The difference between the canon for the bible between Catholics and Protestants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Scriptures have no contradictions now that we tossed out those un-divine books.

I wonder why Luther threw out Revelations?

Of course he eventually decided to put it back in. Just strange how Protestants follow newly man made traditions from the 16th century and later.

Strange to me is all...

Upvote 0

david01

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2007
✟11,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, Jack, it probably won't seem so strange if you would read the thread on the OBOB forum on this topic. It is fairly old now. I think the last posting was sometime in November. The OP was something like, Why Did the Protestants Get Rid of Parts of the Bible? The bottom line of the whole thread was there wasn't a single person in the forum who had ever read the seven books in question and all agreed that none of these books established any doctrine whatsoever. As a result, they are of no value to Catholics other than to claim a sort of spiritual superiority - my Bible is bigger than yours, nah, nah, nah.

By the way, you know they can't matter much when the website, catholic.org, doesn't list them as books of the Bible and none of the folks there, when asked about the oversight, had even heard of them.

Upvote 0

Technocrat2010

Relax - it's the Cross of St. Peter
Dec 18, 2007
✟16,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, Jack, it probably won't seem so strange if you would read the thread on the OBOB forum on this topic. It is fairly old now. I think the last posting was sometime in November. The OP was something like, Why Did the Protestants Get Rid of Parts of the Bible? The bottom line of the whole thread was there wasn't a single person in the forum who had ever read the seven books in question and all agreed that none of these books established any doctrine whatsoever. As a result, they are of no value to Catholics other than to claim a sort of spiritual superiority - my Bible is bigger than yours, nah, nah, nah.

By the way, you know they can't matter much when the website, catholic.org, doesn't list them as books of the Bible and none of the folks there, when asked about the oversight, had even heard of them.

Catholic.org uses the New Jerusalem Bible, which was published with the deuterocanonicals. For some reason they chose not to publish the deuterocanonical index on their website.

Also, please check the NAB, another authorized edition of the Catholic Bible - which has the deuterocanonicals.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic.org uses the New Jerusalem Bible, which was published with the deuterocanonicals. For some reason they chose not to publish the deuterocanonical index on their website.

Also, please check the NAB, another authorized edition of the Catholic Bible - which has the deuterocanonicals.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/deuterocanon.html

Thanks bro I did not know about this post to me.

I especially like the last comment at the bottom of your link.

Quote:
The Protestants attempt to defend their rejection of the deuterocanonicals on the ground that the early Jews rejected them. However, the Jewish councils that rejected them (e.g., School of Javneh (also called “Jamnia” in 90 - 100 A.D.) were the same councils that rejected the entire New Testatment canon. Thus, Protestants who reject the Catholic Bible are following a Jewish council that rejected Christ and the Revelation of the New Testament.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally I would not base what Catholics are taught on OBOB. Sorry to say that about my Catholic peoples but it is true. There are some that have been bottle fed on Protestant bibles and Protestant theology that they do not know what the difference is with Catholic doctrine and Protestant theology. I call them Cafeteria Catholics. Like I said "sorry".

But the fact is that the books Luther left out do support many Christian and even Jewish doctrine. Indulgences (yes I said indulgences) is supported by Maccabees and other areas. I guess Luther so hated the corruption with indulgences at his time that he figured he was doing everyone a favor by trying to erase it from God's book. What Luther should have done was try to correct the problem and not cut off part of scripture.

So, after all this, my point is that the Catholic Church cherishes ALL divinely inspired scripture of both Old and New. That Luther and those influenced by Bibles that stem from him have suffered a loss of the Word. To conclude...

You are wrong.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But the fact is that the books Luther left out do support many Christian and even Jewish doctrine. Indulgences (yes I said indulgences) is supported by Maccabees and other areas. I guess Luther so hated the corruption with indulgences at his time that he figured he was doing everyone a favor by trying to erase it from God's book. What Luther should have done was try to correct the problem and not cut off part of scripture.
A passage in Maccabees supporting indulgences would be helpful.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Technocrat2010

Relax - it's the Cross of St. Peter
Dec 18, 2007
✟16,798.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
clever ;) lol

Thanks!
And I am interested, but I
want to give it the attention
it deserves and I dont know
that I can hang out and play
much longer, other things
that I need to tend to.

Doubt I will be missed though ;)

:D

But I WILL look at it.
You? Missed? Not at this range - I'm a heck of a sharpshooter.

Ohhhh... not that kind of "missed"...

Yes, you will be missed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.