Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores." --Luke 16
Downtown Chicago, State Street. Even in the context of one of the largest cities in the world, State Street stands out as a prominent stretch of road, lined with businesses, shoppers, street performers, and beggars. People walk out of expensive stores with perfumes they don't need, coats that cost triple the value of something that would work just as well, walking right past a man who burst out in joy upon receiving a pair of socks & a cheap bar of soap.

I pray I'll never forget this man; I almost didn't notice him at first, as he was just sitting on the sidewalk, bent over a book he was reading, surrounded by hurried people with shopping bags. Yet God drew my eyes, and I'm so happy he did. His little cardboard sign said he only wanted 4 things: Food, soap, socks, and books. The guy literally wasn't even asking for money! Never have I wanted to scream at a mass of people in a hurry on the sidewalk as I did that day; "What are you doing???? This man is literally not even asking for money, but you can't spare 20 seconds of your ******* time to give him a sandwich or a pair of socks!!!" This man was quiet, clearly enjoying his book, and honestly looked peaceful & relaxed, despite the thin hair & terrible teeth of someone who is truly homeless. He was demonstrating quite the contrast to the shoppers, commuters, and tourists of the city, who were stressed & anxious & wasting their time in check-out lines for luxuries they didn't need & will need to replace soon enough, after more yelling & wasted money, while they complain about the greediness of big buisnessmen instead of seeing their own actions in light of someone who is literally starving to death in front of them. This man, this man on State Street, was showing something higher than the busy shoppers or self-centered tourists could ever imagine, and they missed it. God, help me to notice these people, too.

Part of the Earthly journey God's taken me on in the last year has me walking through downtown Chicago on a somewhat-regular basis, where I see an interesting collection of mankind, a human scenery that I just don't experience in the country. As the beggars have become a part of life for me, I started by having extra cash on hand to pass out to them, but my cash is limited, and there's the constant threat of beggars not actually being homeless, or the money just being spent on drugs (though if I were in their situation, I would certainly see the appeal in a bottle of vodka over a loaf of bread). I've started carrying snack bars to hand out (granola bars, peanut bars, anything that transports well & provides some energy), along with religious items, such as pocket Bibles, holy cards, anything that may provide a spiritual boost. I always provide the religious items with a bit of food or a pair of socks or anything else they can use, as a way of showing a sincerity in what I'm doing. I'm not handing out religious things as an empty promise of hope; I actually provide a little of what they need physically, as an introduction to what I want them to gain spiritually. And as I've been providing for them physically & spiritually, God's been taking even better care of me; "Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” --Luke 6

This came to mind several times, but especially with the beggar on State Street who was reading a book: Every day, in Chicago & beyond, the story of the rich man & Lazarus plays out. Every day, beggars lie patiently, waiting for a small act of mercy which could so easily be given, while those who can give even a little just walk past self-righteously. Certainly, not all beggars are respectful & patient; certainly, not all beggars actually need the money. This is a fallen world, and deception & force are unfortunate facts of life that even damage the call for mercy to those who need it. But is it more important to try not to be taken advantage of (putting the priority on yourself), or is it more important to take the risk of helping someone out (putting the priority on the least of His people)?

You may not be able to give much, but you can give a granola bar. You may need money to repair the roof for your own family; give something anyway, trusting that God will provide for you if you provide for others. The rich man & Lazarus may be long dead, but the story is still happening all the time; let's pray for the beggars, pray for the rich, and pray for opportunities to be able to take care of each other as best we can.

quote-charity-is-to-be-measured-not-by-what-one-has-given-away-but-by-what-one-has-left-fulton-j-sheen-87-66-39.jpg

31a293c7f50fe005dd9e906552f06f72.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The poor and lowly will much more readily respond to the Gospel message than the affluent and well to do. What's it profit a poor man if he dies full, shaven and clothed yet goes to hell. We need to share the Gospel with them as well.

Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. (Act 3:3-6)

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We need to do both, share the gospels and take care of the poor's needs.
Sometimes, it is our love for the poor and giving to them, that brings them to finally realize we are different from the world, and they accept the gospels.

Upvote 0