time here on earth to fulfill an objective and not to jump through some arbitrary hop.

Secondly , the guy who believes anything because he's gullible may get to heaven through gullibility , yet the guy who has suffered and learned distrust may simply find the gospel unbelievable , based upon experience and deduction , therefore he is being punished for being honest ! Fair ?
This “guy” that is gullible is not applying a saving faith toward God put an: “I believe anything”, faith toward God, that is not a humbling activity for him but part of his personality.
Faith in the “gospel” requires a change in the person, the person must first trust in the existence of a Creator (only the fool would say there is no god, so he must at least be honest about his own reasoning), so that takes very little “faith”/ trust. All mature adult nonbelievers at some point in their lives feel the burden of their past decisions that have hurt others (sin) and it is in seeking relief from this burden that draws them to a benevolent Creator, where the only true relief can be found.
Then there are those who work for salvation and end up damned for misunderstanding , their so called good works go up in smoke with them ! Is that fair ?
People that try “works” to relief there burden of sin, still feel burdened (since they do not go away with works). They over time will have those ‘come to their senses” occasions and can fall on their knees and cry for mercy (God’s Love) or continue to try and maintain their false pride/ refusing to accept God’s charity.

Then there are those who acknowledge works of the Law don't save but Gospel works do ? They see faith as being rewarded by salvation , faith is all there is stopping hells gates from locking them down so they believe faith is meritous , yes , they believe God grants salvation BECAUSE THEY BELIEVED ! Fair ?
Again refusing to accept God’s charity (wanting to earn it, pay it back or deserve it), not wanting to be “loved” in spite of who they are, but wanting to be “loved” for who people think they are. That carnal type love is not in heaven and they would not be happy in heave where there is only unselfish type Love.

Then way down the list others maintain faith no more merits salvation than works !

Which places salvation EXACTLY BACK WHERE IT BELONGS : upon Gods discriminating Good will .

Either a person is saved as a reward for faith (faith without works is dead remember ) or man is saved in spite of himself through faith by a discriminating act of God . Either way we are back directly to Gods absolute sovereignty .

Even faith is imperfect and flawed , yet Christ still saved Thomas ......

Faith is contrasted to work or you can talk about spiritual “work” as being faith (the only thing man brings to the relationship. The lowliest person on earth can put their trust in a benevolent creator, so what kind of “work” (achievement) is that? God gave everyone the ability (faith) so all we do is give up on trusting self and our faith will automatically turn to a benevolent creator.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are those who hold that election to salvation is wrong and unethical , such is the enmity between natural thinking and Divine Election that many attempts have been made over centuries to avoid the dreaded doctrine of election , this is done in several ways but always with one goal in mind , in order to make God appear fair and just and loving and leave man accountable .

Yet , how is this done ?
Usually it is done by bringing in Gods prescience , His knowledge of who will be saved is usually the way forward for those who dispose of absolute Divine Sovereignty .

But is this achieved ?

How is it not discriminatory and unfair to only select a part of mankind for salvation who qualify ?

Why that criteria ?

So faith doesn't merit salvation , thus it cannot be anything other than Gods discriminating will that chooses only those who have faith , but not because they have it !

Just mentioning the Biblical doctrine of election is like the shudders from pronouncing a death sentence to many a non-Calvinist.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I started a thread along these lines some time ago. Or at least I wanted it to be.

I asked the question concerning why people have such a big problem with the fairness of God in sovereign election when there are just as many problems with fairness in other (non-Calvinist) systems.

It didn’t take very long for that thread to become just a debate about the truth of election in the scriptures. People missed the point completely it seemed.

It just seems to me that God comes across as selective and authoritarian concerning sin and salvation no matter how you believe these things. If you leave Him totally sovereign – He seems cruel. If you take away His sovereignty and say that He simply “allows” things – He seems cruel as well.

It seems that we can’t get around the fact that He knew all this would happen and did it anyway. The whole “problem of evil” thing comes into play no matter how you cut it.

Some try to say that “free will” takes away all the problems. But it doesn’t. If anything it makes understanding His thinking even more difficult.

Long story short – I see a generally Calvinistic theology in the scriptures. But I still have a problem with His creating billions of beings who for the most part would be better off had they never been born. Also – believing in absolute sovereignty over every movement of every atom in the universe as I do – it sure seems like He is responsible for sin in some way.

I’m a Calvinist who doesn’t subscribe to limited atonement. As a result I believe that He took the punishment for every sin in this universe. I definitely believe that God is without sin. Never the less it does take the burden of concern from me concerning His responsibility knowing that He has already “punished Himself” for sin.

I suppose that’s a strange way for a truly born again Christian to express things. But it just seems to me that (if God was the big sinner in all this) my concerns are lifted completely knowing that I couldn’t add any more punishment to His judgment than He has already suffered. - even if I somehow found him guilty.

