• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  1. BrickUponBrick

BrickUponBrick One Among The Fence

+4
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I've been searching the internet trying to find out what exactly the Daily Office is. I read about it and see the prayers online, but I'm still not sure exactly what to do or how to pray them. So, what exactly is it? I know there are morning, midday, and evening prayers, but I see so many different prayers and different kinds, when to do them.... I'm getting a bit confused. Perhaps I'm just complicating it. All help would be much appreciated.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,988
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Take a look at Common Worship Daily Prayer: http://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/join-us-in-daily-prayer.aspx

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

+120
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Libertarian
  4. seekingsister

seekingsister Newbie

+11
    Anglican
    Engaged
    US-Democrat
    I do the Common Worship prayers at the Church of England website that was linked above.

I tend to say all of it aloud and alternate between the intercession calendar for the liturgical season and my own personal prayer list at the approriate time. Depending on what's been going on I will also add in an additional prayer of penitence if necessary. Sometimes I sing a modern worship song in place of a hymn.

5. Mockingbird0

Mockingbird0 Mimus polyglottos

+40
    Anglican
    Private
  6. BrickUponBrick

+4
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    This has all been very helpful! Thanks to all of you. I'm learning it, slowly but surely...

7. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant Well-Known Member

+199
    United Kingdom
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If you wish to pray the Common Worship Daily Prayer offline, it is helpful to have a copy of the lectionary in order to select the appropriate readings for that day (Joseph [Gen 41] at the moment :cool: )

Common Worship Almanacs for 2012-13

Don't worry about getting everything right, prayer is about conversing with God, entering the embrace of His love. The words are means to aid this.

Something I enjoy about the online version is there is no worrying about bookmarks.
    I used to use the Benedictine Divine Office (Monastic Diurnal) which was pretty complicated, but nothing as baffling as the Roman Divine Office...when I pray with friends who use that prayer book, I am always searching for the right page. I usually give up and enter a 'prayerful silence' :D

8. Drudgeon

Drudgeon Regular Member

+10
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Green
  9. Drudgeon

Drudgeon Regular Member

+10
    Anglican
    Private
    US-Green
    Another good tool for praying the Office, with lots of customization options.

St. Bede's Breviary

10. Nafe

Nafe Newbie Supporter

+1
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Liberals
  11. rhartsc

rhartsc Member

+6
    Anglican
    Married
    Very informative and very helpful.

12. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    You could also have a look and see if any parishes near you have public daily offices. It can be helpful to get a feel for how they are put together, but also it is just really nice to do them with others when you can.

13. Wigglesworth

Wigglesworth Simple Chicken Farmer

+104
    Charismatic
    It can be hard to grasp in the beginning. Here is a fairly deep instruction on the Divine Office from a Catholic perspective:

General Instructions of the Liturgy of the Hours

14. BrickUponBrick

+4
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks again to all of you. All your help is appreciated. I've been using the dailyoffice.org site and it's been very good so far. Easy to understand, easy to use.

15. gordRedeemed

gordRedeemed Well-Known Member

+615
    Protestant
    Married
    I use the Mission St. Clare app for the iPhone/iPad. Works great.

16. You know what, I grew up Catholic, and I didn't even know what the heck the Daily Office was until I began visiting Anglican parishes!

The Divine Office, or Daily Office, is a very traditional ritual prayer in the Christian tradition. The early monastics would dedicate certain times of the day for prayer - filled with prayers of penitence, Bible passages, and prayers written by ancient Christians, along with standing and kneeling at different times. These became quite formalised where almost every waking hour was dedicated to this format of prayer!

Eventually it became quite complicated and privy only to the monastics, and the laypeople developed alternative devotions instead, such as the Angelus or the Rosary.

Thomas Cranmer, who saw this problem, translated and simplified the Daily Office from its matins, mid-day prayer, vespers, compline, sexts, nones, etc. into Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer in the language understood by the people. This eventually became the Book of Common Prayer.

Many of the prayers in the BCP are translations of ancient Christian prayers and a few penned by Cranmer himself. By praying the Daily Office, you are essentially praying with the monastics and clergypeople both ancient and modern, the Orthodox, the Catholic, the traditional Lutheran, and the Anglican. You are reciting, genuflecting and standing to the rhythms of the Divine Liturgy that has withstood for a thousand years.

Good luck! Most lay Catholics do not do the Divine Office, as it is complicated, but the Anglicans are blessed that they have it at the forefront of their faith. I do not pray it all the time, but once in a while, I absolutely love it!

God bless!