The Definition of Dispensationalism

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God." (Scofield Reference Bible) Therefore, dispensationalism is the belief that God progressively and specifically reveals himself in different ways over time.

I just received Charles C. Ryrie's book on dispensationalism. No worries to all you covenanters, I also bought Michael Horton's book on Covenant theology.

Tell me if the definition above is biblical and/or if you have a better definition for how God deals with man.

Last edited:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God." (Scofield Reference Bible) Therefore, dispensationalism is the belief that God progressively and specifically reveals himself in different ways over time.

I just received Charles C. Ryrie's book on dispensationalism. No worries to all you covenanters, I also bought Michael Horton's book on Covenant theology.

Tell me if the definition above is biblical and/or if you have a better definition for how God deals with man.
Another example of how a dispensational understanding of Scripture works is seen in whether the reader understands the church and Israel to be distinct. (Covenant theologians tend to lump them both together.)

• Agree
Reactions: Sola1517
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a brief comparison showing the main differences between covenant theology and dispensational theology, nice and impartial.

Dispensationalism
  1. God has two distinct people – Israel and the Church.
  2. The Church age was a parenthesis in God’s dealing with Israel.
  3. God’s promises to Israel were postponed till after the rapture.
  4. After a Jewish tribulation revival, their ‘dispensation’ will resume.
  5. Worship in the millennium includes re-instituted temple sacrifice.
  6. The promised temple is an example of what must yet be fulfilled.
  7. Modern Israel proves not all promises are fulfilled in the Church.

Covenant Theology

1. God has always only had but one spiritual people.
  2. The Church (incl. Jew & Gentile) actually is true Israel.
  3. God’s promises to Israel are fulfilled in Christ’s Church.
  4. There will be a revival of Jews but it will be into the Church.
  5. Redemption is in the cross and sacrifice is finished forever.
  6. Even if a temple gets rebuilt it is unnecessary and irrelevant.
  7. The modern restoration of the nation of Israel is coincidental.
Note on #1: When dispensationalists say God has two people, they are referring to Israel (an ethnic group) and the Church. (a spiritual group) When covenant theology says God has one people they are referring to ‘Spiritual Israel’ (a single entity consisting of saints from every tribe)

Note on #3: Covenant theology applies the geographical land promises to the Church figuratively.

Note on #5: Dispensationalists either infer or state that the entire levitical system will be repeated in the Millennium. Moderates think that it will simply serve as a ‘reminder’ of Christ’s death. Extreme dispensationalists infer that it will be the basis of millennium atonement. In either case all disps. accord an elite position to ethnic Israel in the millennium.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I agree with this definition. But the interesting part of this concept is its age. For this was taught, and very clearly taught, in the very oldest Christian commentary on Bible prophecy of any significant length that has survived to the present day. (We know of older such commentaries, but ALL of them either were only rather short, of have been lost.)

The commentary I speak of is believed to have been published between the years 186 and 188 A.D., and was written by Irenaeus. It spans five volumes in total, but the section almost totally devoted to end time prophecy is the last 12 chapters of the fifth and last volume.

Irenaeus said:

“Therefore the Son of the Father declares [Him] from the beginning, inasmuch as He was with the Father from the beginning, who did also show to the human race prophetic visions, and diversities of gifts, and His own ministrations, and the glory of the Father, in regular order and connection, at the fitting time for the benefit [of mankind]. For where there is a regular succession, there is also fixedness; and where fixedness, there suitability to the period; and where suitability, there also utility. And for this reason did the Word become the dispenser of the paternal grace for the benefit of men, for whom He made such great dispensations, revealing God indeed to men, but presenting man to God, and preserving at the same time the invisibility of the Father, lest man should at any time become a despiser of God, and that he should always possess something towards which he might advance; but, on the other hand, revealing God to men through many dispensations, lest man, failing away from God altogether, should cease to exist.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XX, section 7.)

Before we go on, we need to notice certain key parts of this statement. Irenaeus said that God has “from the beginning” shown “to the human race prophetic visions” “in regular order and connection, at the fitting time,” and in “a regular succession,” with “suitability to the period.” And we particularly need to notice his statement that the Word was “revealing God to men through many dispensations.”

A little further on in the same chapter, Irenaeus clarified this by saying, “The only-begotten God, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared [Him];’ and He does Himself also interpret the Word of the Father as being rich and great); not in one figure, nor in one character, did He appear to those seeing Him, but according to the reasons and effects aimed at in His dispensations, as it is written in Daniel.” And further down in the same section, he added, “Thus does the Word of God always preserve the outlines, as it were, of things to come, and points out to men the various forms (species), as it were, of the dispensations of the Father, teaching us the things pertaining to God.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XX, section 11.)