(I’m just being honest. He knows my heart in this.)

Go ahead and unload on me if you feel you must. But - Am I the only Christian who ever thought this way?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just mentioning the Biblical doctrine of election is like the shudders from pronouncing a death sentence to many a non-Calvinist.
That's because non-Calvinists understand what election is, not what Calvinism thinks it is.

I'm going to start a thread with an exegesis of Eph 1:4. I invite you there. :)

Upvote 0

JesusFreak78

Reformed Baptist
Feb 11, 2005
Minnesota, USA
✟27,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Yet , how is this done ?

But is this achieved ?

Why that criteria ?

I agree with you, God's sovereign will is the basis for who God chooses to save, but the reason for not everyone has faith, I think is something that is based on (Philippians 1:29) God is the one Who grants faith/believe in Him.

Philippians 1:29
For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You must be born again.
Most of the world thinks this is foolishness, scratches their heads and ask "how can these things be?"
“I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children."

Upvote 0
I

Iconoclast85

Long story short – I see a generally Calvinistic theology in the scriptures. But I still have a problem with His creating billions of beings who for the most part would be better off had they never been born. Also – believing in absolute sovereignty over every movement of every atom in the universe as I do – it sure seems like He is responsible for sin in some way.
MK.....A Holy God does not and cannot sin or be held responsible for sin.
That is a theological third rail:confused:

Never forget God's holy and revealed attributes. He is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
keep studying.....When he told Adam, dying thou shalt surely die...it was deadly serious and the results are a sin cursed creation....it is ONLY MERCY that any of us are saved:)

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Iconoclast85 said,

"MK.....A Holy God does not and cannot sin or be held responsible for sin.
That is a theological third rail:confused:

Never forget God's holy and revealed attributes. He is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
keep studying.....When he told Adam, dying thou shalt surely die...it was deadly serious and the results are a sin cursed creation....it is ONLY MERCY that any of us are saved:) "

Please do notice that I said the following:

"Believing in absolute sovereignty over every movement of every atom in the universe as I do – it sure seems like He is responsible for sin in some way."

I’m a Calvinist who doesn’t subscribe to limited atonement. As a result I believe that He took the punishment for every sin in this universe. I definitely believe that God is without sin. Never the less it does take the burden of concern from me concerning His responsibility knowing that He has already “punished Himself” for sin.

Those who don't believe in the absolute sovereignty of God don't have to wrestle with the "problem of evil". They just say that it all is taken care of by the concept of "free will". I disagree that free will removes the difficulty of the existence of evil in the universe.

Those of us who do believe that God plans and executes "everything" after the council of His will do have to wrestle with the concept.

I'm just stating clearly my recognition of the "paradox" that exists in scripture because He is sinless and yet ordains sin.

Probably no amount of study will clear that up until we see things from God's perspective on the other side. :)

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Believing in absolute sovereignty over every movement of every atom in the universe as I do – it sure seems like He is responsible for sin in some way."

Those who don't believe in the absolute sovereignty of God don't have to wrestle with the "problem of evil". They just say that it all is taken care of by the concept of "free will". I disagree that free will removes the difficulty of the existence of evil in the universe.

Marvin, it does take much 'blind' faith to believe God ordains sin, but yet not the author of sin. By blind faith, I mean it does not stand up to reason and has to be believed without any rational support.

If one would look to actual, everyday temptation each of us faces, we see free will is the cause of sin.

For instance, you see a lady drop her wallet. Now you have a choice to either, return it to her, or keep it for yourself. If you choose to return it to the lady, no sin is committed. However, if you choose to keep it for yourself, your choice has brought about sin.

This very much agrees with James 1 -
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

It is when man is drawn away of his own conceived lust when tempted that brings forth sin. Here James definitely says it is man's own free will which entices him and draws him away of his own lust. There is no need to bring God into this. In fact, it is God's will for every man to flee sin, not be drawn away and bring forth sin.

I think you would have difficulty saying God ordained you to keep the wallet for yourself. That's much like partners in crime.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Marvin, it does take much 'blind' faith to believe God ordains sin, but yet not the author of sin. By blind faith, I mean it does not stand up to reason and has to be believed without any rational support.

If one would look to actual, everyday temptation each of us faces, we see free will is the cause of sin.

For instance, you see a lady drop her wallet. Now you have a choice to either, return it to her, or keep it for yourself. If you choose to return it to the lady, no sin is committed. However, if you choose to keep it for yourself, your choice has brought about sin.

This very much agrees with James 1 -
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

It is when man is drawn away of his own conceived lust when tempted that brings forth sin. Here James definitely says it is man's own free will which entices him and draws him away of his own lust. There is no need to bring God into this. In fact, it is God's will for every man to flee sin, not be drawn away and bring forth sin.

