The Debate: What did your Candidate do Wrong?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The first Presidential debate was held last night. I want to try something a little different.

If you are supporting Mr. Trump, what could he have done differently in the debate? What did he say that he shouldn't have said? What didn't he say that should have been said.

If you are supporting Mrs. Clinton, what could she have done differently in the debate? What did she say that he shouldn't have said? What didn't she say that should have been said.

I want to hear your comments about the candidate you are supporting. Do not start attacking the other candidate or I will ask the mods to close the thread.

For the record, I will be voting for Jill Stein. The debate didn't much matter to me since the Green Party wasn't allowed to participate.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first Presidential debate was held last night. I want to try something a little different.

If you are supporting Mr. Trump, what could he have done differently in the debate? What did he say that he shouldn't have said? What didn't he say that should have been said.

If you are supporting Mrs. Clinton, what could she have done differently in the debate? What did she say that he shouldn't have said? What didn't she say that should have been said.

I want to hear your comments about the candidate you are supporting. Do not start attacking the other candidate or I will ask the mods to close the thread.

For the record, I will be voting for Jill Stein. The debate didn't much matter to me since the Green Party wasn't allowed to participate.

Good day Archivist. I truly hope this thread goes the way you laid it out.

My two cents is both candidates are horrible debaters and so was the moderator. Both candidates should visit a local library and study the Lincoln-Douglass debate format.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing that Trump failed to do: The moderator did not raise the issue of Clinton's e-mail nor did he bring up the issues involving the Clinton Foundation. Since the moderator failed to do so, Trump should have raised both of those issues in in his responses. I think he made one brief comment regarding the e-mail's, otherwise he failed to raise either issue.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good day Archivist. I truly hope this thread goes the way you laid it out.

My two cents is both candidates are horrible debaters and so was the moderator. Both candidates should visit a local library and study the Lincoln-Douglass debate format.
Agree. Lincoln and Douglas would have been aghast over that debacle called a "debate". While on the high school debate team, demerits were handed out to the entire team if someone interrupted the opponent or veered from the subject via personal attack. It was automatically assumed that those who felt the need to interrupt their opponent had a weak position. The solid argument is the best fighting equipment you can ever utilize. Not sarcasm or rudeness.

If the hosting organization were allowed to instantly cut the mikes of those who go over their time, veer from the subject, or start throwing personal slams against the opponent, thus instantly giving what time they have left to their opponent....

Who am I kidding? Political debates would become a thing of the past if that were to ever happen. It's really nothing more than political entertainment. Not actual "debate". I learned very little of what Hillary Clinton actually planned to do, and she shared 80% more than Trump ever did of his plans because of the constant interruptions and accusations. I was left asking "but... what is your PLAN??" whenever Trump "responded".

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing that Trump failed to do: The moderator did not raise the issue of Clinton's e-mail nor did he bring up the issues involving the Clinton Foundation. Since the moderator failed to do so, Trump should have raised both of those issues in in his responses. I think he made one brief comment regarding the e-mail's, otherwise he failed to raise either issue.
He did so in a defensive, childish way of deflecting from admitting why he hasn't released his tax information. Like Anderson Cooper said to him once in a debate, "No offense intended Mr. Trump, but that is the argument of a five-year-old." Trump failed to see the reality, and actually had the utter stupidity to repeat the accusation of 'well, he started it!"

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He did so in a defensive, childish way of deflecting from admitting why he hasn't released his tax information. Like Anderson Cooper said to him once in a debate, "No offense intended Mr. Trump, but that is the argument of a five-year-old." Trump failed to see the reality, and actually had the utter stupidity to repeat the accusation of 'well, he started it!"

Very true. It is a vaild question and one that he should be willing to answer.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agree. Lincoln and Douglas would have been aghast over that debacle called a "debate". While on the high school debate team, demerits were handed out to the entire team if someone interrupted the opponent or veered from the subject via personal attack. It was automatically assumed that those who felt the need to interrupt their opponent had a weak position. The solid argument is the best fighting equipment you can ever utilize. Not sarcasm or rudeness.

If the hosting organization were allowed to instantly cut the mikes of those who go over their time, veer from the subject, or start throwing personal slams against the opponent, thus instantly giving what time they have left to their opponent....

Who am I kidding? Political debates would become a thing of the past if that were to ever happen. It's really nothing more than political entertainment. Not actual "debate". I learned very little of what Hillary Clinton actually planned to do, and she shared 80% more than Trump ever did of his plans because of the constant interruptions and accusations. I was left asking "but... what is your PLAN??" whenever Trump "responded".

Maybe political debates are a thing of the past. Neither candidate answered a direct issue or question and the moderator was an active debate participant. Both candidates ended up rattling off their stump speech, giving out links to their campaign site, and regurgitated rehearsed personal jabs at the other.

Terrible.

Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very true. It is a vaild question and one that he should be willing to answer.
Instead he tried hiding behind his lawyer's advice to no avail. According to the IRS Trump is quite able to release his tax records to the public at any time of his choosing. It's common knowledge this is protocol and he knew it long before running for president. If the country allows Trump to set this precedent, we will deserve what we WILL surely receive in the future.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh their 'plans' were quite clear. "Vote for me because I plan on being president." We've had that 'plan' for decades now.
We've had that particular plan since the second president of the US who had to be elected. George Washington was the sole president who never had to "campaign" for the office. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that he EARNED it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlackZeppelin

Sep 26, 2016
Australia
✟18,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donald Trump did a stack of things badly. And I mean really BADLY!

Firstly, the constant interruptions and interjections. He came off as rude and abrasive.

Secondly, the horrible facial expressions on the split screen whilst Hillary was speaking. The frowns, sighs etc. It was painful to look at even for me as a Trump supporter.

The "that makes me smart" stupid comment for not paying taxes. That is hardly the way to get the average American onboard his campaign.

Also after the debate where he mocks Hillary's health, imitating her when she needed help to get in the car. And claiming the moral high ground for not speaking about Bill Clinton's infidelities.

Absolutely awful. If he loses, it is all his own fault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0