United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our desire for self-sufficiency has a surprisingly unpalatable history

When a bare-chested Jacob Chansley was photographed storming the US Capitol last week, it seemed safe to assume that, with his heavy tattoos and furry, horned headdress, here was a man who didn’t care for the latest lifestyle fads. How surprising it was, then, to discover yesterday that, at least when it comes to his palate, the “QAnon shaman” is rather picky. According to his mum — of course it was his mum — Chansley can only eat organic food, and, as a result, has been forced to go on an effective hunger strike since he was imprisoned on Saturday. (A judge has since ordered US Marshals to accommodate his rather particular dietary requirements.)

But for anyone who has studied the history of organic and local food movements (as I did while writing my book, Ending Hunger), their apparent endorsement by a far-Right conspiracy theorist might actually seem rather appropriate. For when you start to explore how they came about, things soon get surprisingly dark.

Continued below.
The dark roots of faddish food movements - UnHerd

• Informative
Reactions: SashaMaria

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I don't agree with the author at all. The whole farm to table movement stemmed from not wanting to eat food laced with pesticides, same for the organic movement. Several months ago I read where the Chinese bought one of our large meat producers, of course the US government was quick to say the meat would be of US origin, that's until it is out of sight out of mind then they will import.

Do a search of Chinese pig farming it is disgusting. Think Smithfield meat
Bought by China's WH Group Ltd 0288.HK six years ago for $4.7 billion, Smithfield

I am careful and try not to buy anything from China food wise.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0