I think you would have difficulty saying God ordained you to keep the wallet for yourself. That's much like partners in crime.
I understand that the can of worms I'm opening isn't an easy one theologically. In fact it is probably the most difficult and controversial issue of them all. I believe it's the heart and soul of all of the arguments we see here in the forum. But if we wanted easy, I assume, everyone here in the soteriology forum would have just stayed in Sunday school. :)

I would like to draw everyone’s attention to the premise of the thread by “cygnusx1”. What the thread is dealing with is the concept that God’s sovereignty in everything that has happened since the creation including election is inescapable.

God knew evil would take place. He knew all of the pain it would cause. He started the ball rolling anyway.

He went so far as to place (or allow if it’s more palatable) Satan in the garden etc. He established the requirements for salvation from all that followed. He knew that most would not be able to attain even the faith required with His own chosen method of salvation.

It appears that billions will perish and only some will attain salvation through faith.

You get the picture. No need to carry on.

I’m playing Devil’s advocate here for the simple reason that (as the thread addresses) there are many who reject election on the grounds that it would make God unfair and (to hear some talk) a “monster”. They say that their “free choice” mantra makes all of the problems of God’s “apparent” culpability go away.

I’m simply stating the obvious. It does not in any way “get God off the hook” as it were. God’s “apparent” culpability does not go away. I believe that any rationally thinking theologian would agree. Most all reputable theologians should agree whether they be Arminian or Calvinist or anything else. There is a paradox or “seeming contradiction” involved with what we know of God’s nature and what we see Him “allowing” to take place.

It is only those not willing to face the paradox of the existence of evil coupled with God’s sovereignty who try to explain it all otherwise.

When a non sovereignty advocate says something like “no need to drag God into this” – they take that stance knowing that it necessitates the denial of God’s omniscience and for that matter omnipresence (or at least they should know that).

Denial of God’s omniscience, I’m sure, isn’t something openly done by election deniers. It goes a little more along the lines of what I would say to them. “I know you don’t say that – but your theology does.”

The same goes for denial of omnipresence. In fact, I’ll bet that most don’t even consider the fact that God is fully present and without division in every square centimeter of His creation. In Him we live and move and have our being. His sovereign Word is the command that gives existence to everything and keeps it from disappearing from existence even as we speak.

I know most people don’t give much thought to the fact that God is omnipresent in every atom and synapse of their own brain. But it is true. When you say “no need to drag God into this” – I’ll just say in response that God doesn’t have to be drug very far to be involved in everything that happens.

Those things include the evil thoughts and actions of a Gog or a Chiaphas. They include the evil thoughts and actions of those who crucified God's Son. They include the wonderful thoughts and actions of those who wrote the scriptures for us. They include the thoughts and words of everyone on earth (talking donkeys included). Gosh folks - read the account of the languages at Babel, and those at Pentecost for that matter, to see up close and personal His dealing with the much vaunted will of man.

Everyone has their own will and God is intimately involved in having His sovereign will worked out through those wills. And amazingly it all happens at the same time. It’s a mystery for sure. But it’s a mystery I answer by simply pointing out the fact that He is God. We are the creation.

I just wish everyone could leave God to be God and not try to change Him to fit into something they can comprehend. Sometimes I think some people are worshipping another God entirely than the one I find in scripture. When they talk about God “allowing” things to happen it boggles my mind. It’s almost like they think God inhabits another universe entirely as we go about our own free existence in ours. That is not the immanent and transcendent God of the scriptures.

I could probably go on forever. After all – all of the books in the entire world couldn’t contain all that the Word of God carries out according to the eternal decrees of God.

But back to the point of the thread – spouting rhetoric about “our own will” in an effort to avoid election only scratches the surface of what any good thorough theologian must deal with concerning God’s activities.

Most good ones just point to “paradox” somewhere along the line and wait for the other side of this life to really understand it. The really bad ones shout “free will” and hope the issues go away. That’s a little like whistling through a grace yard.

At one time I was accused of “blasphemy” on a thread for daring to point these things out. I wouldn’t want that to be said again. I pray that everyone here is mature enough that it won't be.

God hardens Pharoah's heart and Pharoah hardened his own heart for which he'll answer. God causes some leader to have an evil thought and the leader will answer for the evil thought. God gives prophetic words to the high priest and the high priest will answer for his evil words. God crucified His Son and evil men will answer for crucifying His Son. I don't get it. I don't have to get it. I just have to admit that the Bible teaches it and much more. Don't look at me. I didn't write the book. :)

God has ordained all that takes place. I believe the Bible teaches that. God works through second causes to bring about all that He ordains. God rightly judges those second causes (us) who sin. God is without sin in bringing to past through the sinful actions of His creation all that He ordains.

