The debate over the song "Baby It's Cold Outside"

In these new times are the lyrics to this song okay to sing?

• Yes

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No -- lyrics would be best changed

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m old enough to remember when boys were told that if a woman says no that she means maybe . I’m glad that era is over . No means no. As far as the song ... it’s aged poorly but she obviously wants him but women got abused for admitting it when this was written so it was considered risqué. Women , unfortunately still get abused for not acting like they have nothing between their legs like a plastic Barbie doll. (And some poor women get abused simply because they want to leave a poor unstable relationship/ marriage but that’s another subject.)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am much more troubled by some of the songs from the Beatles I have been hearing on the Beatles channel on Sirius XM. You know - the guys that sang "Give Peace a Chance" and "All you need is Love?"

Songs like "Run for your Life," and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer;" which are about killing people, and "Getting Better," which has lyrics about how he used to be abusive, but now it is "getting better."

Run for Your Life

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Maxwell Edison, majoring in medicine
Calls her on the phone
"Can I take you out to the pictures
Joa, oa, oa, oan?"
But as she's getting ready to go
A knock comes on the door
Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Came down upon her head
Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Made sure that she was dead

Getting Better

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man, I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can (ooh)
I admit it's getting better (Better)
A little better all the time (It can't get no worse)
Yes, I admit it's getting better (Better)
It's getting better
Since you've been mine

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is a slippery slope regarding how far we wish to go with the banning of different songs and sayings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This song has been played during Christmas time for most of my life and I never thought much of it or about it.

But --

Since it is the Christmas season
I believe the poster in post number 2 has hit the nail on the head.

M-Bob

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard this song for decades with no issues....just thought it was a fun christmas song........until recently, I examined the words....and started figuring out why the guy was begging the lady to stay inside.

I guess I was too immature and nonchalant about these things.

So do I feel these lyrics now need to be changed? OF COURSE................not!

I need to change...and go back to the child like nature I once had.....when everything was good.....and I judged nothing and no one.....

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since the song isn't being pulled from Christian stations for not being Christ centered, but from secular stations for being offensive in a Me2 environment then I don't think how Christ centered the song may or may not be is the issue.

Rather, the issue is whether we as a society are going to start demanding censorship, because "Baby it's cold outside" is the least concerning song, piece of art, or literature put out there.

It would spell the end to all rap and most modern songs if censorship was cool, the end to far more art than we can likely imagine and of course let the book burning begin!

I believe in having one standard for every one.. either all songs played on every radio station in America are squeaky clean or we learn to turn off the channel to that which offends our personal sensibilities..

I vote change the channel. I like freedom too much.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
C78C18A3-4D5E-455A-954C-EE9E9EE8F5C3.jpeg
If the song doesn't extol Christ, there is no reason for me to sing or listen to it.
. You’d miss a lot of really good music . I just heard the Danish orchestra and a chorus do The theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Which is the name of a Clint Eastwood movie from the 60s . The theme is a good piece of music.

When my kids were little I told them that they could listen to rap only if they listened to all music or none of it. So I had jazz , pop, classical, opera and some world music . I didn’t censor them as I had more important things to do that chase after a stubborn preteen over unimportant things. Long story short, my oldest likes pop from the 50s and 60s and my youngest likes operettas and classical and disco. I’m only sorry that I didn’t have more country or faith music for them to listen to. By faith music I don’t mean just Christian faith music either.
The picture from the video is a screenshot I can’t link from my phone for some weird reason. It’s on YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are those against this song racists? Does the thought of a Hispanic man being with a white woman bother them?
?????

Hispanic?? Dean Martin was not Hispanic. Neither was Red Skelton, Or Mr Lessor, the composer.

As to it being sung by Ricardo Montalban, everyone thought of him as being a Spaniard (white) rather than Mexican.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 246755 . You’d miss a lot of really good music . I just heard the Danish orchestra and a chorus do The theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Which is the name of a Clint Eastwood movie from the 60s . The theme is a good piece of music.

When my kids were little I told them that they could listen to rap only if they listened to all music or none of it. So I had jazz , pop, classical, opera and some world music . I didn’t censor them as I had more important things to do that chase after a stubborn preteen over unimportant things. Long story short, my oldest likes pop from the 50s and 60s and my youngest likes operettas and classical and disco. I’m only sorry that I didn’t have more country or faith music for them to listen to. By faith music I don’t mean just Christian faith music either.
The picture from the video is a screenshot I can’t link from my phone for some weird reason. It’s on YouTube
Uhmm not at all. The more I know God, the more vile everything ungodly becomes. Call me crazy or boring but even Christian music that seems to be 'cool' just to appeal to masses without exalting Christ is not my cup of tea. I find it distasteful. If I wanna enjoy some cool music, there are lots of old Christian ballads/Hymns. If it is not for Christ, I have no business listening to it no matter how cool it sounds. Guess am an old soul but if God is a jealous God, then I want to be separated for Him(in every smallest possible way) and am quite intentional on that.
I get you though and you are free to enjoy any music that appeals to you.

• Winner
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I believe what they wish is for this song not to be played this Christmas season at places such as the mall. Outlaw it from public places.

I say to that (too much government.)

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hispanic?? Dean Martin was not Hispanic.
In the movie, it was Ricardo Montalbán.

I think the song gets fresh, but it was originally performed by a husband & wife. Frank Loesser, the husband/writer, once said that his wife felt betrayed when he licensed their song --making him the evil of two Loessers...! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟812,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I certainly have sympathy for those who are a victim of date rape but applying something to a song which doesn't apply doesn't correct their problem. It shows they need more help in healing from a horrible crime.

Upvote 0

moonlit

Dec 9, 2018
Tasmania
✟10,266.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The song is from a bygone era - I like it, think the tune is sweet.

Gentle coercion, showing of traditional roles, romantic, slightly flirty and swoon-worthy.

The girl could leave anytime, I feel - but the fact that she stays while he sings the song to her tells me she's just waiting for the guy to win her over.

It's innocent enough

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since it was decided to pull “Baby it’s Cold Outside” from playlists because someone was offended, I feel that these other holiday songs are also on the chopping block.

1. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus: subjecting minors to softcore inappropriate content

2. The Christmas Song: Open fire? Pollution. Folks dressed up like Eskimos? Cultural appropriation

3. Holly Jolly Christmas: Kiss her once for me? Unwanted advances

4. White Christmas? Racist

5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Sees you when you’re sleeping? Knows when you’re awake? Peeping Tom stalker

6. Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Everyone telling you be of good cheer? Forced to hide depression

7. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Bullying

8. It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Forced gender-specific gifts: dolls for Janice and Jen and boots and pistols (GUNS!) for Barney and Ben

9. Santa Baby: Gold digger, blackmail

10. Frosty the Snowman: Sexist; not a snow woman

11. Do You Hear What I Hear: blatant disregard for the hearing impaired

12. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Make the yuletide GAY? Wow, just wow

13. Jingle Bell Rock: Giddy up jingle horse, pick up your feet: animal abuse

14. Mistletoe and Holly: Overeating, folks stealing a kiss or two? How did this song ever see the light of day?

15. Winter Wonderland: Parson Brown demanding they get married…forced partnership

16. I'll Be Home For Christmas: Not if you are homeless. That's just Insensitive

17. Grandma got ran over by a reindeer: Homicide. Extremely violent and promotes alcoholism.

Upvote 0