N/A
✟13,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yoga stems from Hindu and Buddhist beliefs. It has become a common practice in today's society, even among Christians as a form of stretching and exercise. However, yoga also practices a type of meditation, such as clearing the mind and deep concentration and the power in the body. This is a very dangerous practice. As a Christian, we should never clear our mind. Instead, we should always fill out mind with scripture , the worship of God and prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have a Christian friend who attends all types of yoga classes. She recommended that I try it because my balance is way off because of a car accident years ago when I broke my femor bone. One leg is shorter than the other. Anyway, I decided, by her advice to attend a yoga stretching class to help my balance. It was not at all what I expected. It turns out that each stretching pose stood for something mystical in their belief system. I also was not expecting the meditation after the exercises. It felt very dark . I prayed the whole entire meditation time to God and scripture in the Bible instead of what the instructor wanted us to do.

Recently, I heard of a church advertising ' Christian' yoga classes. How can darkness and light occur at the same time, it can't!!

I wanted to get the word out about this deception and my experience with it and how dangerous it can be. I am very thankful that I have the holy spirit living within me, being a born again Christian and a Christ follower. I am also thankful that I realized right away what it was and was not deceived. I immediately ask God for his forgiveness . I love Him and do not want anything to come between my relationship with Him.

I am posting this to help others through the direction of the holy spirit prompting me.. Thank you and God bless you!

Yeah meditation isn't prayer.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
What is prayer?

A bunch of words or an attitude of the heart?

Apparently, prayer is informing God of all the things you want him to do and never letting him get a word in edgewise. :)

(Personally, I'm more inclined to "attitude of the heart" and listening though.)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a Christian forum by the way.

I don't think one can pray without being mindful, otherwise it's just as Jesus said, it's alot of vain words. It's not unlike talking over someone in a conversation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ lives in whoever sincerely believes in Him and calls on Him for salvation. But He is the Christ of the scriptures. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Romans 10:17. Christ is not some metaphysical spirit of love.

1 Corinthians 15:45 comes to mind.

Evangelicalism is based off taking the Bible and trying to over-simplify what it means to be a disciple of Jesus, in a way that the historical Jesus would find unrecognizable. It is spiritual training wheels, at best. With all the real problems the world faces, and the egocentricity/narcissism present in many Christians in America, I just no longer find it a compelling response to the world and its problems.

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Evangelicalism is based off taking the Bible and trying to over-simplify what it means to be a disciple of Jesus, in a way that the historical Jesus would find unrecognizable. It is spiritual training wheels, at best. With all the real problems the world faces, and the egocentricity/narcissism present in many Christians in America, I just no longer find it a compelling response to the world and its problems.

Christ is the answer for the world. Without Christ you will die in your sins. John 8:24. Christ’s own worlds,

Christ said “ If you do not believe in me you will die in your sins“. John 8:24. These are Christ’s words not evangelicalism’s. Christ is the answer for a lost world. Not a religion, or belonging to a certain church or ascribing to a certain religious movement within Christianity. It’s faith in Christ as your Savior and Lord. It actually is very simple. Many times men make it overly complicated and like to add in their own religiosity. Believing in Christ makes you part of the body of Christ all those who truly have faith in Christ. Christ said he would build his church. No matter the failings of the Christian church it is Christ Church, and he said the gates of hell will not prevail against it. No matter the failings of the overall Christian body of denominations, there is a true Church, those who born of the Spirit. Not everyone who claims the name of Christ are truly His. Christ said this as well. Not sure how 1Cor 15:45 applies to this discussion?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ is the answer for the world. Without Christ you will die in your sins. John 8:24. Christ’s own worlds,

What does it mean to have Christ? Is having Christ living a narcissistic , self-centered life steeped in ignorance? I don't think so. If Christ is indeed the Way, the Truth, and the Life, then embracing superstition and ignorance is incompatible with Christ's own being . And yet Evangelicalism in the US promotes superstitions like the Rapture or denial of valid science about human origins and the environment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does it mean to have Christ? Is having Christ living a narcissistic , self-centered life steeped in ignorance? I don't think so. If Christ is indeed the Way, the Truth, and the Life, then embracing superstition and ignorance is incompatible with Christ's own being . And yet Evangelicalism in the US promotes superstitions like the Rapture or denial of valid science about human origins and the environment.