And a few chapters later, Irenaeus further said, “There is one and the same God the Father, and His Word, who has been always present with the human race, by means indeed of various dispensations, and has wrought out many things, and saved from the beginning those who are saved, (for these are they who love God, and follow the Word of God according to the class to which they belong,) and has judged those who are judged, that is, those who forget God, and are blasphemous, and transgressors of His word.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XXVIII, section 2.)

We already noticed in the first quotation we examined that Irenaeus said that the Word was “revealing God to men through many dispensations,” and that he said that this was done “at the fitting time,” in “a regular succession,” with “suitability to the period.” Now we see that he added that the Word “has been always present with the human race,” and saved various individuals “according to the class to which they belong.”

All of this was about past dispensations, but Irenaeus not only spoke of past dispensations, but of future ones as well, saying, “Inasmuch, therefore, as the opinions of certain [orthodox persons] are derived from heretical discourses, they are both ignorant of God’s dispensations, and of the mystery of the resurrection of the just, and of the [earthly] kingdom which is the commencement of incorruption, by means of which kingdom those who shall be worthy are accustomed gradually to partake of the divine nature; and it is necessary to tell them respecting those things, that it behoves the righteous first to receive the promise of the inheritance which God promised to the fathers, and to reign in it, when they rise again to behold God in this creation which is renovated, and that the judgment should take place afterwards.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXII, section 1.)

In this short summary, I have included only a few statements that summarized his thoughts on the matter. But he spoke of these things many times, using the word dispensation, or its plural form dispensations, well over eighty times. He explicitly named a few of these dispensations, namely “the dispensation of the law,” (book III, chapter XI, section 7, and again in book III, chapter XV, section 3) which he also called “the Levitical Dispensation,” (book IV, Title of chapter XVII.) “the Mosaic dispensation,” (book IV, chapter XXXVI, section 2.) and “the legal dispensation.” (book III, chapter X, section 2 and the title of book V, chapter VIII.) He used this last term a third time, contrasting it with “the new dispensation of liberty” in book III, chapter X, section 4. Finally, he referred to “the future dispensation of the human race.” (book III, chapter XXII, section 3.) We should also note that he used the term the “dispensations of God,” eight times, in book I, chapter X, section 1, book I, chapter XVI, section 3, book II, chapter XXV, section 3, book III, chapter XI, section 9, book IV, chapter XX, section 10, book IV, chapter XXI, section 3, book IV, chapter XXIII, section 1, and book IV, chapter XXXIII, section 1.

Irenaeus insisted that his doctrine of the dispensations was what the church had always taught, saying, ““The Church, though dispersed through our the whole world, even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and their disciples this faith: [She believes] in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them; and in one Christ Jesus, the Son of God, who became incarnate for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who proclaimed through the prophets the dispensations of God, and the advents...” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book I, chapter X, section 1.) He said again that “Where, therefore, the gifts of the Lord have been placed, there it behoves us to learn the truth, [namely,] from those who possess that succession of the Church which is from the apostles, and among whom exists that which is sound and blameless in conduct, as well as that which is unadulterated and incorrupt in speech. For these also preserve this faith of ours in one God who created all things; and they increase that love [which we have] for the Son of God, who accomplished such marvellous dispensations for our sake: and they expound the Scriptures to us without danger, neither blaspheming God, nor dishonouring the patriarchs, nor despising the prophets.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book IV, chapter XXVI, section 5.)

We know from the writings of John Nelson Darby that he read the early church fathers, so is it any surprise, then, that when he began to write about how God works in various ways at different times, he should have chosen the word “dispensations” to describe these various periods of time? In so doing, he was not only using the very words of scripture, but the same word used by Irenaeus to describe these same ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Berl

Jan 22, 2018
Missoula
✟5,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any so called father is irrelevant especially if they taught the kingdom was outside man, the need to follow a doctrine or formula for something you were born into this world with is fools gold, the only division in scripture that illuminates flesh from spirit is 2 Corinthians 3:6 no other line is needed to understand the duality being presented.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In regard to the question of whether or not a doctrine is correct, the only thing that counts is what the Bible actually says. So my comments were not presented as even so much as evidence that Irenaeus having said these things proved them to be correct.

