The debacle that is the obama presidency...

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She can rail against liberals, talk in a down-home folksy sort of way, smile pretty, and she can shoot wolves from a helicopter.

By today's standards, she's in like Flynn. That's all the resumé some think you need to run an industrial superpower.

All of which are pretty good skills, but I'll answer the question later. Have other obligations right now.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure what you mean by conservative instincts. Could you explain a bit more please?

Like what they are and what she has?

You seem to be asking for a serious response, so here goes.

To begin, I don't know if I would ever vote for Sarah Palin for President: I would have to get a better feel for her maturity and strength of leadership. I sing her praises mostly to rile the up the liberals, it's so easy and satisfying. But I DO think her conservative political instincts will be good for America, in whatever way she can advocate for them, unlike Obama who is COMPLETELY at odds with what is good for the country. I would have to look hard and long in my background to see if I have ever encountered an educated man so foolish, so devoid of common sense, and so complete wrong for America..

Listed below are just a few of Sarah Palin's stated policy positions taken from Wikipedia. Other positions, and more in depth information can be found in several of her recent speeches, and on several supportive conservative web sites. It is here strong commitments to the political philosophy of "limited government" and to the security of Israel that I find most reassuring in her instincts.

Political positions of Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palin told the Associated Press that her personal beliefs would not dictate her public policies, adding that she was "not one to be out there preaching and forcing my views on anyone else."

Palin, is a strong proponent of gun ownership rights, and a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.

Palin is opposed to abortion in almost all cases, including rape and incest, but not if the life of the mother is endangered.

Palin believes that Roe v. Wade should be overturned and the issue of abortion be decided at the state level.

Palin approves of adult stem cell research, but not embyonic stem cell research

Palin, in filling judicial positions in Alaska asked prospective appointees about work history and judicial philosophy, but not about their position on abortion or specific cases.

Palin has declared herself in favor of capital punishment.

Palin supports strict enforcement of borders as the first priority in dealing with illegal immigration, rejects amnesty, and supports a path to citizenship for illegal imnigrants.

Palin describes herself as a fiscal conservative, stating “I came into office (Alaska governorship) promising to control spending – by request if possible and by veto if necessary…I suspended the state fuel tax, and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress.”

Palin supports free market competition in health care, and laws allowing patients better access to medical pricing information.

Palin has stated that raising taxes is about killing jobs and hurting small businesses and making the hindering the economy.

Palin has said that "we need to maintain a strong defense" even in our current economic difficulties She expressed her opposition to ending production of the F-22 Raptor fighter aircraft, and C-17 cargo aircraft

Palin has stated that she would "work to expand and deepen the strategic partnership between U.S. and Israel." "Let there be no doubt: I will always keep the threat of military action on the table to defend our security and our ally Israel."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuneSoldier

Apr 22, 2010
✟8,302.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to be asking for a serious response, so here goes.

To begin, I don't know if I would ever vote for Sarah Palin for President: I would have to get a better feel for her maturity and strength of leadership. I sing her praises mostly to rile the up the liberals, it's so easy and satisfying. But I DO think her conservative political instincts will be good for America, in whatever way she can advocate for them, unlike Obama who is COMPLETELY at odds with what is good for the country. I would have to look hard and long in my background to see if I have ever encountered an educated man so foolish, so devoid of common sense, and so complete wrong for America..

Listed below are just a few of Sarah Palin's stated policy positions taken from Wikipedia. Other positions, and more in depth information can be found in several of her recent speeches, and on several supportive conservative web sites. It is here strong commitments to the political philosophy of "limited government" and to the security of Israel that I find most reassuring in her instincts.

Political positions of Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palin told the Associated Press that her personal beliefs would not dictate her public policies, adding that she was "not one to be out there preaching and forcing my views on anyone else."

Palin, is a strong proponent of gun ownership rights, and a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.

Palin is opposed to abortion in almost all cases, including rape and incest, but not if the life of the mother is endangered.

Palin believes that Roe v. Wade should be overturned and the issue of abortion be decided at the state level.

Palin, in filling judicial positions in Alaska asked prospective appointees about work history and judicial philosophy, but not about their position on abortion or specific cases.

Palin supports strict enforcement of borders as the first priority in dealing with illegal immigration, rejects amnesty, and supports a path to citizenship for illegal imnigrants.

Palin describes herself as a fiscal conservative, stating “I came into office (Alaska governorship) promising to control spending – by request if possible and by veto if necessary…I suspended the state fuel tax, and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress.”

Palin supports free market competition in health care, and laws allowing patients better access to medical pricing information.

Palin has stated that raising taxes is about killing jobs and hurting small businesses and making the hindering the economy.

Palin has said that "we need to maintain a strong defense" even in our current economic difficulties She expressed her opposition to ending production of the F-22 Raptor fighter aircraft, and C-17 cargo aircraft

Palin has stated that she would "work to expand and deepen the strategic partnership between U.S. and Israel." "Let there be no doubt: I will always keep the threat of military action on the table to defend our security and our ally Israel."

