Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To give a bit of background, the President of the Mormon Church, Thomas Monson, died last week. There were a number of nice obituaries in the national press, but the NY Times started theirs off, "Thomas Monson, the president of the Mormon church who rebuffed demands to ordain women as priests and refused to alter church opposition to same-sex marriage, died Tuesday at 90." Some also compared how people like Fidel Castro, Hugh Hefner, and even Charles Manson got nicer obituaries from the NY Times.

I thought it was interesting that the Times did that and didn't care for it and thought about posting about it here. However, what finally made me decide it was an article in The Federalist, that ends, "That fact is what the Times apparently finds most troubling and worthy of their contempt, so much so that they took the opportunity of Monson’s obituary to smear not just the Mormon president and prophet, but also all Americans of faith. For that reason, the Times should be held to account not just by the millions of Mormons in America, but other religious Americans as well."

I'm curious what people here feel about the obituary. Was it fair, merely reacting to key issues that Pres. Monson dealt with during his time leading the Mormon Church? Or, is it more of an attack (similar to what The Federalist is saying) on churches in general (who are largely against same-sex marriage and split on female clergy)?

Also, does this change your opinion of the NY Times?

Well, it is news when someone like that dies and they were describing some realities about that person.

Now, there is no question, the NYT and other media outlets, like to magnify certain facts that fit their narrative and that is what they did here.

Upvote 0