Instead, my comments were only presented as proof, and they are indeed PROOF, that it is simply false to claim that Dispensationalism was never taught before the early to mid 1800s, or that it originated with Darby.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am currently reading Charles Ryrie's book on dispensationalism, and he defines it this way:

"A dispensation is a distinguishable economy in the outworking of God's purpose."

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this definition.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am currently reading Charles Ryrie's book on dispensationalism, and he defines it this way:

"A dispensation is a distinguishable economy in the outworking of God's purpose."

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this definition.
I agree absolutely.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The computer has had dispensations...

The beginning was the age of DOS. People had to learn a system to function the computer.

Then Windows 1.0. New dispensation. New ways were added in how to function the computer.

And, the list goes on. In each dispensation a new and more open way was given to expand the use and benefits of computing. It was a progressive revelation.

Dial up. Then came DSL... and cable. (Like early church age with temporary gifts and incomplete canon of Scripture.)

When the "Church age computer age" began. Wireless. It was a new way to communicate with the computer that was introduced. What was once needed and applied with the old dispensation (age of Israel) no longer was applicable with wireless (Church age).

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This same question was asked a couple of years ago and here's how I answered it. I still believe it's the right answer from a practical viewpoint. I did modify it a bit.

A dispensationalist is someone who has observed correctly that God treats Jews and Gentiles differently throughout the entire Bible and tries to understand these differences through the study of scripture, using the scriptural aids of Right Division (2Tim 2:15) and trying (testing) the things that differ (Phil 1:10 - see margin).

The number of actual dispensations throughout history is very subjective. I have seen lists of as many as 16 dispensations. Most dispensational authors have settled on 7, probably because they know 7 is the number of completion. Although knowing these is basically worthless, as far as doctrine is concerned, some people, especially Acts 2 dispensationalists make a big deal about it

My list is simple and only contains 3 items, up to this point, each of which lasts 2000 years
1- The Time of the Giants. - Gen1 thru Gen 11
2- All Israel - Gen 12 thru 70AD
3- All Gentiles - 70AD thru the present day

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just thought of a different way to look at dispensationalism.

Dispensationalism, of which there are 3 main types, Ac2, mid-Acts (Ac9 or ac13), and Ax28, are the only groups in the world that I know of, that obey the rule of right division, as given in 2Tim 2:15, by Paul, the only Apostle to the Gentiles. The Ac2 people do the least, the Ac28, the most, and mid-Acts is in between. 2Tim 2:15 reads, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Since only dispensationalists rightly divide, only dispensationalists are approved by God and needeth not to be ashamed, according to scripture.

The reason God pushes us to rightly divide, is that He knows the only way to obtain scriptural truth is by right division. Everyone that doesn't use it is in a quagmire of confusion, without knowing it. Besides 1Cor 15:1-4 and Eph 2:8-9, 2Tim 2:15 is probably the most important passage in the Bible. No joke.

The demand for right division, 2Tim 2:15 and the rule to try or test the things that differ, Phil 1:10 (see margin), occur in only one place in the Bible, Paul's post-Acts epistles. From Gen !2 through the end of Acts, everything was Israel. After Acts, the calling, rules and directions changed dramatically. Also, a brand new Church was installed and, for the first time in history, the hope of the new church was to resurrected in Heaven Since everything changed at Acts 28:28, if people tried to obey both Acts doctrine and post-Acts doctrine, there would be utter confusion, which God is not the author of, and contradictions. The only solution is Right Division, which was never needed until Paul's post-Acts were written.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The following is from the book, Things That Differ, by C. R. Stam (google the words "pdf things that differ c. r. stam" for a pdf of the book).

"Many people have been frightened away from dispensationalism by the length of the word itself, especially since some who seek to rightly divide the Word have been called Ultradispensationatists! The root of this long word, however, has a very simple meaning, for the word dispense means simply to
deal out. The word dispensation, then, means the act of dispensing or dealing out, or, that which is dispensed or dealt out.

There are medical dispensaries, for example, where medicines are dispensed to the poor. Sometimes these dispensations are conducted on a particular day of each week.

Now such a dispensation of medicine may take a full twelve hours each week, but it does not follow from this that a dispensation is a period of twelve hours! Yet there are
some who, when they think of dispensations, can think of nothing but periods of time!

Indeed, one of the greatest Bible teachers of the past generation defined a dispensation as follows: "A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God."

This is incorrect, for a dispensation is not a period of time but the act of dealing out or that which is dealt out. The Bible teacher above referred to doubtless meant that a dispensation covers a period of time.

