US-Republican
Here's my story...

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

May I... by His Holy Spirit.... grow in the awareness of and trust in HIS grace and mercy, HIS love and forgiveness. For one even as I. Even as I.

And may I... by His Holy Spirit.... grow in my reflection of His love and expressions of my gratitude, that people may see Him and Him alone.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, you place yourself where ever you want, which Gospel did you recieve and what are you responsible for in the measure of grace He gave to you?

Every man will give an account for the grace he was given to know God.
I'm not your judge, Christ will be. You'll need to answer to Him, not me.

In other words, every Reformed Christian in here now knows "the Gospel as it was once given" since Rightglory has said it. Thus, every Reformed Christian in here has been given the measure of grace that they needed and have chosen to remain outside the Church, the Body of Christ.

I guess that constitutes a preliminary hearing of sorts in which evert Reformed Christian is supposed to get a taste of what is coming to them.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
billybtennessee,

since you state that a canonized scripture existed prior to 400 AD, where is your historical evidence that it did?

Again, if you close your eyes then that might be true. But there are at least four or five references to Tradition in I and II Timothy alone. All your examples are not even part of EO, so they are irrelevant.

Does it make a difference which Jesus you believe in? Universalist believe in Jesus, so do Unitarians, so do Jehovah Witnesses. Even Mormons believe in Jesus.

Already did, it was quoted throughout the NT, and Peter recognized Pauls writings as scripture, gave the verses. 2nd Peter 3:15,16. And also thousands of manuscripts available from previous copies in that fourth century referred to so often. Yes, scripture is dated before the first century church, all from Jewish scribes. And the copies made of NT scripture throughout those first few centuries, do you deny?

As for the examples given, they are written about and explained on the EO websites, and writers representing, to deny they are is pointless. And history will also confirm. Whose eyes?

You left out a VERY key point I made in the previous comment, which clearly shows what I wrote to be very different from the other sects teachings that you mentioned. It is Jesus Christ, ALONE, whom we abide in, and are saved through, whatever sect you identify with, and if one is not saved through Jesus Christ alone, then it is they who believe in a different Jesus. "I am the way, the Truth, and the Life" Jesus said. "No man comes to the Father, but by Me", He also said.

The sects, of whatever names, who believe in Jesus differently than scripture declares, all will add a form of AND. Jesus Christ, and. And some of those are rituals. Or a method whereby sins are forgiven apart from Jesus Christ, such as indulgences, and such rituals as this. It is only through Jesus Christ any will be saved and forgiven. Period.

Reactions: AndOne
Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, if no Christian history existed prior to Calvinims then all you need to deal with is the opinions of man. You cannot prove Calvinism to an Arminian as He to you. You have failed for 500 years and will never accomplish it.

Either you have misunderstood what I said or you are purposely trying to twist my words. Did I say that no Christian history existed before Calvinism? Ah no - that's not what I said at all. I'm not even talking about Calvinism for crying out loud - I'm talking about the authority of scritpure!

And regarding your crack about proving calvinism to an arminian - I'm willing to bet more than half the calvinists on this board are prior arminians.

You have failed in the past to even give any evidence that Scripture has authority. If that authority means that man can interpret it to his own best guess, then you have succeeded. But if authority means anything, it should at least be uniform and consistant. That you have failed to show.

There will be just more opinions which will make scripture null and void. No one will have the slightest idea what it really means, just their egoistic intellectual best guess interpretation.

As I've said already - why continue this? I want to discuss scripture - not this traditional nonsense. Prove your points from scripture or start your own thread about the supposed authority of the traditions of the EOC. Haven't you derailed this thread enough already?

but you have failed to show that there are any teachings contrary to scripture. You have shown many contrary to Calvinism, but Calvinism is a modern 16th century interloper.

Just what is your beef with calvinism anyway? Why is that you only ever attack calvinism on these boards. In fact you rarely specifically talk about the specific teachings of your own church. I don't get it.

My take on you is that you were once reformed and for some reason are now EOC and you must somehow justify to yourself that you have made the right decision. Seriously - your tirades against calvinism appear to me to be an effort to prove to yourself that you are right.

a Muslim can quote scripture. What does it mean to you and does it align with the meaning of scripure from the beginning. Does it have any historical existance anywere other than in your mind?

a muslim would never quote scripture using it as his authority. To do so is blasphemy in his/her religion.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I've said already - why continue this? I want to discuss scripture - not this traditional nonsense. Prove your points from scripture or start your own thread about the supposed authority of the traditions of the EOC. Haven't you derailed this thread enough already?

Just what is your beef with calvinism anyway? Why is that you only ever attack calvinism on these boards. In fact you rarely specifically talk about the specific teachings of your own church. I don't get it.

