The Didache (The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles)

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟51,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Didache (The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles) is a brief anonymous early Christian treatise dated to the first century AD. It is interesting to see how early Christians planned the organization of the church based on this document. If you have not read it, I recommend it. It does not take long to read. Below is a link to the document:

http://www.thedidache.com/

What are your thoughts on the Didache?

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's wonderful, the first prohibition against abortion is found in there. Apparently this was the collective teaching for the church very early in it's history. After baptism I would assume new converts would be read this scroll and eventually knew it by heart. They probably had limited access to the scrolls of Paul, the Gospels and some of the others, which if they had them I'm sure they read them to the church regularly. They all had this one, it's a beautiful legacy document that still informs Christians how a disciple of Christ should conduct himself.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟51,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's wonderful, the first prohibition against abortion is found in there. Apparently this was the collective teaching for the church very early in it's history. After baptism I would assume new converts would be read this scroll and eventually knew it by heart. They probably had limited access to the scrolls of Paul, the Gospels and some of the others, which if they had them I'm sure they read them to the church regularly. They all had this one, it's a beautiful legacy document that still informs Christians how a disciple of Christ should conduct himself.

Grace and peace,
Mark

I agree, it seems like a great document for the early Church. It is very brief but covers much important instruction. It definitely has the Spirit of the Church written into it in my opinion. I agree, it is an awesome legacy document which is still a good instruction for all Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Didache (The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles) is a brief anonymous early Christian treatise dated to the first century AD. It is interesting to see how early Christians planned the organization of the church based on this document. If you have not read it, I recommend it. It does not take long to read. Below is a link to the document:

http://www.thedidache.com/

What are your thoughts on the Didache?

I like the Didache, but with a few reservations. I subscribe to the position (held by some) that it appears to be an amalgamation of early material mixed in together with some material that dates to later than the mid-2nd century. I'd have to go back and find the internal quotes that I found to be inconsistent with each other, but all in all I'd say it's a very good work. Just not one I would hold as being on par with the New Testament.

Upvote 0

CDF47

Aug 7, 2017
Macomb Twp
✟51,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the Didache, but with a few reservations. I subscribe to the position (held by some) that it appears to be an amalgamation of early material mixed in together with some material that dates to later than the mid-2nd century. I'd have to go back and find the internal quotes that I found to be inconsistent with each other, but all in all I'd say it's a very good work. Just not one I would hold as being on par with the New Testament.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should hold it on par with the New Testament. I just find it is a good short almost bullet point instruction based on the NT and to see what the early Church was thinking. It may be a combination of documents but I would have to see which ones those would be. It seems to fit together as one document but could be a number of them put together. Maybe the parts regarding a prophet were from a separate document, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0