The word dispensation is not a mere theological term. It is used many times
in the Bible, though not always translated thus. In Eph. 3:2, for example, Paul writes of "the dispensation of the grace of God, which is given me to you-ward."

Just as the dispensation of the law was committed to Moses (John 1:17), so the
dispensation of the grace of God was committed to Paul.

The organic meaning of the original word for dispensation (oikonomia) is house management, though its usage conforms closely to the English word dispensation. Sometimes this word is translated stewardship in the Authorized Version.

This is interesting because the word steward (oikonomos), rather than meaning servant, as some have supposed, means house manager.

The steward was the head servant, the one into whose hands the management of the house was committed. He dealt out the money for the household necessities,
dispensed the food and clothing to the servants and children, paid the wages,
etc. All was entrusted to him to dispense faithfully and wisely.

He was the appointed dispenser of his Lord's goods and of the business of the household.

Thus we read in Luke 12:42:

"And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward [oikonomos] whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?"

The book goes on to provide other examples.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Many think that the "two peoples of God" doctrine is the central element of Dispensationalism. But that is not correct. This is not the root of Dispensationalism, but the necessary result of Dispensationalism. For Dispensationalism, in its central essence, is simply the doctrine that from time to time, God changes the way He relates to mankind. Opponents of the doctrine often dismiss it as God resorting to “plan B” when “plan A” had failed. But this is not the doctrine at all. It is rather that God is going through a series of demonstrations, which Dispensationalists sometimes call “tests,” to prove what He knew from the beginning, that mankind would fail under any conceivable circumstance.

Dispensationalism springs from a literal interpretation of the explicitly stated prophecies in the Bible, from the assumption that the prophecies actually meant exactly what God said. This, of course, taking into account the usage of well known and widely recognized figures of speech, such as Jesus calling himself both the door and the way (as in “the road,”) and also calling himself the bread of life.

This literal interpretation requires an acceptance of the many prophecies about a future program for the nation of Israel, as meaning exactly what they say. That is, that “Israel” does not mean “the church,” and “the land of Israel” does not mean “heaven.”

But what almost all non-dispensationalists (and, unfortunately, some Dispensationalists) do not understand, is that the future blessing of Israel, although it includes temple worship and animal sacrifice, is not a return to the observance of the law given through Moses. Instead, it will indeed be a "new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah." (Jeremiah 31:31) And this new covenant, based on the blood of Christ, is "not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers." (Jeremiah 31:32) In view of this, the future sacrifices and ordinances specified in Ezekiel 43:18-46:23 are distinctly different from those specified in the law of Moses, even as the temple and altar described in Ezekiel 40:5-43:17 is distinctly different from the tabernacle raised by Moses, the temple built by Solomon, and also from the new temple built by Ezra.

So, although it is completely correct that we, as Dispensationalists, teach that "the church" is a parenthesis in God's dealings with Israel, it is not correct that we (at least the more understanding among us) teach that the millennial worship will be a return to the law of Moses.

Again, we most certainly do not teach that anyone will ever be saved "just because he is a Jew," or "on the basis of DNA," as our opponents falsely claim. The nation of Israel will be physically saved from their earthly enemies, just because they are the children of Abraham. But we (all except John Hagee, if the accusations against him are true) insist that no one will ever receive the salvation of his (or her) soul without a true, living, faith in the blood Jesus shed at Calvary.

Certain highly dishonest people claim that we teach that it is possible to be saved "outside of the church." This claim is a willful attempt to deceive. We indeed claim that the scriptural term "the church," which in the Greek is "ekklesia," or "assembly," applies only those who come to faith in Christ between the time of the cross and the time of the rapture. So these people deceptively attempt to make it sound like we are teaching that "the Jews" will be saved without trusting in the blood of Jesus. This is highly dishonest, and a willful attempt to misrepresent our doctrine.

The truth is, that even the physical salvation of the nation of Israel from its earthly enemies, will only be a deliverance of those Israelites who are not only the physical descendants of Abraham, but also are his spiritual descendants. For Ezekiel 20:38 says "I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel." and Isaiah 4:4-5 says "And it shall come to pass that he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy--everyone who is recorded among the living in Jerusalem. When the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and purged the blood of Jerusalem from her midst, by the spirit of judgment and by the spirit of burning."

So the only Israelites that will survive this purging, judgment, and burning, are the ones that have placed their faith in the God of Israel, Jesus.