Amen!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

CaliforniaJosiah,

Yes - it does seem that, rarely, "tradition" is spoken of in the New Testament, and occasionally, in a positive way. But we are never told what the content of which was, and (a point Orthodox, Catholics and Mormons seem entirely unaware of), there is NO mention (positive or negative) of Orthodox or Catholic or Mormon Tradition. As apostolic or good or authoritative or normative or..... anything at all.

More positive than negative. The Church has told us what the content was in that Oral Tradition. It seems only you are unaware of the volumes that have been written, recorded about what the early Church believed, how they believed and practiced the Christianity as given to the Apostles.

Your assumption must be that the Apostles did not ever teach anything, that no one was available that believed anything, so nothing was ever recorded giving us the details that are not in scripture. You also assume that they Holy Spirit cannot keep His word, that He gave All Truth and would preserve that Truth within His Church, the Body of Christ.

ONe would also need to assume that you have never read Church History. How could you miss such obvious evidence.

If one actually rationalizes it away one can deny it and then lift up any other kind of view that comes along. But unfortunate for your view, there is 1500 years of history, consistant, unchanging history regarding that Tradition that was given from which the Scriptures were taken.

It seems quite ironic to me that you deny everything, including Tradition, that actually gave you the scriptures in the first place. A Church you deny existed. I would assume then that the scriptures could just as well be from Plato or some other historical figure and from a pagen cult. Doesn't sound as if you believe in anything that could be called Christian. You even deny the work and power of the Holy Spirit. What else can one draw from your comments.

If Paul spoke of it, it does exist and would have been preserved by the Holy Spirit since it is his Gospel.

Your response...

Entirely baseless.
No one knows what "it" was.
There NO promise that everything mentioned will be preserved
There's NO mention that such was Paul's "gospel."
Everything in your sentence is entirely moot and unfounded.

Since you think scripture is authoritative, take a look at II Thess 2:15, Then to: I Tim 1:3-4, I Tim 4:13-16, I Tim 6:20, II Tim 1:6, II Tim 1:13-14, II Tim 2:1-2, II Tim 3:10,
Then the giving of All Truth, John 16:13-15, Presering the Body which was entrusted the Gospel Matt 16:18. Then the unity of the Church, Eph 2:19-21,

We have 2000 years of consistantly teaching, preaching, believing, practicing the very same faith.

Of course it would be fitting if it was actually Paul's gospel, then you would have reason to accept Calvinism, I would imagine. One man cannot be accepted as having any truth, must go to scripture so that each can develop their own truth. It is moot and unfounded if one believes Calvin, but if one wants the Gospel of Christ it is in scripture. It is after all, plain and simple to understand.

Can you prove that the EOC is not that Tradition?
Your response...

1. I don't have to, you must prove that it is. I'm NOT saying that the infallibility and supremacy of the Roman Bishop was taught by all 13-14 Apostles in a dogma the Holy Spirit chose not to include in Scripture because I'm not saying that it was. YOU are the one saying what the EOC alone says and does and teaches was taught by the 13-14 Apostles and has ever since. What you've not done (or even attempted to do) is substantiate that, you just keep repeating it as if something said is ergo dogmatic fact.
Why not, you made the assertion that it does not exist. I'm assuming now that it does not, so what does exist? What existed before Calvin? Can you find any reformed theology in the 1500 years before Calvin?

Do you believe Christianity existed before Calvin? If so, what did it believe? Is there any record of Christianity?

But I'm not asking for Roman Catholic tradition. I asking about the Tradition that the Holy Spirit gave to the Apostles. YOu have not read about the Councils, regarding the Trinity, the Incarnation, have you not known that the Church has always been Liturgical, you can read those Liturgies because it teaches the heart of Christianity. You have never read the Didache explaining the meaning, mode and form of baptism or Eucharist?

Have you deprived yourself of all historical record of Christianity? Instead of making these assertions you aught to do a little study of historical Christianity. Maybe study the history of the Church in Jerusalem, Church of the Holy Sepulchre. It has been there since Pentacost and only three structures during that time and still teaching the very same thing as the Apostles. I believe you can go on the internet and in each communion find the continuous list of all bishops of that communion, for Jeruselem it would start at Pentacost and James was the first bishop there. Scripture even lists him. Peter also founded the Church at Antioch. Still in existance today with the same Gospel.

Read some of the very early Church Fathers, such as Iraneous, Justin the Martyr, St Ignatius, Read all the homilies of St Chrysostum on all of the NT practically.

I can list all the sources every time I make a comment, but would you actually read them all? It is much better to be a Berean and check for yourself what the Apostles taught, what was recorded from the early Church to the present and has been consistantly the same for 2000 years. There are some good web sites that give a lot of sources.