He tells me that He is good. My salvation depends entirely on His being entirely good. He died for my sins and saved me from the coming wrath. I believe Him both because of His goodness to me but also because of who He is.

I can live with the mystery. I don’t have to take Him off His throne to explain it. And even if I did so - by appealing to the “choice” of His creatures – it wouldn’t remove the mystery at all. So I choose to just believe Him, trust Him and live with the paradox.

As I have confessed - in those early years I struggled with the reconciliation of God’s absolute sovereignty and the existence of evil. But I realized early on that He Himself bore the wrath of horrible judgment in His own person for sin. I found a strange comfort in knowing that I could not add the smallest bit of wrath to God’s own pain should I somehow be given dominion over Him and find Him guilty. He has already born the punishment for not only my sin but for every sin ever committed.

I don’t worry about these things anymore. I already worked through them and more a long time ago. I only wish that some other folks would do the same thing instead of just whistling through the grave yard. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand that the can of worms I'm opening isn't an easy one theologically. In fact it is probably the most difficult and controversial issue of them all. I believe it's the heart and soul of all of the arguments we see here in the forum. But if we wanted easy, I assume, everyone here in the soteriology forum would have just stayed in Sunday school. :)

I would like to draw everyone’s attention to the premise of the thread by “cygnusx1”. What the thread is dealing with is the concept that God’s sovereignty in everything that has happened since the creation including election is inescapable.

Here is a quote from Arthur W. Pink:

To declare that the Creator’s original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to dethrone God (1. God's Sovereignty Defined).

I ask, if God's original plan has been frustrated, isn't it God's own sovereignty which has frustrated it according to your beliefs? Hasn't God dethroned Himself?

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

If God has commanded all men every where to repent, isn't it God's own sovereignty which has frustrated His own command to repent?

Deuteronomy 13:4 - Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

Here again, God commanded Israel to walk after Him, fear Him, keep His commandments, obey Him, serve Him, and cleave unto Him, but yet you say God Himself ordained Israel even unto disobedience, thus frustrating His own commands for Israel.

Exodus 20:20 - And Moses said unto the people, fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Here we see God does not want His people to sin, but yet, you believe God ordained them to sin. How can this be? God frustrates His own decree.

With this kind of belief, one would think God is a bi-polar schizophrenic.

Which takes precedence - God's command to not sin, or God's ordination that we sin?

How will man act when facing sin - obey God's command, or idly sit by and let God's own ordination cause him to break His command?

Which will you choose to obey - God's command to not sin, or God's ordination to sin?

When faced with temptation (through your own lusts), do you strive to keep His commandment to not sin, or do you bring forth sin in temptation, saying God ordained it?

It's pretty easy to not take responsibility for our sins and take them lightly with your belief.

Flip Wilson said, 'the devil made me do it'; the Reformed say, 'God made me do it'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Here is a quote from Arthur W. Pink:

To declare that the Creator’s original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to dethrone God (1. God's Sovereignty Defined).

I ask, if God's original plan has been frustrated, isn't it God's own sovereignty which has frustrated it according to your beliefs? Hasn't God dethroned Himself?

Interesting that you should quote the Reformed scholar Arthur W. Pink. The entire quote follows.

“To declare that the Creator's original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to [FONT=&quot]dethrone [/FONT]God. To suggest that God was taken by surprise in Eden and that He is now attempting to remedy an unforeseen calamity, is to [FONT=&quot]degrade [/FONT]the Most High to the level of a finite, erring mortal. To argue that man is a free moral agent and the determiner of his own destiny, and that therefore he has the power to checkmate his Maker, is to [FONT=&quot]strip [/FONT]God of the attribute of Omnipotence. To say that the creature has burst the bounds assigned by his Creator, and that God is now practically a helpless Spectator before the sin and suffering entailed by Adam's fall, is to [FONT=&quot]repudiate [/FONT]the express declaration of Holy Writ, namely, "Surely the wrath of man shall praise Thee: the remainder of wrath [FONT=&quot]shalt [/FONT]Thou restrain" (Psa. 76:10). In a word, to deny the Sovereignty of God is to enter upon a path which, if followed to its logical terminus, is to arrive at blank atheism.”

What Pink is saying of course is that the idea that anyone has frustrated God's original plan is ridiculous in that no one can dethrone God – which would have to first be done. The point as it reflects on this conversation is simply that what we see unfolding (including the fall and it’s consequences) must, of necessity, be God’s original plan and not a frustrated version of it.

It is interesting that I and other’s of my theology often say things about the other side to the effect that they have “removed God from His throne.” It is said rather facetiously of course. No one could ever do that.