This is what we teach, and insist upon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A system of theology popularized mainly in twentieth-century North America, especially through the influence of the Scofield Reference Bible. The dispensationalism delineated by Scofield suggested that God works with humans in distinct ways (dispensations) through history; that God has a [Theological Terms, p. 40] distinct plan for Israel over against the church; that the Bible, especially predictive prophecy, needs to be interpreted literally; that the church will be secretly raptured from earth seven years prior to Christ’s second coming; and that Christ will rule with Israel during a literal thousand-year earthly reign. Contemporary, or progressive, dispensationalism remains thoroughly premillennial but rejects the ontological distinction between Israel and the church as two peoples of God, seeing them instead as two salvation-historical embodiments of a single people. (Pocket dictionary)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
dispensations 7.jpg
God is immutable...unchanging and unchangeable.
However His methods and economy of how to deal with Man can be found to be changing in periods of history...dispensations.

a system of order, government, or organization of a nation, community, etc., especially as existing at a particular time.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If there is not going to be two peoples? Who will have their home on the New Earth, while the Church was promised that their home is to be in Heaven? Abraham went to the grave with a promise for land that never materialized before he died. Who will then have their homes in Heaven, and not on the New Earth?

"My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so,
would I have told you that I am going there to prepare
a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back and take you to be with me that you also
may be where I am."
Jn 14:2-4​

During the Church's reign on earth with Christ, the Church will commute between their home in heaven to administer on earth. Just like now when angels have their home in Heaven while angels commute to earth to do God's business.

In contrast to the Body of Christ having its home in Heaven, the Jews were promised an everlasting Kingdom on earth, not to be confused with the Millennial of Christ that must precede it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there is not going to be two peoples? Who will have their home on the New Earth, while the Church was promised that their home is to be in Heaven? Abraham went to the grave with a promise for land that never materialized before he died. Who will then have their homes in Heaven, and not on the New Earth?

"My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so,
would I have told you that I am going there to prepare
a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back and take you to be with me that you also
may be where I am."
Jn 14:2-4​

During the Church's reign on earth with Christ, the Church will commute between their home in heaven to administer on earth. Just like now when angels have their home in Heaven while angels commute to earth to do God's business.

In contrast to the Body of Christ having its home in Heaven, the Jews were promised an everlasting Kingdom on earth, not to be confused with the Millennial of Christ that must precede it.

Not sure if we are agreed on what that passage is talking about. My understanding on that passage is the following...

When the Lord threw out The Moneychangers out of The Temple At Jerusalem, He then referred to said Temple as "My Father's House."

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

And note that His disciples had rightly understood that He had been referring to The Temple At Jerusalem.

What was actually going on there, though?

Those whom God had made overseers over Israel from His House - The Temple At Jerusalem - had long since corrupted its' Offices, or Rule.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

Consequently, what the following was actually referring to was His plan to replace their rule over Israel from The Temple, with that of The Twelve.

The Twelve would be given those mansions/ chambers / or offices of Authority in The Temple over Israel.

He has just told them, and tells them again that He is going away.

John 13:21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

You see those last two passages - verses 19 and 20? That is verse 28, in the following...

Matthew 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

They will be doing that from The Father's House: The Temple at Jerusalem...

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The "mansions" refers both to Positions of Authority (some of which are known as Princes as in Israel's Twelve Princes over their Twelve Tribes) and to Chambers or Living Quarters within The Temple At Jerusalem.

Numbers 1:44 These are those that were numbered, which Moses and Aaron numbered, and the princes of Israel, being twelve men: each one was for the house of his fathers.

Some examples of these mansions, abodes, and or Offices of Authority in The Temple At Jerusalem

Jeremiah 35:4 And I brought them into the house of the LORD, into the chamber of the sons of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah, a man of God, which was by the chamber of the princes, which was above the chamber of Maaseiah the son of Shallum, the keeper of the door:

Ezekiel 40:45 And he said unto me, This chamber, whose prospect is toward the south, is for the priests, the keepers of the charge of the house.

Ezekiel 40:46 And the chamber whose prospect is toward the north is for the priests, the keepers of the charge of the altar: these are the sons of Zadok among the sons of Levi, which come near to the LORD to minister unto him.

And so on...

This is not The Body of Christ.

Ephesians 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

All that that I have been describing is that part of Ephesians 3:15 that pertains to God's plan and purpose in a one day Redeemed Israel "in...Earth."

God's TWO-Fold Purpose: One on Earth, the other in Heaven - towards His reconciling them both back unto Himself one day...

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

For there is a part of Heaven that remains fallen...

