ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Because money doesn't buy happiness
Agreed, a root problem is that the system requires greed in order to merely survive.

I don't know of a single jurisdiction where an individual is allowed to survive self-sufficiently on his/her own without being compelled to participate in the system.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It's not about morality. God doesn't deal in morality. Morality changes with the whims of man. God never changes. God deals in absolutes. God deals in righteousness and is holy. Morality is a philosophy of man. Obedience is the Providence of God. God demands obedience. He demands righteousness and holiness. God demands perfection. That's why mankind is doomed. That's why mankind is condemned. Because we cannot be sinless or perfect or holy in and of ourselves.

There is no respector of persons with God. Morality is a useless concept when it comes to God.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God says in His Word someplace, that one of the punishments He puts on His disobedient people is that a woman would rule over them.
Disobeying His Directions leads to more trouble, not less.
If you have a chance could you find this bible verse you speak of? I could use a whole lesson on this :doh:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not about morality. God doesn't deal in morality. Morality changes with the whims of man. God never changes. God deals in absolutes. God deals in righteousness and is holy. Morality is a philosophy of man. Obedience is the Providence of God. God demands obedience. He demands righteousness and holiness. God demands perfection. That's why mankind is doomed. That's why mankind is condemned. Because we cannot be sinless or perfect or holy in and of ourselves.

There is no respector of persons with God. Morality is a useless concept when it comes to God.

Does God demand righteousness for its own sake, or is righteousness so merely because God demands it?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed, a root problem is that the system requires greed in order to merely survive.

I don't know of a single jurisdiction where an individual is allowed to survive self-sufficiently on his/her own without being compelled to participate in the system.

Indeed. In some places there are actually laws against homelessness or vagrancy, despite the fact that many legal scholars believe they are unconstitutional.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Indeed. In some places there are actually laws against homelessness or vagrancy, despite the fact that many legal scholars believe they are unconstitutional.
Homelessness isnt generally self sufficientcy. It is a way of life that is wholly dependent on the generosity of others. The homeless generally don't make their own clothes, plant and harvest their own food, create their own shelters. They beg money from others, live on other peoples land or public land. They buy or often steal food and clothing from others. They use drugs and leave the dirty needles on the ground creating a hazardous condition for others. They deficate on public and private property creating a hazardous condition. No most of them are not self sufficient.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
God demands righteousness for His sake for he is righteous.

That really tells me little about what righteousness actually is.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Homelessness isnt generally self sufficientcy.

Few people in the modern world are capable of being self-sufficient, that doesn't mean it should be a crime to depend on the generosity of others. In some parts of the world, that's a normal and accepted by part of life.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Homelessness isnt generally self sufficientcy. It is a way of life that is wholly dependent on the generosity of others. The homeless generally don't make their own clothes, plant and harvest their own food, create their own shelters. They beg money from others, live on other peoples land or public land. They buy or often steal food and clothing from others. They use drugs and leave the dirty needles on the ground creating a hazardous condition for others. They deficate on public and private property creating a hazardous condition. No most of them are not self sufficient.
I will somewhat defend them in that many homeless are mentally ill while others are veterans who were destroyed by war. The late 2000's depression also created many new homeless people. My point is that the system has flat out failed all those groups.

While some people are homeless by choice, a bigly portion of them are victims and deserve better than they have received.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
How did they get there in the first place? IMO, as I've seen, it's because they weren't lawfully allowed to be self-sufficient in the past, and so the excessive demands of the system forced them into vagrancy.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I will somewhat defend them in that many homeless are mentally ill while others are veterans who were destroyed by war. The late 2000's depression also created many new homeless people. My point is that the system has flat out failed all those groups.

While some people are homeless by choice, a bigly portion of them are victims and deserve better than they have received.

If I remember right the majority of homeless people are mentally ill. And you are right we have failed them. We have failed to provide the needed services for them. However their illness and addictions are serious problems to overcome.

I've dealt with a lot of homeless people over the years. We have shelters for them they don't stay in. We have food services but they still steal food. They leave dirty needles, commit crime and deficate in our streets. There places where homeless people are allowed to live and they are nothing but crime ridden filthy deseased places. We can provide medications but we can't force them to take them. We can provided them with services to get them off drugs and alcohol. But we can't force them to take the services and stay free of those addictions.

Quite frankly it would be far more humane to place them in facilities, get them clean, get them in meds, provide medical services and food for them than to let them wander and live on the streets.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Few people in the modern world are capable of being self-sufficient, that doesn't mean it should be a crime to depend on the generosity of others. In some parts of the world, that's a normal and accepted by part of life.

I don't think it's a crime either. But it also shouldn't be a free pass to live anywhere you want leaving dirty needles in parks and deficating wherever you like. It's not a free pass to steal.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think it's a crime either. But it also shouldn't be a free pass to live anywhere you want leaving dirty needles in parks and deficating wherever you like. It's not a free pass to steal.

Why do you think that's essential to being homeless or a beggar?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
How did they get there in the first place? IMO, as I've seen, it's because they weren't lawfully allowed to be self-sufficient in the past, and so the excessive demands of the system forced them into vagrancy.

Most of them are mentally ill, which isn't anyone's fault. Another great number if them are heavily addicted to alcohol and/or drugs, which is their fault. Very few are that way because if the demands of the system, whatever that means.

What we need to do to be humane us get them off the streets, into facilities that can care for them. Give them, food, shelter, medical attention etc. Get them on medications that can help them and get them clean if their addictions. For their sake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Because that's what the vast majority of them do. Are you not aware?

Not everybody that lives through begging is a drug user or mentally ill. Wanting to assign those people to a low moral character shows ignorance on your part. For instance, in some parts of the world, Buddhist monks lives off alms.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Not everybody that lives through begging is a drug user or mentally ill. Wanting to assign those people to a low moral character shows ignorance on your part. For instance, in some parts of the world, Buddhist monks lives off alms.
I'm not talking about Buddhist monks.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Quite frankly it would be far more humane to place them in facilities, get them clean, get them in meds, provide medical services and food for them than to let them wander and live on the streets.
I couldn't agree more. Your idea would benefit people who can be helped out of bad circumstances and it would also corral the troublesome elements out of public.

I'm all for it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not talking about Buddhist monks.

You were talking about people that live by begging, though. You implied that anybody that would live off the generosity of others was a person of low moral character.

Upvote 0