What is interesting to me at this time is that it seems that you are advocating exactly that. It is a concept which is usually put forward to make the point of the ridiculous nature of denying absolute sovereignty. You are saying that God’s creatures have dethroned Him by their sins are you not? Are you not saying that His original plan has been frustrated and saying that holding to absolute sovereignty as I do is to say that God has frustrated His own plan and would be therefore “schizophrenic”?

It is I who am saying that God’s exact plan is what we see unfolding before us in history. He is working all things after His absolutely perfect will. Nothing (and I do mean nothing) is out of control including the plans and movements of Satan, Judas, you and me.

It is the position of the “opposition” that holds to the idea that what we are experiencing is some kind of aberration of God’s original intent. As Arthur Pink would put it concerning the beliefs of non-sovereignty types, “He is now attempting to remedy an unforeseen calamity.”

Such is the heart and soul of the difference between what you call “Reformed” theology and what I would call “non-sovereignty” theology.

These things get a little long and wordy. So I’ll just close for now with commenting from Scripture on why God would come up with such a plan that included the sins of mankind in it. It just scratches the surface of course.

“For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all. Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” Romans 11:32-36

When faced with temptation (through your own lusts), do you strive to keep His commandment to not sin, or do you bring forth sin in temptation, saying God ordained it?

It's pretty easy to not take responsibility for our sins and take them lightly with your belief.
Like any child of God, I usually strive to keep His commandment to not sin. I have failed more than once. Never have I used the excuse that God ordained it. I have, however, drawn closer to Him after failure. This is precisely because I know that He is with me always and will never leave me nor forsake me. It is He who is at work in me to glorify Himself as I work out my own salvation with fear and trembling.

It's not either Him or me living my life. It's both of us. (You know 1st and 2nd causes working out His original un-frustrated plan? :))

I haven’t found it easy to not take responsibility for my sins nor have I or any other “Reformed” Christian I know of ever taken our sins lightly.

By the way - I will accept the label "Reformed" to identity myself as one who is advocating absolute sovereignty. You should know though that most Reformed would likely not agree with my statements from before concerning Christ's bearing the punishment for all of the sins of the world ever committed.

For the record - I would be what is referred to as a "4-point" Calvinist in that I reject limited atonement. I believe that to be more in line with the teachings of Calvin on the subject, although there may be some debate about that. (At any rate - I don't base my theology on what Calvin, Dort, Spurgeon, Sproul or anyone else teaches.) (AS IT SHOULD BE. :))

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that you should quote the Reformed scholar Arthur W. Pink. The entire quote follows.

“To declare that the Creator's original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to [FONT=&quot]dethrone [/FONT]God. To suggest that God was taken by surprise in Eden and that He is now attempting to remedy an unforeseen calamity, is to [FONT=&quot]degrade [/FONT]the Most High to the level of a finite, erring mortal. To argue that man is a free moral agent and the determiner of his own destiny, and that therefore he has the power to checkmate his Maker, is to [FONT=&quot]strip [/FONT]God of the attribute of Omnipotence. To say that the creature has burst the bounds assigned by his Creator, and that God is now practically a helpless Spectator before the sin and suffering entailed by Adam's fall, is to [FONT=&quot]repudiate [/FONT]the express declaration of Holy Writ, namely, "Surely the wrath of man shall praise Thee: the remainder of wrath [FONT=&quot]shalt [/FONT]Thou restrain" (Psa. 76:10). In a word, to deny the Sovereignty of God is to enter upon a path which, if followed to its logical terminus, is to arrive at blank atheism.”

I find it strange you think non-Calvinists do not believe in, or deny the sovereignty of God. I believe His sovereignty is defined by having absolute power to make the laws and rules of His kingdom.

For instance, I find He has absolute authority to make this statement, "Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit" (Ezekiel 18:36).

Yet, many who proudly proclaim God's absolute sovereignty, will not heed, obey, nor accept God's sovereignty in making this decree. They had rather find some excuse in that it does not apply to them. So, I find the ones who holler the loudest about God's sovereignty, are the ones who obey God's commands, decrees, and laws the least.

I think one thing which would shock many ultra-sovereignty proponents, is that sovereignty includes laws, commands, and statutes to be obeyed.
What Pink is saying of course is that the idea that anyone has frustrated God's original plan is ridiculous in that no one can dethrone God – which would have to first be done. The point as it reflects on this conversation is simply that what we see unfolding (including the fall and it’s consequences) must, of necessity, be God’s original plan and not a frustrated version of it.

Why would God ordain the fall if it goes against His commands (you shall not eat...)?

BTW, how do you define 'ordain'? I find it means to consecrate or set aside.