Thanks for the informative answer. I'm just curious because she seemed the most polarizing figure in the last election. Most people I know around here either loved her or hated her, and I feel she wound up driving a lot of moderates in this area (NH) towards the democratic party.

That being said I don't particularly like the policies she's outlining.

Okay, but difficult I think. I see her as a pentecostal champion and would have a hard time with this. I speak as someone who went to an AG church for 12 years.

Agree.

Abortion doesn't matter to me as an issue. Actually that's incorrect I'm Pro-Life but I don't believe any politician is going to seriously try and tackle it.

See above.

I don't recall. Are aborted fetuses the only source for embryonic stem cells, or have a been misinformed?

Good.

Again, I'm Pro-Life. I don't believe the government should have the authority to take the life from a citizen, except in a time of war.

I'm not sure if we can adequately secure our borders without spending more cash than it's worth.

I don't know that necessarily suspending a fuel tax is a good thing. I kind of think we should be funneling more money towards alternative fuels. Part of the way we can do that is slowly artificially increase the price of gas...

Though in the past few years we have been able to let the market run it up by itself.

I'm not sure if the free market actually works in health care any more than it does with police or fire protection. Sometimes I think it would be an interesting experiment to try and test many different health care models on the state level and then regroup in say 5 years and figure out what worked the best. The problem is, I'm sure that would be cold consolation to the people who died under the worst system during those 5 years.

I don't see taxes as a bad thing. Provided I see a benefit to paying those taxes. Like public libraries, roads, police, fire protection, military, and in my ideal world a working health care system.

I disagree with this. We don't need air superiority fighters, they are useless against our current enemies. Anyone we would tangle with that could match our air-force wouldn't attack us due to the threat of nuclear annihilation. I'd rather we supported the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan better.

I never understood why we care so much about our ties with Israel. It's seems like we care more about them than any other ally for no reason I can fathom.

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well at least he can read it correctly (unlike W.)

Maybe you should try cleaning up Bush's mess and see how well you do in less than 2 years. (remember, W is the guy who blew thru the budget surplus Clinton left him in less than one term)

And obama is the guy who spent more in half a term than bush did in 8 years of war.

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What did you expect?

You think the corporations actually want someone in charge who might grow a pair, realize he is the most powerful man in the world, and actually do his job of serving the American people rather than corporate America?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

As if SOMEHOW the same man who signed a bill that is a godsend to corporations is standing up to them.

Oh wow that is high comedy.

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟21,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

As if SOMEHOW the same man who signed a bill that is a godsend to corporations is standing up to them.

Oh wow that is high comedy.

You, uh, missed my point. :D

The point I was making was that the corporations would never have allowed Barack Obama anywhere near the White House if he wasn't loyal to them. I wasn't saying that Obama was standing up to them--to the contrary, he's just as much a corporate quisling as Bush II, Clinton, Bush I and Reagan. Obama just put on airs to the contrary.

If Obama did turn against the corporate elite, I'd give him two, maybe three months tops before he ended up next to Jimmy Hoffa.

Upvote 0

Toot La-Rue

When it rains, it - well, rains...
Apr 23, 2010
You are where you are
✟7,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TNWM: The solution to your persistent (ad-nauseum) "it's all the corporations' fault!" message is limited government - getting back to the constitutionally enumerated powers that limit the federal government's powers to a few (17) specific duties.

It's hard to corrupt a government with your money when your money wouldn't buy you anything of corporate interest anyway.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Barack Obama refuses populism and favours a rather long term approach to tackling problems, contrary to what politicians are doing. God Bless America for having such a President! I hope that the country will one day recognize him for making tough and wise political choices that has nothing to do with high approval ratings. Obviously, it is easier for some Americans to lend a complacent ear to the demagogues of the Tea Party movement than to listen to what a President with a rational vision for his country and the world is saying.
See, that's the problem - some people's concept of what "rational vision" for a country means. The latest British proposal that all employers send their employee's paychecks to the British government first, so the government can assess how much they owe is [in their mind] a "rational vision" for how taxes ought to be paid. Totally insane to most people, but totally rational to others.

It will be very interesting to see how the average Brit lends their ear to such insanity.

Well at least he can read it correctly (unlike W.)

Maybe you should try cleaning up Bush's mess and see how well you do in less than 2 years. (remember, W is the guy who blew thru the budget surplus Clinton left him in less than one term)
Well, at least Dubya knew how many states there were in the union too. Seems an Ivy League education doesn't account for much anymore now does it? :p

Sheesh, having tossed more of America's hard-earned money to the wind in 19 months than the entire last two terms... if Bush made a mess, BO's machinations truly raise the bar to the meaning of the word.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
TNWM: The solution to your persistent (ad-nauseum) "it's all the corporations' fault!" message is limited government - getting back to the constitutionally enumerated powers that limit the federal government's powers to a few (17) specific duties.

It's hard to corrupt a government with your money when your money wouldn't buy you anything of corporate interest anyway.

You're right. Let's just make the Government small enough to be inept to stop corporate interests even when they run contrary to public interests. That way corporations won't need to buy out the government; it's small enough to pose no problem any-way.