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We receive Christ by trusting in him as our Lord and Savior. He died on the cross to redeem us from our fallen state in sin. We come to Him trusting Him to save us. Pretty simple. Not by any of our works, only his complete work on the cross can bring that about. Otherwise if it’s by any of our works in Christ died in vain as the scripture say. Christ talked about Adam and Eve Himself. Christianity does not speak against science. There are many Christian scientists. The earliest scientists were Christians. But that’s neither here nor there when we’re talking about how does one become a Christian. How do you think one receives Christ?

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe I had you confused with someone else. But on this topic, how about yoga? Demonic?

I think Christ can use yoga to help us.
I don’t believe most yoga that people do in our country is demonic, no. I am careful to not call everything that isn’t found in the Bible demonic because I don’t believe that. Do I think Christ can use yoga to help us? I believe Christ works through the Holy Spirit who lives in us and leads us as the New Testament indicates. The beneficial aspects I have experienced with yoga are the physical aspects mainly. It does flow over to a calming effect on me at times too. I really don’t do it that much except for the stretching/exercise benefits from time to time. But the spiritual side of yoga as I understand it has its roots in mainly Buddhism. Buddhism doesn’t believe in God traditionally, and especially not the God of our Lord Jesus Christ nor do they believe in Christ as Savior. So no, I don’t believe Christ uses yoga to help us. He helps us through the H.S.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do some of you think yoga has its roots in Buddhism? It pre-dates Buddhism and has been embraced by several religions. It is a tool.

That being said, there can also be an underlying metaphysics one can buy into. But it is by no means required in order to enjoy the benefits of hatha stretches.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t believe most yoga that people do in our country is demonic, no. I am careful to not call everything that isn’t found in the Bible demonic because I don’t believe that. Do I think Christ can use yoga to help us? I believe Christ works through the Holy Spirit who lives in us and leads us as the New Testament indicates. The beneficial aspects I have experienced with yoga are the physical aspects mainly. It does flow over to a calming effect on me at times too. I really don’t do it that much except for the stretching/exercise benefits from time to time. But the spiritual side of yoga as I understand it has its roots in mainly Buddhism. Buddhism doesn’t believe in God traditionally, and especially not the God of our Lord Jesus Christ nor do they believe in Christ as Savior. So no, I don’t believe Christ uses yoga to help us. He helps us through the H.S.

No. Yoga, as we know it typically in the West, is not descended from Buddhism. The only thing they have in common is they both come from the Indian Sramana traditions (sramana means "striver", they were those who were seeking liberation from suffering, dissatsified with the idea that life merely must repeat itself over and over).

The metaphysics of Pantajali's Yoga Sutra actually is closer to medieval western dualism and distinguishes between Ishvara (the Lord, Creator God) and the soul and between spirit and matter. The goal is union with God through meditative absorbtion, not unlike contemplative prayer or hesychasm in Christianity. God is conceived of as a personal being. The physical exercises are about releasing negative karma or energy, which in some school of Sramanism were conceived of as psychophysical (and there are correlates in modern psychotherapy as well, with some people suffering from somataform disorders manifesting physical symptoms such as bruises or wounds, similar to the stigmata of Roman Catholicism).

In contrast, Buddhism is not theistic and denies the existence of a soul. There is no personal Creator as there was in classical yoga. Buddhists also typically make much less use of body postures and breathing techniques.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do some of you think yoga has its roots in Buddhism? It pre-dates Buddhism and has been embraced by several religions. It is a tool.