What is interesting to me at this time is that it seems that you are advocating exactly that. It is a concept which is usually put forward to make the point of the ridiculous nature of denying absolute sovereignty. You are saying that God’s creatures have dethroned Him by their sins are you not? Are you not saying that His original plan has been frustrated and saying that holding to absolute sovereignty as I do is to say that God has frustrated His own plan and would be therefore “schizophrenic”?

No one has dethroned Him.

If you told your son to not play in the swimming pool, yet you ordained a neighbor to push him in, do you not think this is abnormal behavior? Would you hold your son responsible for being in the water?

It is the position of the “opposition” that holds to the idea that what we are experiencing is some kind of aberration of God’s original intent. As Arthur Pink would put it concerning the beliefs of non-sovereignty types, “He is now attempting to remedy an unforeseen calamity.”

Such is the heart and soul of the difference between what you call “Reformed” theology and what I would call “non-sovereignty” theology.

What was God's original intent for the people of Israel? Was the following passage not God's intent?
Deuteronomy 13:4 - You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.

Why was His original intent not brought to pass?

These things get a little long and wordy. So I’ll just close for now with commenting from Scripture on why God would come up with such a plan that included the sins of mankind in it. It just scratches the surface of course.

“For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all. Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” Romans 11:32-36

How is it that some do obey God, when God planned to shut all in disobedience? Does He not show mercy to those who obey Him?

Like any child of God, I usually strive to keep His commandment to not sin. I have failed more than once. Never have I used the excuse that God ordained it. I have, however, drawn closer to Him after failure. This is precisely because I know that He is with me always and will never leave me nor forsake me. It is He who is at work in me to glorify Himself as I work out my own salvation with fear and trembling.

You said in post #15, "God has ordained all that takes place. I believe the Bible teaches that".

Then I must ask, did God ordain you to sin? If so, how is it you strive to go against His ordination?

It's not either Him or me living my life. It's both of us. (You know 1st and 2nd causes working out His original un-frustrated plan? :))

I haven’t found it easy to not take responsibility for my sins nor have I or any other “Reformed” Christian I know of ever taken our sins lightly.

By the way - I will accept the label "Reformed" to identity myself as one who is advocating absolute sovereignty. You should know though that most Reformed would likely not agree with my statements from before concerning Christ's bearing the punishment for all of the sins of the world ever committed.

Then I assume you take Ezekiel 18:36 as God's ordination in your life, that is, to cast away all your sins to make yourself a new heart and new spirit. Surely you believe and follow this command of God since you believe in advocating absolute sovereignty.

For the record - I would be what is referred to as a "4-point" Calvinist in that I reject limited atonement. I believe that to be more in line with the teachings of Calvin on the subject, although there may be some debate about that. (At any rate - I don't base my theology on what Calvin, Dort, Spurgeon, Sproul or anyone else teaches.) (AS IT SHOULD BE. :))

I am happy you don't base your theology on the teaching of these men. :)

Thank you Marvin for your responses; I find them civil and neighborly.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I find it strange you think non-Calvinists do not believe in, or deny the sovereignty of God. I believe His sovereignty is defined by having absolute power to make the laws and rules of His kingdom.

For instance, I find He has absolute authority to make this statement, "Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit" (Ezekiel 18:36).

Yet, many who proudly proclaim God's absolute sovereignty, will not heed, obey, nor accept God's sovereignty in making this decree. They had rather find some excuse in that it does not apply to them. So, I find the ones who holler the loudest about God's sovereignty, are the ones who obey God's commands, decrees, and laws the least.

I think one thing which would shock many ultra-sovereignty proponents, is that sovereignty includes laws, commands, and statutes to be obeyed.
It is true that His sovereignty includes His decrees, laws, commands and such. God is sovereign is these things for sure. But where we differ and why I make the distinction is in the working out of the results of those sovereign laws etc. Where you would leave the results in the hands of man and nature with God reacting to them – I would say the results played out by man and nature are also determined exactly by God’s sovereign decisions. The “TOTAL” sovereignty of God is what is at stake and why I make the distinction between those who hold to sovereignty and those who do not.

The “labels” we use for someone else are never totally accurate. That’s why I dislike using them. Sometimes it is necessary though. The waters would be even murkier if I called you an “Arminian” and you called me a “Calvinist”. I’ll continue to use the word sovereignty to express our differences even though we both agree that it isn’t totally accurate in every respect.

I disagree that ultra-sovereignty proponents would be shocked or disagree at all with the fact that God’s laws and statutes are included under sovereignty. They are called “ultra-sovereignty” believers precisely because they see God’s sovereignty in everything that happens.

By the way I think that your references to “get yourself a new heart and a new spirit” and such are for the purpose of refuting those who believe in regeneration before faith. Nothing wrong with that. That’s a good discussion and it’s been had many times here in the forum. But mixing it with this discussion will only result in going off track.