Impossible for you (or any one else) to do since no one knows what "Tradition" was - it is a phantom. But have a go at it. Document the verbatim content of EXACTLY any dogmas that Paul, Timothy and Silas told to the Thessalonians that the Holy Spirit caused to not be recorded anywhere in His Scripture. Once you document the verbatim content of that, we can check the current teachings/practices of the EOC and see if they are in exact conformity.

The EOC is that Church, the Church that Christ founded. If you really doubt that just goggle the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Find the list of all the Bishops from James to the present day. Then tell me that the Church did not exist at Pentacost. Some of the dogmas would be the Trinity, INcarnation, the use of the Liturgy, the meaning and use of the Eucharist, of baptism, confession, definition of the Church, for starters.

You won't find eternal security however. You will not find predestination either, or total depravity of man. It takes 1500 years for these to show up in Calvinism.

Of course the largest denial you have made is that the Holy Spirit is incapable of not just giving the Gospel to the Apostles, but then cannot preserve that Gospel, nor His Church. I would wonder why you even believe in the scriptures. They are all the result of that Tradition that was given.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Tzaousios,

In other words, every Reformed Christian in here now knows "the Gospel as it was once given" since Rightglory has said it. Thus, every Reformed Christian in here has been given the measure of grace that they needed and have chosen to remain outside the Church, the Body of Christ.

I guess that constitutes a preliminary hearing of sorts in which evert Reformed Christian is supposed to get a taste of what is coming to them.

I thought that you believed scripture is authoritative? Can I assume that you read it? If so, did you read Jude 3-4. It is not me, but Christ, the Holy Spirit through Jude and the other Apostles that have so stated. And I thought you actually read the scriptures.

But if the shoe fits, maybe you aught to put it on.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

billybtennessee,

Already did, it was quoted throughout the NT, and Peter recognized Pauls writings as scripture, gave the verses. 2nd Peter 3:15,16. And also thousands of manuscripts available from previous copies in that fourth century referred to so often. Yes, scripture is dated before the first century church, all from Jewish scribes. And the copies made of NT scripture throughout those first few centuries, do you deny?

No, but that is not the issue. The issue is that they did not have the Bible, the canonized scriptures.

It is impossible to hold to a sola scriptura when there was no canonized scripture to hold to. They held the Tradition with the use of the scriptures. Scriptures cannot be separted from that Tradition for which they were taken.

The Church has never set scriptures apart from the content that was given to the Apostles, taught, believed, practiced all before any ink found paper. Do you really believe the Bible came without content. Did the Apostles say in any letter of the Gospels that there was a Bible they were using outside of the NT?

Which they used the Septuigent as well as the deutercononicals.

You left out a VERY key point I made in the previous comment, which clearly shows what I wrote to be very different from the other sects teachings that you mentioned. It is Jesus Christ, ALONE, whom we abide in, and are saved through, whatever sect you identify with, and if one is not saved through Jesus Christ alone, then it is they who believe in a different Jesus. "I am the way, the Truth, and the Life" Jesus said. "No man comes to the Father, but by Me", He also said.

Yes, so which Jesus do you believe in? The one that He reveals to us through the work of the Holy Spirit, or the one men devise through their own teachings?

he sects, of whatever names, who believe in Jesus differently than scripture declares, all will add a form of AND. Jesus Christ, and. And some of those are rituals. Or a method whereby sins are forgiven apart from Jesus Christ, such as indulgences, and such rituals as this. It is only through Jesus Christ any will be saved and forgiven. Period.

mentioning the RCC just adds to your incorrect understanding of the Gospel in the first place. They and all protestants have added or subtracted mightily to scripture. But then that is the nature of man, wants his gospel to stand, wants his own way, wants to elevate his ego, pride and even arrogance that he can do much better than the Holy Spirit. Men in 1517 and the other reformers were not different than Arius, Nestorius, Origen and many others who all trued to impose their particular innovative interpretations as the Gospel of Christ. Everyone has failed, everyone will fail in the future.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought that you believed scripture is authoritative? Can I assume that you read it? If so, did you read Jude 3-4. It is not me, but Christ, the Holy Spirit through Jude and the other Apostles that have so stated. And I thought you actually read the scriptures.

But if the shoe fits, maybe you aught to put it on.

I know very well that it is Christ speaking through the Apostles. However, it is not what you are doing here.

Although I know that my point wasn't lost on you, let me make it clear. You have set up your preliminary hearing in which you have judged Reformed Christians.

You have tried to obfuscate it with your usual rhetoric and bloviations so as not to seem "judgmental." However, it has been shown that you have pronounced your (pre)verdict on the baptism and ultimately the salvation of all of your challengers.

Reformed Christians have not been baptised in the Church, the Body of Christ. They are no better than Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or even Muslims. In your estimation, which is synonymous with the Tradition that you say is making the judgment, Reformed Christians are outside of the Church and in danger of hellfire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Josiah said:
Yes - it does seem that, rarely, "tradition" is spoken of in the New Testament, and occasionally, in a positive way.

