Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is interesting:

The charts toward the end show how devastating this will be to 5 red states in particular.

Hopefully this new health care bill dies in the Senate. Luckily I live in a state with a democrat governor who would never get rid of pre existing condition protections. I worry that Minnesota would flip to a republican governor again in 2018. Hopefully Trump's approval rating is so low in 2018 that another democrat will replace Dayton.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hopefully this new health care bill dies in the Senate. Luckily I live in a state with a democrat governor who would never get rid of pre existing condition protections. I worry that Minnesota would flip to a republican governor again in 2018. Hopefully Trump's approval rating is so low in 2018 that another democrat will replace Dayton.
New York is talking about a single payer option.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From FiveThirtyEight: Will Donald Trump Be Impeached? Short answer, not likely. Within the year, very unlikely; within this term 50-50 according to betting sites that make odds on such things. That's if things continue as they are now (Republican support of Trump and Republican majority in the House and Senate and, even more importantly, barring any gross illegality on Trump's part).

At this point, I prefer Trump to Pence as an impedance to the Republican agenda.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought, and apparently so do many legal experts on both sides, that Comey's testimony to the Senate was damaging to Trump.
As was his subsequent behavior. He's used to intimidating people to get his way, but it's one thing to threaten someone as a private person and quite another as a public official.

I just hope it takes a long time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wry humor from the New Yorker:
Newly Discovered Very Illegal Thing Will Finally Bring Down Trump (Or Be Another Cute Tile in the Mosaic of Democracy’s Demise, I Guess)

MAR-A-LAGO BATHROOM, Fla.—According to current and former and probably also future U.S. officials, President Trump is guilty of yet another Very Illegal Thing. It is similar to all the previous Very Illegal Things, but somehow Even Worse. No former President has committed anything like this, let alone within the first term of the Presidency.

...Our only on-the-record comment came from the Commander-in-Chief himself, via Twitter. It read, “I would never do Illegal Thing, despite all the evidence that I did do Illegal Thing.” This statement was officially released after four failed attempts to spell “evidence.”

...All right, well, it looks like this Illegal Thing is just going to be another cute tile. Can’t wait for the next one that will inevitably happen in, like, two hours.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The following was written by a family member of mine. I've edited it to clean it up (language). The party leadership needs to listen if they ever want to have a chance at making true progress and change. We'll see...

Open note to my political party...

Oh, DEMOCRATIC PARTY leadership and world of (increasingly questionably qualified) punditry! Darn!

I have been a registered CA Dem and an avid political observer all my adult life and must say.... Your internal politics, fraternal and financial bondages, and all that has happened, remains reliably.... well, ... either clueless or worse, visibly sold out.
The state of the party can no longer be chalked up to lack of understanding or even inexperience. These levels of hubris and of ineptitude can only be the product of intention.

In choosing to continually cast the party into some misbegotten role of the eternally misunderstood nice guy, full of good intentions that you would totally act upon if... only there were more of you... or if only the other party or its candidates weren't so mean and uncooperative, you sell us out. Perhaps you do it to relieve yourselves of any real accountability and mistakenly believe that you free yourselves individually of responsibility for even those things that you do move forward, which, since the Clinton era embrace of neoliberalism, are mostly warmed over Republican thinktank ideas previously... and wisely... kept at bay by our party back when we still commanded at least a nominal investment in the lives of organized labor, women, minorities and ethical values.

The only thing you have become exceedingly reliable in is this... You NEVER... EVER... EVER!!... fail to grasp the occasion TO MISS AN OPPORTUNITY!

You continue to blow chances, let alone create frameworks, to step away from your estrangement and actually put your money and legislative agendas where our country's and your core electorate's values, needs and loudly and numerically manifested requests lie.

Many years of yelling at my TV, of volunteering in electoral efforts, vainly hoping for change at the hands of an illustrative individual, a Democratic messiah of sorts, has me tottering between rage and apathy. If I write now, it is because you are making me crazy with the current abdication of party seriousness and responsibility toward our American populace and the future of our nation, as well as of life on our planet.
MOVE your rear ends!
Don't just sit around and whine about not being invited to the healthcare reform discussion table... about being willing to dance but not being asked, fer hecksake! And please, Stop Wasting Our Time and Patience Defending Your Actual Crap, be it the dirty tricks campaign that wasn't or the many "would've or almost got it dones".
Either shut up or, even better, Admit it and then...
GO ON THE OFFENSIVE!

They complain you are now the party of no?
Ok, be the party of "No, Heck No! ... BECAUSE what we believe and think the country should do is.... x, y and z!"