I say that knowing full well that the original intent of the thread definitely points to the controversy concerning the order of salvation being highly appropriate.

Let me just comment here that, although I do believe the original steps in “getting a new heart”, as it were, are monergistic and by God’s grace alone – I believe the process of building that new heart is definitely synergistic (as you refer to in the Ezekiel passage). Often Calvinists leave themselves open for successful arguments against them because, in their zeal to protect “grace”, they completely trample the fact that God works through “second causes”. In this case that second cause is the cooperation of the believer with the Spirit of God.

(If this thread has been “hijacked” it is only because it was pretty much long gone until someone commented on my beliefs concerning sovereignty. We could start another thread I suppose. But at this juncture it would be silly IMO. )
Why would God ordain the fall if it goes against His commands (you shall not eat...)?
His command not to eat was the thing that made the eating sin resulting in the fall which He had realized all along would be the result as I see things.

As to why He would put a plan into place that included rebellion in Heaven and on Earth – that deserves more space than can be done in this particular post without taking a few pages. If we continue – I’ll comment on why I believe God is “doing” or “allowing” what He is in this age before He goes on with His plans for the rest of eternity.
The Oxford dictionary says:
[FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Make (someone) a priest or minister; confer holy orders on: he was ordained a minister before entering Parliament women ordained to the diaconate (as adjective ordained) an ordained clergyman[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](THIS SEEMS TO BE THE WAY YOU MEAN IT.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Order (something) officially: equal punishment was ordained for the two crimes: the king ordained that these courts should be revived[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Of God or fate) decide (something) in advance: the path ordained by God[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](THIS IS THE WAY I’VE BEEN USING IT)[/FONT]

"DECREE" could be a better word. Sometimes it hard to decide which "Christianeze" word to use. :)
No one has dethroned Him.
I agree.

I was going by your quote from Arthur W. Pink: “To declare that the Creator’s original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to dethrone God.” You went on to say, “If God's original plan has been frustrated, isn't it God's own sovereignty which has frustrated it according to your beliefs? Hasn't God dethroned Himself?”

Since I do not believe that God’s original plan has been frustrated in any way, I assumed that you believe that it has. I believed that since you were pointing out the absurdity of God frustrating His own plan which I do not subscribe to.

Since we both agree that God’s original plan has not been frustrated in any way – I now assume that you believe as I do that the entry and existence of sin in His world was God’s original plan. Is that true?

Why was His original intent not brought to pass?
It has been unfolding and will continue until the end of the age exactly as He intended it to all along. That plan includes the rebellion of Satan, the rebellion of mankind, and the rebellion of Israel (resulting in salvation for the world through their crucifixion of the Son of God).

How is it that some do obey God, when God planned to shut all in disobedience? Does He not show mercy to those who obey Him?
I’m sure that you know and can revisit the many passages in Romans and elsewhere that show us that all have been disobedient; that there are none that do good; there are non righteous; no one understands; no one seeks after God etc. I won't quote them all here.

As to how it is that some do obey God and receive mercy – the answer lies in a good thorough discussion of God’s unmerited grace. We can have that discussion sometime. I would rephrase the question to ask why do some receive mercy and obey God rather than why do some obey God and receive mercy.

For now I’ll just say that the question is not why God shows saving grace toward some and not others. The question is why He chooses to show saving grace to anyone.

Perhaps if I outlined soon what I believe the Bible shows God doing in this age (including God ordained demonstrations of sin and evil through second causes) it would show a little better where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think it is good here to address this difference of “decreeing” something to take place and “ordaining” how it will take place. In my use of the words I’d like to make a subtle but vital distinction. I doubt that I always use the two words in this way all of the time. But I do try to make a distinction between the two “concepts”. I’m not even sure that this is the absolutely accepted way to use the two words. But this is my thinking on the matter for what it’s worth.

Since it is God’s use of and involvement in evil that we are talking about – I’ll choose the biggest act of evil in history as an example - the crucifixion of Jesus. We have a lot of data to draw on concerning that particular act of violence, including God’s purpose for it. If we took some more mundane evil act like the mugging of a father in downtown N.Y. we would have less to draw on. An act like that could leave a widow and an orphan behind. Both are evil thuggish sins. It’s impossible to know God’s purpose for the one because we aren’t told. But I maintain that they each have their purpose in the scheme of things even if one is obviously more cosmic in scope.

Everyone would agree that God decreed that Christ would die for the sins of the world. Apparently from conversations here, not all would agree that every individual evil act was ordained of God. There have even been some who would accuse one who says that the acts themselves were chosen and orchestrated (which would be in line with my use of the word ordained) by God are guilty of “blasphemy.”

It is in areas like this that the difference in the two words, as I use them, can become a controversy.