But we are never told what the content of which was, and (a point Orthodox, Catholics and Mormons seem entirely unaware of), there is NO mention (positive or negative) of Orthodox or Catholic or Mormon Tradition. As apostolic or good or authoritative or normative or..... anything at all.

The Church has told us what the content was in that Oral Tradition

1. The Oriental Orthodox Church? The Eastern Orthodox Church? The Roman Catholic Church? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? WHICH church (because they all have different "tradition")

2. Which denomination was there in Thessalonika to know what dogmas Paul, Timothy and Silas taught that the Holy Spirit chose to not relate to us in Scripture?

3. Please copy and paste to this thread the entire, verbatum content of what Paul, Timothy and Silas taught that the Holy Spirit chose to not relate to us in Scripture.

It seems only you are unaware of the volumes that have been written, recorded about what the early Church believed, how they believed and practiced the Christianity as given to the Apostles.

Actually, I'm quite aware of the snippets that various denominations choose from the documents they choose by the authors they choose - and then appoint self as the sole "interpreter of such" and how they "interpret" those cherrypicked snippets to agree with self, according to self. But I'm not aware of "volumes" that have been written to convey specifically what Paul, Timothy and Silas told to the Thessalonians specifically as dogmas that the Holy Spirit chose not to relate to us in Scripture.

Your assumption must be that the Apostles did not ever teach anything

All the assumptions are by you.
It's just you've done NOTHING to substantiate ANY of it.

You also assume that they Holy Spirit cannot keep His word

All the assumptions are by you.

I only note that the Holy Spirit promised or authorized NOTHING concerning EOC Tradition or the EOC denomination. Yes, He does keep His word, it's just that He never promised to keep yours. Or those of the EOC.

Yes, you do seem to entirely confuse a promise to inerrantly lead with some idea of one being an infallible follower, the promise to inerrantly teach with some idea that ergo one who claims that one is is therefore an infallible student. I have NO IDEA where you developed this complete confusion - certainly not from Scripture.

Josiah said:
Entirely baseless.

No one knows what "it" was.

There NO promise that everything mentioned will be preserved

There's NO mention that such was Paul's "gospel."

Everything in your sentence is entirely moot and unfounded.

Since you think scripture is authoritative, take a look at II Thess 2:15, Then to: I Tim 1:3-4, I Tim 4:13-16, I Tim 6:20, II Tim 1:6, II Tim 1:13-14, II Tim 2:1-2, II Tim 3:10,

Yup. NO mention of EOC Tradition. NO mention of Paul teaching dogmas that the Holy Spirit would keep out of Scripture and instead tell a denomination centuries in the future.

And nothing about Paul having a Gospel different than any other.

And nothing that Paul, Timothy and Silas in that "tradition" gave a Gospel contained nowhere in Scripture because the Holy Spirit will chose to not relate it to us.

Can you prove that the EOC is not that Tradition?
Your response...

1. I don't have to, you must prove that it is. I'm NOT saying that the infallibility and supremacy of the Roman Bishop was taught by all 13-14 Apostles in a dogma the Holy Spirit chose not to include in Scripture because I'm not saying that it was. YOU are the one saying what the EOC alone says and does and teaches was taught by the 13-14 Apostles and has ever since. What you've not done (or even attempted to do) is substantiate that, you just keep repeating it as if something said is ergo dogmatic fact.

Why not, you made the assertion that it does not exist.[/quote]

All the assumptions are yours.

Yes, the "burden of proof" is yours.

Josiah said:

Impossible for you (or any one else) to do since no one knows what "Tradition" was - it is a phantom. But have a go at it. Document the verbatim content of EXACTLY any dogmas that Paul, Timothy and Silas told to the Thessalonians that the Holy Spirit caused to not be recorded anywhere in His Scripture. Once you document the verbatim content of that, we can check the current teachings/practices of the EOC and see if they are in exact conformity.

The EOC is that Church, the Church that Christ founded.

1. I notice you evaded the point. And request.

2. ENTIRELY unfounded. And moot to anything I posted.

3. Yes, circles take you full circle because that's what they do, but it signifies nothing.

Some of the dogmas would be the Trinity, INcarnation, the use of the Liturgy, the meaning and use of the Eucharist, of baptism, confession, definition of the Church, for starters.

Okay. Document for me WHEN, WHERE and by WHICH Apostle(s) each of those dogmas, as currently understood by your denomination, taught exactly such? Just copy/paste them, document the date of the statement, and post it here. For each of those.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Behe's Boy,

Obviously, if no Christian history existed prior to Calvinims then all you need to deal with is the opinions of man. You cannot prove Calvinism to an Arminian as He to you. You have failed for 500 years and will never accomplish it.

Your response....

