Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Because Mt Everest was once the sea floor, it's been pushed up and still rising due to the ongoing movement of the landmass.

View attachment 196848

Have we been able to measure the increasing height? and where is the earth fall at an equal rate?

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So why challenge me on my background? Did you post on the debate/discussion section of a Christian forum in hopes that a large group of trained geologists would want to discuss this?

Because you seem to making arguments against mainstream geology, I was wondering about your qualifications to do so. If you would like to know how these craters are dated there is plenty of information out there.

One of our moderators is a practicing geologist, hopefully he'll show up sooner or later and can give a detailed response to your questions.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Because you seem to making arguments against mainstream geology, I was wondering about your qualifications to do so. If you would like to know how these craters are dated there is plenty of information out there.

They didn't exist when I was in engineering school...so since this is mainstream geology, I would think you could give me the name of the devices so I could read up. Is that really asking too much?

How do you date rocks back 1 million years old?

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They didn't exist when I was in engineering school...so since this is mainstream geology, I would think you could give me the name of the devices so I could read up. Is that really asking too much?

I can only provide a simple answer: Radiometric dating

Radioactive elements were incorporated into the Earth when the Solar System formed. All rocks and minerals contain tiny amounts of these radioactive elements. Radioactive elements are unstable; they breakdown spontaneously into more stable atoms over time, a process known as radioactive decay. Radioactive decay occurs at a constant rate, specific to each radioactive isotope. Since the 1950s, geologists have used radioactive elements as natural "clocks" for determining numerical ages of certain types of rocks.

Radiometric clocks are "set" when each rock forms. "Forms" means the moment an igneous rock solidifies from magma, a sedimentary rock layer is deposited, or a rock heated by metamorphism cools off. It's this resetting process that gives us the ability to date rocks that formed at different times in earth history.

A commonly used radiometric dating technique relies on the breakdown of potassium (40K) to argon (40Ar). In igneous rocks, the potassium-argon "clock" is set the moment the rock first crystallizes from magma. Precise measurements of the amount of 40K relative to 40Ar in an igneous rock can tell us the amount of time that has passed since the rock crystallized. If an igneous or other rock is metamorphosed, its radiometric clock is reset, and potassium-argon measurements can be used to tell the number of years that has passed since metamorphism.

As I say, I don't have the education to give a more detailed explanation, maybe another member can.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
two moving objects can collide...one does not have to be stationary...

The first example that pops in my head is a baseball bat and a pitched baseball...neither are stationary when they collide...
But if the bat is moving away from the ball when the ball hits it then the impact won't be as severe. Earth is moving in orbit in relation to our Sun at approx. 65,000 miles per hour.

How Fast Do Asteroids Travel? What is the Average Orbital Speed of an Asteroid?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will admit that it has been a while since I have read up on some of this but what machine/computer have they developed that can measure the ages of things from a million years ago?
What didn't happen? Is it possible to get complete sentence which contain complete ideas?

Just responding to AV in the same way he responds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
But if the bat is moving away from the ball when the ball hits it then the impact won't be as severe.

Actually if the bat is moving away, they won't collide at all because it will be going in a different direction than the ball and the only noise will come from a different direction and it will sound like "STRIKE"

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Have we been able to measure the increasing height? and where is the earth fall at an equal rate?
Yes, we've been using GPS to measure movement of land bases. Everest grows on average 0.1576 inches each year. A recent earthquake dropped it by an inch.

Also, there have been many huge floods over millions of years which can be seen in the diverse fossils deposited in the strata. The Hebrews fictional flood of Noah was a genealogical devise. They were attempting to trace their bloodlines back to the legandary Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't belive it was a meteorite that killed off the dinosaurs, I think it was their small brains ...
Then how did scientists survive? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Yes, we've been using GPS to measure movement of land bases. Everest grows on average 0.1576 inches each year. A recent earthquake dropped it by an inch.

So how do we know it is the ocean bottom rising...it sounds like actual evidence indicates it goes both ways because we know earthquakes aren't uncommon.

How many years records of height change on Everest do we have?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If two cars collide, does that mean that one of them had to be standing still?
I'll have to read the article and see if it says "collided" or "hit."

You do know there can be a difference, do you not?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Dating Techniques:

*Uranium to Lead --- minerals --- 1M to 4.5B years

*Rubidium to Strontium --- minerals --- 60M to 4.5B years

*Potassium to Argon --- minerals --- 10K to 3B years

*Uranium Series Disequibrium --- minerals, shell, bone, teeth, coral --- 0 to 0.4M years

*Carbon 14 --- minerals, shell, wood, bone, teeth --- 0 to 40K years

*Fission Track --- minerals, natural glass --- 0.5M to 1B years

*Thermoluminsecence --- minerals, natural glass --- 0 to 0.5M years

*Electron Spin Resonance --- minerals, teeth, shell, coral --- 1K to 1M years

*Geomagnetic Polarity --- minerals --- 0.8M to 200M years

*Amino Acid Racemization --- shells, other biocarbonates --- 500 to 0.3M years

*Obsidian Hydration --- natural glass --- 500 to 0.2M years

*Dendrochronology --- tree rings --- 0 to 12K years

*Lichenometry --- lichens --- 100 to 9K years

These and other dating technologies are remarkably consistent with each other. Each of course has its own limitations and like any scientific measurement or calculation each has a range of possible error which is carefully calculated.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I can only provide a simple answer: Radiometric dating

Radioactive elements were incorporated into the Earth when the Solar System formed. All rocks and minerals contain tiny amounts of these radioactive elements. Radioactive elements are unstable; they breakdown spontaneously into more stable atoms over time, a process known as radioactive decay. Radioactive decay occurs at a constant rate, specific to each radioactive isotope. Since the 1950s, geologists have used radioactive elements as natural "clocks" for determining numerical ages of certain types of rocks.

Radiometric clocks are "set" when each rock forms. "Forms" means the moment an igneous rock solidifies from magma, a sedimentary rock layer is deposited, or a rock heated by metamorphism cools off. It's this resetting process that gives us the ability to date rocks that formed at different times in earth history.

A commonly used radiometric dating technique relies on the breakdown of potassium (40K) to argon (40Ar). In igneous rocks, the potassium-argon "clock" is set the moment the rock first crystallizes from magma. Precise measurements of the amount of 40K relative to 40Ar in an igneous rock can tell us the amount of time that has passed since the rock crystallized. If an igneous or other rock is metamorphosed, its radiometric clock is reset, and potassium-argon measurements can be used to tell the number of years that has passed since metamorphism.

As I say, I don't have the education to give a more detailed explanation, maybe another member can.

Here is a source challenging the accuracy of radiometric dating...
Dating Methods

Upvote 0