Returning to our example of Christ’s crucifixion – God is very clear to say that it was the Fathers good pleasure to “crush” the Son. I could list many examples of His using such language that says very clearly that He is the one doing things which involve evil and sin. But, sticking with this one example, we see that God takes full credit for everything involved in this evil act.

Like most, I am also careful to say that God is holy and does not “do” evil. I could and do say it over and over and over again - so as to not be misunderstood. But looking at Scripture I see that God doesn’t always go out of His way to reiterate what He has already said. God is all good. He cannot sin. He tells us that clearly and then moves on and leaves it for us to believe it or not.

But He also tells us clearly that He is in total control of everything that happens including sinful acts. In my use of the word, He “ordains” each and every act involved in bringing a “decree” to past. He expects us to believe that as well as the fact that He is all good. If we cannot reconcile the resulting paradox, we are to believe both and trust Him. I find that He does give us enough data to reconcile the two situations if we are of a mind to. But He will not allow us to understand the paradox if we insist on forming ourselves into two opposing camps and choosing which truth we will believe and which we will not believe.

“To the one who has, more will be given. To the one who does not have even what he thinks he has will be taken from him.”

Reject one of the truths and you will find yourself expressing a theology that has fallen into a ditch on one side of an area of inquiry. Some of you may remember being told by some here in the forum that they did not find a single paradox or mystery in Scripture. I’m sure they were sincere. IMO they did not find them simply because they would not allow them to exist. They simply chose the side of the paradox that they felt most comfortable defending and rejected the other.

Once the mystery of a paradox is acknowledged - without rejecting something the Scripture clearly says on one side of the issue – the Lord will lead you into further truth. If you will not accept both – you will find yourself in error. Perhaps no one will be able to refute you in your beliefs. But that doesn’t mean you are right. You may not be corrected until the Judgment Seat of Christ. But who wants to wait until then? Better to not teach at all then to teach something that you will suffer loss for in the end (even if you are able to garner numbers of supporters in this life for your side of things).

Returning to the example – I say that God not only decreed the death of Christ. I say that He ordained or finely orchestrated it so as to play out exactly as He intended as well. I see all of history as something like a divine “butterfly effect”. A butterfly flaps it’s wings in Mongolia and there is a hurricane in Florida. Maybe the connections can’t be seen by us. But the connections, however small, can not only be seen but are planned and factored in by an all powerful God.

For God’s purpose to be fulfilled in the crucifixion, He had to plan an almost infinite sequence of events to happen in such a way that there could be no doubt as to the outcome. They included the movements of nations in history. They included the development of technology to invent nails. They included the sinful invention of the unspeakable cruelty of crucifixion and it’s practiced development. They included the ordaining of all events that developed the warped personalities of a Pilot or a Judas.

We could go on and on. Everything in the history of the world up until that time played some very small part in what transpired at Calvary on the day of our redemption. That “everything” included billions upon billions of sinful acts by men over the centuries to bring everything into alignment. Nothing was left to chance as I see it.

God did not simply move and countermove with the sins of man and Satan through the centuries like some divine chess player. On the contrary – even the sins of man and Satan (for which they will be rightly judged) were “ordained” in minute detail by an all powerful God.

The same is true for every act of holiness and sinfulness and the movements of every atom since the beginning of time. They all play their part in the scheme of things.

Because evil is included -some find the resulting paradox from believing in such complete sovereignty too much to bear. As a result, they simply choose a side of the equation which “saves” God from being accused of evil. In so choosing a side – they fall into a theological ditch. They will never extricate themselves until they believe all that God says and leave any “saving” of God’s reputation to Himself.

Being willing to trust God in spite of appearances is equated with faith by Him IMO. Without faith you cannot please Him.

The Westminster Confession says quite correctly IMO:

“The almighty power, unsearchable wisdom, and infinite goodness of God so far manifest themselves in his providence, that it extends itself even to the first fall, and all other sins of angels and men; and that not by a bare permission, but such as hath joined with it a most wise and powerful bounding, and otherwise ordering, and governing of them, in a manifold dispensation, to his own holy ends; yet so, as the sinfulness thereof proceeds only from the creature, and not from God, who, being most holy and righteous, neither is nor can be the author or approver of sin.”

That is the great paradox we find in Scripture.

I don’t know anyone who has stated it better than the WCF.

Only when people embrace this concept (which I believe is easily supported by Scripture) – will God reward such faith with further insights as to why He does what He does IMO.

Anyway – that’s what I mean by saying that God “ordains” everything that happens.

I can and will offer my thoughts as to why He has ordained the exhibition of the evil we are experiencing in the world. I’m not sure anyone will agree or even understand as long as they remain in a ditch on one side of the road. But I’ll try if we continue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0