Either you have misunderstood what I said or you are purposely trying to twist my words. Did I say that no Christian history existed before Calvinism? Ah no - that's not what I said at all. I'm not even talking about Calvinism for crying out loud - I'm talking about the authority of scritpure!
so you are as I thought.

If so, take it to its logical conclusion. I asked you if Christianity existed prior to Calvin. If it did and they used scripture as you do, the plain, simple reading of it, then what did historical Christianity believe with scripture as authoritative? They must have believed something?

Now the only problem you have which is correct of all those interpretations. What does the Bible actually say? Yours or one of the hundreds of others that would have developed long before Calvin.

And regarding your crack about proving calvinism to an arminian - I'm willing to bet more than half the calvinists on this board are prior arminians.

that doesn't help much, They now cannot refute Calvinism with any authority. All you have is an opinion of what it means. You need to realize that the competition to your authority of scripture, the plain reading, is not working very well.

If one disagreed with Calvinism, Zwingly went on his own, then knox disagreed with Calvin, Wesley disagreed and founded his own. And I can go on and on. All of them are using scripture as their authority, as do Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and many others.

If scripture has authority who is actually using the authority. Someone has it incorrect unless you also believe that the gospel is a smorgasborg of choices and it matters not really what they believe as long as the Bible was used as a source?

Of course them Muslims fall right in. Mohammend used examples from the Assyrian Christians where he lived and grew up. He respected the Book people as he called them and incorporated some of scripture into the Koran. Amazing how men use scripture?

Eliminate the Muslins, but all the others also claim the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, as do you. Which HOly Spirit are you talking about? Which is giving the ONCE given Gospel of JUde 3?

I don't know, but you tell me?

so you do, and I asked you to do so but also show that Christianity existed prior to Calvin and what did they believe? If they used scripture as authoritative as you, then we should have some evidence over 1500 years of the authority of scripture. I am assuming you believe that the scriptures also existed prior to Calvin? Were there any Christians that existed prior to Calvin?

Would any of them report, state, explain what they believed?

I'm not the one who derailed it. I'm simply answering your questions.

First, unfortunately, it has a very systematic, organized view. It is easy to refute it from scripture as well as from the historical record of Christianity. Arminians are not as organized, and when Arminius refuted Calvin at Dordt, on the five points which was from scripture, was actually correct regarding Calvinism. They also have far more variations than Calvinism. In other words more admixture of correct and incorrect based on scripture as it historically has been understood, and yes, by the EOC which has existed from the beginning.

You need to understand, Calvinism is so well organized and based on one premise, Predestination which is all that needs to be refuted, which anyone can show has never existed in any Church prior to Calvin, EOC, OOC and RCC. Thus if that is not true, the five points are not true because they are based on the false premise of predestination. Some Calvinist will deny this, but if you actually deny any point of Calvin'S (Dorht's) TULIP, you have denied all the rest as viable. Calvin built a house of cards that can easily be refuted and can clearly be shown to be historically untenable as being scriptural in any sense of the word.

Outside of that all protestants have incorporated Anselms satisfaction theory for the definition of atonement, whether limited or unlimited. They all have adopted the RCC understanding of Original Sin which was not a teaching of the early Church either. It was first mentioned by Augustine, but accepted by the RCC at the Council of Trent.

I don't need to go any further than the Incarnation to refute all of Calvinism. Predestination as understood by Calvin and most Calvinists is diametrically opposed to the historical understanding of the Incarnation. This includes election as understood by Calvinists as well.

My take on you is that you were once reformed and for some reason are now EOC and you must somehow justify to yourself that you have made the right decision. Seriously - your tirades against calvinism appear to me to be an effort to prove to yourself that you are right.

I was actually both, Calvinist and Arminian. But the issue is the Gospel of Christ. It has nothing to do with me in particular. Yes, I do believe that the EOC is that Church that Christ founded. It has that once given Gospel and has been preserved. It took me four years of study to confirm that belief. It is why so many protestants are converting as well as Catholics, especially the last 50 years since Vatican II.

The reason I even began to search 14 years ago, was that I could no longer believe all the nonsense, all the multiple versions of the Gospel that I was being exposed to in a single adult Bible class. A class that had changed drastically over the 40 years that I either attended or led. If the Bible was true, and it stated as Jude 3 states there is one Gospel given in the beginning, and if Christ promised to preserve a church and the gospel were was it. If I had it, was it the same as I held. In the cross of understanding both Calvinism and Arminianism, I found I did not believe a thing that was held by the early Church as I followed it through history. What I did find was a very constant and consistant faith that can be traced through history from the beginning to the present in the EOC.

I am just preaching the gospel as he commanded. I cannot deceive others in thinking that the morass known as protestantism is the Gospel of Truth. I would be denying Christ if I acknowledged that any false teaching is tolerated since it was not in the years before protestantism. That may sound harsh, it was to me as well many years ago. This forum is for Christians and discussion of soteriology. I have simply put forth the Truth as I see and believe it.