That being said, there can also be an underlying metaphysics one can buy into. But it is by no means required in order to enjoy the benefits of hatha stretches.
Well going back further than Buddhism, did those roots or faiths acknowledge a Creator God?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well going back further than Buddhism, did those roots or faiths acknowledge a Creator God?

For them it was Brahma I think. I am not very interested in Indian deities.

Recall though that Paul wrote to the Romans Chapter 2: 14
"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them."

Prior to the time of Jesus, in another culture, even another religion, God informs with law written in the heart guiding conscience. And if one explores the 8 limbs of yoga one finds a moral code shared by Christians, Jews and all people seeking good:

1. Ahimsa : Nonviolence, non-harming other living beings
  2. Satya : truthfulness, non-falsehood
  3. Asteya : non-stealing
  4. Brahmacharya : chastity, marital fidelity or sexual restraint
  5. Aparigraha : non-avarice, non-possessiveness
  6. Shaucha : purity, clearness of mind, speech and body
  7. Santosha : contentment, acceptance of others, acceptance of one's circumstances as they are in order to get past or change them, optimism for self
  8. Tapas: persistence, perseverance, austerity, asceticism, self-discipline
  9. Svadhyaya: study of Vedas (see Sabda in epistemology section), study of self, self-reflection, introspection of self's thoughts, speeches and actions
  10. Ishvarapranidhana : contemplation of the Ishvara (God/Supreme Being, Brahman, True Self, Unchanging Reality)

Upvote 0

Pepper77

By grace through faith
Aug 1, 2014
Venice FL
✟28,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. Yoga, as we know it typically in the West, is not descended from Buddhism. The only thing they have in common is they both come from the Indian Sramana traditions (sramana means "striver", they were those who were seeking liberation from suffering, dissatsified with the idea that life merely must repeat itself over and over).

The metaphysics of Pantajali's Yoga Sutra actually is closer to medieval western dualism and distinguishes between Ishvara (the Lord, Creator God) and the soul and between spirit and matter. The goal is union with God through meditative absorbtion, not unlike contemplative prayer or hesychasm in Christianity. God is conceived of as a personal being. The physical exercises are about releasing negative karma or energy, which in some school of Sramanism were conceived of as psychophysical (and there are correlates in modern psychotherapy as well, with some people suffering from somataform disorders manifesting physical symptoms such as bruises or wounds, similar to the stigmata of Roman Catholicism).

In contrast, Buddhism is not theistic and denies the existence of a soul. There is no personal Creator as there was in classical yoga. Buddhists also typically make much less use of body postures and breathing techniques.

Thank you for that. Romans is a great book for understanding spiritual truths. Man has always tried to be righteous through his own efforts, which of course always falls short. Hence the sacrifice of Christ to bring that about, righteousness through faith in the righteous one. I believe Romans 1:19-20 gives evidence that God has placed in man a knowledge of Himself and in creation also. If he does not believe or acknowledge God as he is revealed to him he has no excuse. God has revealed Himself, but too many want to be their own God.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for that. Romans is a great book for understanding spiritual truths. Man has always tried to be righteous through his own efforts, which of course always falls short.

That was part of a polemic of Paul in a specific cultural context, given for pastoral reasons to a religious community that was at war with itself. And in truth, what you are emphasizing is a distillation of Paul's thought that only really took shape in the 16th century in Europe, ignoring the broader themes in Paul's letters in favor of a simple message of otherworldly salvation through faith alone. It might well be useful, as there is a potential transformative power in entrusting oneself to a higher power, but I don't think that is going to resonate with everyone. And when that type of religion is used to justify hatred, prejudice, and ill-will, I don't see how it can be salvific in the fullest sense of the word.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This discussion got me looking at the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali again reminding me that they are about mental hygiene more than anything else. We identify with our thoughts which distract us from our true nature. I cant help but interpret that as our true nature in Christ.

Upvote 0