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

That Realm will be The Body's.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

(Redeemed Israel being Believing Israelites, Romans 3 and Romans 9-11).

(The Body being formerly lost Jews and Gentiles saved this side of Israel's fall and temporary setting aside, Romans 3 and Romans 9-11).

For as in Ephesians 1 and in Ephesians 2 and Ephesians 3, BOTH GROUPS are ALSO DISTINCTLY described in those 4 chapters, in Romans.

Acts 17:11, 12.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure if we are agreed on what that passage is talking about. My understanding on that passage is the following...

When the Lord threw out The Moneychangers out of The Temple At Jerusalem, He then referred to said Temple as "My Father's House."

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

And note that His disciples had rightly understood that He had been referring to The Temple At Jerusalem.

What was actually going on there, though?

Those whom God had made overseers over Israel from His House - The Temple At Jerusalem - had long since corrupted its' Offices, or Rule.

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

Consequently, what the following was actually referring to was His plan to replace their rule over Israel from The Temple, with that of The Twelve.

The Twelve would be given those mansions/ chambers / or offices of Authority in The Temple over Israel.

He has just told them, and tells them again that He is going away.

John 13:21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

You see those last two passages - verses 19 and 20? That is verse 28, in the following...

Matthew 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

They will be doing that from The Father's House: The Temple at Jerusalem...

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The "mansions" refers both to Positions of Authority (some of which are known as Princes as in Israel's Twelve Princes over their Twelve Tribes) and to Chambers or Living Quarters within The Temple At Jerusalem.

Numbers 1:44 These are those that were numbered, which Moses and Aaron numbered, and the princes of Israel, being twelve men: each one was for the house of his fathers.

Some examples of these mansions, abodes, and or Offices of Authority in The Temple At Jerusalem

Jeremiah 35:4 And I brought them into the house of the LORD, into the chamber of the sons of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah, a man of God, which was by the chamber of the princes, which was above the chamber of Maaseiah the son of Shallum, the keeper of the door:

Ezekiel 40:45 And he said unto me, This chamber, whose prospect is toward the south, is for the priests, the keepers of the charge of the house.

Ezekiel 40:46 And the chamber whose prospect is toward the north is for the priests, the keepers of the charge of the altar: these are the sons of Zadok among the sons of Levi, which come near to the LORD to minister unto him.

And so on...

This is not The Body of Christ.

Ephesians 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

All that that I have been describing is that part of Ephesians 3:15 that pertains to God's plan and purpose in a one day Redeemed Israel "in...Earth."

God's TWO-Fold Purpose: One on Earth, the other in Heaven - towards His reconciling them both back unto Himself one day...

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

For there is a part of Heaven that remains fallen...

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

That Realm will be The Body's.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

(Redeemed Israel being Believing Israelites, Romans 3 and Romans 9-11).

(The Body being formerly lost Jews and Gentiles saved this side of Israel's fall and temporary setting aside, Romans 3 and Romans 9-11).

For as in Ephesians 1 and in Ephesians 2 and Ephesians 3, BOTH GROUPS are ALSO DISTINCTLY described in those 4 chapters, in Romans.

Acts 17:11, 12.

Wow! Do I see a big pretzel? Ohhhhh... I thinks so! :angel:

Here is what you said...

Not to mention that Ezekiel taught that there will be a new temple in the future during the Millennium on earth with Jerusalem as the capital of the Lord's nation?

But, not to get bogged down there .. we need to see what you cut off from the context.

First of all. The Father's house is not on this earth. Its Heaven. You missed that?

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have
told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place
for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am,
there you may be also."

Jesus said "many." Not simply, twelve mansions/living quarters.

And, the temple replacement is now to be found in ALL believers!

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit,
who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your
own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
1 Cor 6:19-20​

That was NEVER the case with the age of Israel. Never! Only the Church will have the indwelling Holy Spirit forever. We are promised that He will never leave us nor forsake us.

Upvote 0

Bilo

Aug 22, 2006
✟17,293.00
Faith
Baptist

If you are relying the above as the sole definition of dispensationalism you are limiting your understanding of it. Other aspects of Dispensationalism include "Chilliasm" (belief in a future millennium), a literal first interpretation of Scripture rather than an allegorical approach, denial of replacement theology, and a clear distinction between Israel and the Church.

Dispensational beliefs can be found in the Apostolic era and the centuries immediately following. It was only when the literal first rule of interpretation was replaced with an allegorical approach that it became a minority view.

Upvote 0