One thing that escapes me is that I never taught either Calvinism or Arminianism as the Truth. I had instinctively known that it might not be the whole unadulterated Truth. I also notice that none on these forums do either. It is one happy family of toleration of all views. If you really believed you believed the Truth, you should teach, explain it as such. I don't think that will ever happen for a protestant. In spite of what you say, you have no authority to make the claim with so many doing the very same thing as you are doing with scripture. It is simply one opinion against another.

And you have between the Calvinist and Arminians opposite poles of interpretation.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Tradition..historical..what the EOC says..ad infinitum. Wrong, wrong and wrong, search the Word for answers, not man made doctrine.
and which man-made doctrine do you believe?

Calvin?
Arminius?
Zwingly?
Wesley?
how about your own?
Some other name?

Could you also name any man of EOC that changed the Gospel, when He changed it and what specifically did he change?

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Tzaousios,

I know very well that it is Christ speaking through the Apostles. However, it is not what you are doing here.

Although I know that my point wasn't lost on you, let me make it clear. You have set up your preliminary hearing in which you have judged

REally, can you quote an Apostle or a Church Father that stated it differently that all protestants are included in the Body of Christ, as well a RCC, the Arians, Nestorians, including the following that call themselves Christian, Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Universalists, Unitarians, Church of Scientology. They all use the Bible, some have been honest that they have actually added to scripture. What about Hymeneaus who Paul excommuicated. Christ gave that authority to the Church. He is the judge, not me.

You need to be your own judge. If the shoe fits, put it on.

You have tried to obfuscate it with your usual rhetoric and bloviations so as not to seem "judgmental." However, it has been shown that you have pronounced your (pre)verdict on the baptism and ultimately the salvation of all of your challengers.

that was already done by the Church almost 450 years ago. Did you not read that in your history lessions? Even Patriarch Jeremiah II denied the blessing of the Lutherans in trying to get the Church to accept Luthers theology.

Why would the Church evict the false teachers of the previous 1500 years which were all innovations of single men, and not those of Calvin or Luther which came 1500 years after the original Gospel was given.

Reformed Christians have not been baptised in the Church, the Body of Christ. They are no better than Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or even Muslims. In your estimation, which is synonymous with the Tradition that you say is making the judgment, Reformed Christians are outside of the Church and in danger of hellfire.

no one is forcing you to believe in Christ or His Gospel as He gave it and has entrusted it to the Church, His Church. There have been many who have rejected it. Why should that bother you so much?

Maybe you have not been predestined anyway. For surely you could fall away and be those that lived a christian life no different than any other christian, but was not ever really a christian, a true christian, prdestined to be saved.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
REally, can you quote an Apostle or a Church Father that stated it differently that all protestants are included in the Body of Christ, as well a RCC, the Arians, Nestorians, including the following that call themselves Christian, Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Universalists, Unitarians, Church of Scientology.

More rhetorical bloviation. Although this time in list form. Add these heretics and schismatics to the group that is being compared to Reformed Christians.

Rightglory said:
Christ gave that authority to the Church. He is the judge, not me.

No, you are making a judgment before Christ, only clothing it with the rhetoric of "tradition" and "if the shoe fits." Congratulate yourself, you have done Christ's work for him. Does that earn you an ascetic Christian philosopher's throne or Christ's own throne?

Rightglory said:
that was already done by the Church almost 450 years ago.

Thank you for being open with the fact that you have acted as the mouthpiece here for prejudging Reformed Christians as having an invalid baptism, heretical beliefs, and finally no salvation outside the Church. You are complicit.

Rightglory said:
Why would the Church evict the false teachers of the previous 1500 years which were all innovations of single men, and not those of Calvin or Luther which came 1500 years after the original Gospel was given.

Further prejudgment of Reformed Christians as heretics, false teachers, anathematized, and in danger of hellfire. Clothed in the rhetoric of "after the original Gospel was given."

Rightglory said:
no one is forcing you to believe in Christ or His Gospel as He gave it and has entrusted it to the Church, His Church. There have been many who have rejected it. Why should that bother you so much?

Translation: Reformed Christians do not believe the Gospel, have rejected it, are outside the Church, and therefore in danger of hellfire.

Rightglory said:
Maybe you have not been predestined anyway. For surely you could fall away and be those that lived a christian life no different than any other christian, but was not ever really a christian, a true christian, prdestined to be saved.

Garbled nonsense that was designed to mock and denigrate. Are your ex-Protestant sour grapes making it so that you cannot type correctly for all the rage?