You can and should begin any further political moment with an honest and thorough mea culpa for our party's failings. The next time anyone steps forward AS A party spokesperson, they should start their statements on whatever the topic of the moment with a litany that goes backwards (see the 1998 film Bulworth with Warren Beatty for a concise abridged list of failings that continue into today). They would do well to then address this past election cycle when we failed, no, YOU, failed to support what the people were telling you with their enthusiasm for Bernie, and still last month failed again to acknowledge, whizzing away 4 good opportunities to remake ourselves in the Mid-West and the South a-la British Labor Party, and instead stuck our posteriors back in the mud putting ALL our eggs behind a young but deeply blue dog Democrat and forsaking other campaigns.

Get together your statement, develop a darned strategy. Repeat it by every mouth, on every media outlet, through several media cycles until the talking heads are forced to 1) give you coverage for the novelty of all being on the same page if for nothing else, and 2) give enough length to their comments to go beyond the first few sound bytes and get most of it covered. Run a 30-45 second ad in EVERY state and media market. Do everything possible to get interviews about it on the nightly talk and Sunday shows. If the corporate media ignores you, as they have been easily able to do, make them regret their choice by getting the word out by social media, alternative press and the word on the street.

Let people know in no uncertain terms that YOU FINALLY GET IT!

Explain why the entire notion you have been pin holed with: of having to chose between "identity politics" or the "average white working class" is a play to continue to confuse and obfuscate against REDISCOVERING the successful politics of class solidarity between white workers and workers of color. Of how the enemies of worker justice used racism and xenophobia to renew the divisions that had begun to break down and how you intend to re remind ourselves that unity, immigration reform and unionization across color lines and reaching from the workplace into the community, both urban and rural, and back into the workplace wherever people are being exploited and left behind, was the best winning strategy of the Democratic Party, unions, and progressive movements for 4 decades

Conclude each statement, each ad and each interview, (don't let them cut you off - they don't cut the Republicans off) - with a projection toward the future... a concrete and concise "what we want to do for you now that you have woken us up."

You don't have to look too far for that, just go the those few aspects of the party platform that the Bernie delegates actively advocated or were ok with.

FOR EXAMPLE...

On the ACA... You have a wealth of fixes already in our Democratic arsenal! You can start with some of those desperately proposed by progressives and that fell on deaf ears when you were putting together this DemoRepublican Frankenstein after Obama's election.

But to refresh...
1f449_1f3fd.png
Want avoid new regulations and instead use the market to put brakes on premium as well as prescription drug prices and increases?
1. Institute public options. - Easiest and fastest to implement would be to allow a buy-in to Medicare as an already existing public option for those seeking a PPO - type plan; and a buy-in to the VA hospital system for those seeking an HMO - type plan. If so, that might well be the closest we would have to go toward a socialized style of medical services to achieve better outcome. Another plus, the amount of new, unsubsidized, money that would flood into those programs!
2. Allow those two services to negotiate prices, or set medical supplies, procedure costs and drug prices according to a medium of what such services run in other developed countries with better overall outcomes.

1f449_1f3fd.png
Want to move the bar to equalize the power between the private plans and programs outside of the Medicare and the VA programs and their medical and pharmaceutical providers? Here are two ideas that I suggest spring from a sense of biblical justice...
1. In setting patent durations on pharmaceuticals and informing the practice of authorizing generic production and sales, take into account the total cost for development declared by the producing company, then reduce that by the amount of public funding that underwrote much of their research and testing and shorten the patent by that commiserate equivalent amount.
2. Proportionally reduce the price per pill or treatment to each patient in an area or region by the amount of public funding of university research, trials and what that region's share of the CDC and other state and federal health agency budgets have been since the onset of the patient's illness.

(Self proclaimed religious fundamentalists on the Republican side shouldn't have a problem with going biblical, honoring the spirit of Jubilee justice!
1f642.png

As things stand, the Democratic Party is eerily trudging the rut cut before now by the liberal parties that flailed their arms elsewhere wherever right wing populism turned into something much uglier. Time runs out, heed Eisenhower and Roosevelt. Don't be afraid to be hated by your "dear colleagues and current benefactors."

There is much to do to earn your wages, my dear elected representatives.
Sitting on your rear ends whining or going on shows to claim an intellectual higher ground without making concrete positive use of the media exposure for someone other than yourself just doesn't cut it.

(The circumstances inspire use of strange language, meant to suggest passion and urgency only, not to offend...)

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Girl Scouts Obtain Restraining Order Against Trump
AndyBorowitz said:
The order, which the Girls Scouts were granted on Monday night, prevents Trump from coming within three hundred feet of any gathering of the Scouts’ organization.

...Trump wasted little time responding to the Girl Scouts’ action, lashing out at the organization in a blistering early-morning tweet storm.

“Failing Girl Scouts bad (or sick) guys,” Trump wrote. “Mints, cookies terrible. Sad!”

It's a shame I can't link to the interview with Scaramucci by Ryan Lizza, but the NewYorker quotes the Mooch, as he styles himself, directly and he uses language we can't link to from here - referring to his hated rival Reince Priebus.

Upvote 0