Upvote 0

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
232323232%7Ffp6324%3A%3Enu%3D6877%3E%3B%3C%3B%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C69254%3A7349nu0mrj

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sinner/SAVED

homo unis libri / εραστής της φρόνησης
Dec 3, 2004
Sowega
✟11,386.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
And obama is the guy who spent more in half a term than bush did in 8 years of war.

Wrong
$21,015,000,000,000 2001-2008

vs.

$7,239,000,000,00 2009-2010

And if cost of government goes down as predicted over the next several years, President Obama will end up spending much less in his two terms than Bush did.

I wish you partiers would start using facts. You would all change sides if you would actually look at the facts instead of following the party line blindly......

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know that necessarily suspending a fuel tax is a good thing. I kind of think we should be funneling more money towards alternative fuels. Part of the way we can do that is slowly artificially increase the price of gas...
What most people don't understand is that gas taxes do not artificially raise the cost of fuel. The cost of fuel includes road maintenance, environmental damage, etc. Big oil conservatives like to hide those costs by having them paid from other tax streams. The fact is that the real cost of fuel is around $5/gallon. So when I pay $2.50 at the pump the cost isn't artificially increased, it's artificially reduced.

</rant>

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
HA!! Lord obama could be a great leader, just not for the United States of America. He has no character and no principles. I'm glad he's been exposed for the fraud that he is, and that the only thing he does well is read from a teleprompter.

Really? He seems to be doing an okay job from what I can see. Nothing overwhelmingly brilliant, admittedly, but then nothing outstandingly abysmal either.

David.

Upvote 0

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? He seems to be doing an okay job from what I can see. Nothing overwhelmingly brilliant, admittedly, but then nothing outstandingly abysmal either.

David.

I, like most Americans, am not impressed by European opinions. If you want an American understanding of why Obama and his political philosophy is crashing and burning so spectacularly read Victor David Hanson: http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/president-4060/?singlepage=true

1) A bad agenda. Nearly every issue the president embraces polls against him, often at a 3-1 margin. Cap and trade, amnesty, state-run health care, more bailouts, takeovers, deficits, taxes, and the national debt. His vision is the same as that of the EU circa 1990 &#8212; one that even Europe now rejects as a failure.

The answer to every challenge is to found a new program, borrow billions to run it, hire millions more loyal to the progressive gospel of public employment, and demagogue any who oppose it. The public is starting to see that the president&#8217;s ideology is really a mixture of the Ivy League, the left-wing of the Democratic Party, the tired canards of the black caucus, extremist residuals from Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers, and twenty years of university multicultural, utopian pacifist, and moral equivalent indoctrination. His Democratic Party is not one with half the House Democrats and does not appeal to liberal independents. He&#8217;s the sort of progressive professor whom the proverbial new student comes home at Thanksgiving to quote to a shocked parent..

We are simply not going to accept a political system determined to dominate and completely control our lives.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No I wouldn't want a President McCain - Vice President Palin administration, and that's why I didn't vote Republican in 2008 (I didn't vote Democratic either.)

If the ticket had been President Palin - Vice President McCain, I would have enthusiastically voted for that ticket!:p:p:p:p:p

The very idea of Sarah Palin as president scares the crap out of me. I'd vote for Snoopy if she were running and I didn't like the other candidate.

Whether or not Obama turns out to be a good, bad or mediocre president there is this comforting thought - if you really dislike him you can vote him out in 2 more years. I just hope we have a decent choice by then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What most people don't understand is that gas taxes do not artificially raise the cost of fuel. The cost of fuel includes road maintenance, environmental damage, etc. Big oil conservatives like to hide those costs by having them paid from other tax streams. The fact is that the real cost of fuel is around $5/gallon. So when I pay $2.50 at the pump the cost isn't artificially increased, it's artificially reduced.

</rant>
^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ Whaaaaa? :doh:

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1) A bad agenda. Nearly every issue the president embraces polls against him, often at a 3-1 margin.
Reality is that most of hist agenda is overwhelming supported before the Republican ammendments are added. The health care proposal that Obama first put out was supported by nearly 3/4 of Americans. It wasn't until Reps got literally everything they wanted added to that bill in exchange for their vote (every singe one lied) did support plummet.

Cap and trade,
Which was a Republican proposal.

What amnesty?

state-run health care,
Overwhelming supported.

more bailouts,
Which stated under Bush and was supported by Reps at the time.

takeovers,
No takeovers occured.

Reagan stated the path toward huge deficits and he is seen as a conservative hero.

Obama lowered taxes for most Americans.

and the national debt.
See comment on deficit.

...Ivy League, the left-wing of the Democratic Party, the tired canards of the black caucus, extremist residuals from Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers, and twenty years of university multicultural, utopian pacifist,.
You are clearly an elitist. I travel quite a bit and I will tell you that you don't find much elitisism in big cities or universities; I've never seen anything but respect for hard working, average Americans from those places. The current breed of elitism is found in rural America; I see lots of contempt for city dwellers and intectuals when I visit rural areas.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0