Have you gotten around to reading Maximos and Makarios of Egypt? One would not want to think that you have only read Athanasius and Irenaeus because they aid you in your monolithic apologetic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Rightglory

CaliforniaJosiah,

1. The Oriental Orthodox Church? The Eastern Orthodox Church? The Roman Catholic Church? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? WHICH church (because they all have different "tradition")

Yes, but then you should be a Berean to check out their claims. You even have the web to help you. When I did it the web was barely in existance. You got it really easy. YOu were given a rational mind, follow the Truth and don't follow where man has changed that Gospel.

2. Which denomination was there in Thessalonika to know what dogmas Paul, Timothy and Silas taught that the Holy Spirit chose to not relate to us in Scripture?
that is the point I have been making for this whole thread, there were no denominations let alone the reformed view embodied in several denominations.

All that existed was the Body of Christ, the Church that Christ founded at Pentacost. There was always ONLY one Church that has existed from the beginning. One group has rejoined, the only other group that left and has not returned is the RCC. What else is there?

Does not your scriptures state that All Truth was given to the Apostles, that Christ would not leave His Church as orphans and the gates of hell will not prevail against His Church. Do you actually believe what the scriptures say, of just believe in the Bible.

3. Please copy and paste to this thread the entire, verbatum content of what Paul, Timothy and Silas taught that the Holy Spirit chose to not relate to us in Scripture.
It would break the server.

[/quote] Actually, I'm quite aware of the snippets that various denominations choose from the documents they choose by the authors they choose - and then appoint self as the sole "interpreter of such" and how they "interpret" those cherrypicked snippets to agree with self, according to self. But I'm not aware of "volumes" that have been written to convey specifically what Paul, Timothy and Silas told to the Thessalonians specifically as dogmas that the Holy Spirit chose not to relate to us in Scripture. [/quote]

for starters, and I believe they are all on the web, but the whole of the Apostolic Fathers, the Patristic ones, and the Post Nicene Fathers. I think there are some 80 volumes to the whole set. When you get those done, let me know and I can give you another 100 or many more of texts that have been recorded over the last 1600 years.

Your assumption must be that the Apostles did not ever teach anything
Your response...

It's just you've done NOTHING to substantiate ANY of it.

Maybe not to you, but to many that are posting I have given them a lot of evidence before, several times, but probably never actually checked them out. You can start with the evidence I just listed.

I only note that the Holy Spirit promised or authorized NOTHING concerning EOC Tradition or the EOC denomination. Yes, He does keep His word, it's just that He never promised to keep yours. Or those of the EOC.

which Church did He promise it to if not His Own, and where is that Church, the Church He will not leave an orphan, or the Gospel that He will guard and preserve? Or does Christ make promises that He does not keep. So where is it?
Yup. NO mention of EOC Tradition. NO mention of Paul teaching dogmas that the Holy Spirit would keep out of Scripture and instead tell a denomination centuries in the future.

would that denomionation be yours by chance? If not where is it?
Why not, you made the assertion that it does not exist.
Your response...

All the assumptions are yours.
Yes, the "burden of proof" is yours.

I cannot prove a negative. I can only show that it does exist. But you stated it does not, so where is the Church and the Gospel that Christ established and spoke about, that the Holy Spirit has preserved from then until the end of time?

I notice you evaded the point. And request.

I'm not the one evading. I gave you a couple of more chances to redeem youself in this post.

Some of the dogmas would be the Trinity, INcarnation, the use of the Liturgy, the meaning and use of the Eucharist, of baptism, confession, definition of the Church, for starters.
Okay. Document for me WHEN, WHERE and by WHICH Apostle(s) each of those dogmas, as currently understood by your denomination, taught exactly such? Just copy/paste them, document the date of the statement, and post it here. For each of those.

The scriptures, Pentacost, Matthew, Mark,Luke John, and Paul. I'll save copying the entire Bible, as I assume you have one. If you need the explanation of these, then read the volumes of the Church Fathers for starters.

Upvote 0
R

Rightglory

Tzaousios,

More rhetorical bloviation. Although this time in list form. Add these heretics and schismatics to the group that is being compared to Reformed Christians.

hetrodox is hetrodox and is not Orthodox. Arius was a christian as well as Nestorius, but they were declared heretics too. I cannot change history, just report it. If you have an issue with that, may I suggest you do the same as the three theologians from Ausburg and have a discourse with any Patriarch and see if you can convince them that Calvinism is the doctrine of the early Church.

Christ gave that authority to the Church. He is the judge, not me.
Your response....

No, you are making a judgment before Christ, only clothing it with the rhetoric of "tradition" and "if the shoe fits." Congratulate yourself, you have done Christ's work for him. Does that earn you an ascetic Christian philosopher's throne or Christ's own throne?

I have reported what He has established in His Church. It is Christ as Head, the infallible Body, the Holy Spirit through the consensus of His Body, that has declared all false teachings as heretical. I was not even living when the Church declared protestantism heretical. So live with it. As I said, no one is forcing you to accept the Churches decisions. You are free to believe, though as a predestinarian, that might not be true, anything you wish. Man has been doing that since time immemorial. Why would it be any different for you.

that was already done by the Church almost 450 years ago.
YOur response.....

Thank you for being open with the fact that you have acted as the mouthpiece here for prejudging Reformed Christians as having an invalid baptism, heretical beliefs, and finally no salvation outside the Church. You are complicit.

as I stated, if the shoe fits put it on. You don't like it, take it up with a Patriarch.
YOur response....

Further prejudgment of Reformed Christians as heretics, false teachers, anathematized, and in danger of hellfire. Clothed in the rhetoric of "after the original Gospel was given."

you seemed shocked for a person who bragged about how much history you understood about the Church, the EOC in particular and you didn't know that part of history?

Translation: Reformed Christians do not believe the Gospel, have rejected it, are outside the Church, and therefore in danger of hellfire.
Do you need a definition of heretical?

Also From The Acts and Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem, subtitled "Against the Calvinists, Held in the Year 1672 Under Dositheus, Patriarch of Jerusalem" (London: Thomas Baker, 1899), translated and with notes by J.N.W.B Robertson shows the canons describing the heresies of Cyril Lukar who was a Patriarch of Constantinople. This constituted heresy for the Church. This was false teaching within the Church and would harm the Body. OUtside of the Church these teachings are not heretical as long as they do not harm the Body. That is the definition of heretical. It must be against the teachings of a group, this case the Church.

These declarations are for the Orthodox not for the Heterodox. So you can continue to believe as you do. The Church will not object. No one will prevent you from believing as you do.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hetrodox is hetrodox and is not Orthodox. Arius was a christian as well as Nestorius, but they were declared heretics too. I cannot change history, just report it.

Here, as the representative of Orthodoxy, you have declared Reformed Christians to be heretics and anathematized on par with Arius and Nestorius. You are complicit.

Rightglory said:
If you have an issue with that, may I suggest you do the same as the three theologians from Ausburg and have a discourse with any Patriarch and see if you can convince them that Calvinism is the doctrine of the early Church.

Rhetorical smokescreen to disguise the gravity of what you have charged in the line before.

Rightglory said:
I have reported what He has established in His Church. It is Christ as Head, the infallible Body, the Holy Spirit through the consensus of His Body, that has declared all false teachings as heretical. I was not even living when the Church declared protestantism heretical.

Reiteration of the previous condemnations under the guise of "just reporting."

Rightglory said:
Man has been doing that since time immemorial. Why would it be any different for you.

Here you single me out personally as a heretic, anathematized, and in danger of hellfire, with my baptism being invalid because it was not performed within the Church, the Body of Christ.

Rightglory said:
you seemed shocked for a person who bragged about how much history you understood about the Church, the EOC in particular and you didn't know that part of history?

Brag? Why do you mock me? Might as well add that to the list. Your ex-Protestant sour grapes are spewing their putrid pulp in all directions.

Rightglory said:
Do you need a definition of heretical?

Despite your tossing out a definition, which is really just more rhetorical bloviation, Reformed Christians are heretics, are anathematized, and are in danger of hellfire as the primary targets of your monocausal apologetic. Whatever happened on this account 500 years ago matters not; it is what has been happening during your tenure here in Soteriology.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
billybtennessee,

Yes, so which Jesus do you believe in? The one that He reveals to us through the work of the Holy Spirit, or the one men devise through their own teachings?

mentioning the RCC just adds to your incorrect understanding of the Gospel in the first place. They and all protestants have added or subtracted mightily to scripture.

The RCC is not the only one who teaches the practice of indulgences. So does EO, according to their own websites, and others who are EO.

The Jesus I believe in, is the CHRIST, the Jesus Christ we will all give account to. The Jesus Christ who went to the cross, was crucified, buried, and was raised from the dead, the third day. The Jesus Christ who is exalted in the heavens, now, interceding on our behalf, and soon coming again, as He promised. The blood that He alone shed, for our redemption, cleanses from sin. The Holy Spirit dwells within and testifies of Him, glorifies Him, and empowers those who believe in Him, and abide in Him, this is the Jesus Christ you ask me about. You obviously do not believe that I believe in Him. I am sorry to read that from you. The body of Christ, His church, is larger than the EOC, I hope you come to see that. You also deny historical facts, and there is no use in telling you again, of this, and other teachings that are taught of EO, which are not scriptural. The scripture should guide every teaching, and this is where we will disagree. It is why we have scripture. 2nd Tim. 3:15-17. Any tradition, should be guided by scripture, not the other way around. Peace to you, I am out. And Maranatha.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whatever happened on this account 500 years ago matters not; it is what has been happening during your tenure here in Soteriology.

Here here!

Amen!

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.