Missouri
✟7,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been searching the internet trying to find out what exactly the Daily Office is. I read about it and see the prayers online, but I'm still not sure exactly what to do or how to pray them. So, what exactly is it? I know there are morning, midday, and evening prayers, but I see so many different prayers and different kinds, when to do them.... I'm getting a bit confused. Perhaps I'm just complicating it. All help would be much appreciated.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I've been searching the internet trying to find out what exactly the Daily Office is. I read about it and see the prayers online, but I'm still not sure exactly what to do or how to pray them. So, what exactly is it? I know there are morning, midday, and evening prayers, but I see so many different prayers and different kinds, when to do them.... I'm getting a bit confused. Perhaps I'm just complicating it. All help would be much appreciated.

Take a look at Common Worship Daily Prayer: http://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-worship/join-us-in-daily-prayer.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seekingsister

Oct 2, 2012
UK
✟15,521.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I do the Common Worship prayers at the Church of England website that was linked above.

I tend to say all of it aloud and alternate between the intercession calendar for the liturgical season and my own personal prayer list at the approriate time. Depending on what's been going on I will also add in an additional prayer of penitence if necessary. Sometimes I sing a modern worship song in place of a hymn.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,538.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
If you wish to pray the Common Worship Daily Prayer offline, it is helpful to have a copy of the lectionary in order to select the appropriate readings for that day (Joseph [Gen 41] at the moment :cool: )

Common Worship Almanacs for 2012-13

Don't worry about getting everything right, prayer is about conversing with God, entering the embrace of His love. The words are means to aid this.

Something I enjoy about the online version is there is no worrying about bookmarks.
I used to use the Benedictine Divine Office (Monastic Diurnal) which was pretty complicated, but nothing as baffling as the Roman Divine Office...when I pray with friends who use that prayer book, I am always searching for the right page. I usually give up and enter a 'prayerful silence' :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

You could also have a look and see if any parishes near you have public daily offices. It can be helpful to get a feel for how they are put together, but also it is just really nice to do them with others when you can.

Upvote 0

Wigglesworth

Simple Chicken Farmer
Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Faith
Charismatic
I've been searching the internet trying to find out what exactly the Daily Office is. I read about it and see the prayers online, but I'm still not sure exactly what to do or how to pray them. So, what exactly is it? . . .

It can be hard to grasp in the beginning. Here is a fairly deep instruction on the Divine Office from a Catholic perspective:

General Instructions of the Liturgy of the Hours

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

DaughterofJehovah

You know what, I grew up Catholic, and I didn't even know what the heck the Daily Office was until I began visiting Anglican parishes!

The Divine Office, or Daily Office, is a very traditional ritual prayer in the Christian tradition. The early monastics would dedicate certain times of the day for prayer - filled with prayers of penitence, Bible passages, and prayers written by ancient Christians, along with standing and kneeling at different times. These became quite formalised where almost every waking hour was dedicated to this format of prayer!

Eventually it became quite complicated and privy only to the monastics, and the laypeople developed alternative devotions instead, such as the Angelus or the Rosary.

Thomas Cranmer, who saw this problem, translated and simplified the Daily Office from its matins, mid-day prayer, vespers, compline, sexts, nones, etc. into Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer in the language understood by the people. This eventually became the Book of Common Prayer.

Many of the prayers in the BCP are translations of ancient Christian prayers and a few penned by Cranmer himself. By praying the Daily Office, you are essentially praying with the monastics and clergypeople both ancient and modern, the Orthodox, the Catholic, the traditional Lutheran, and the Anglican. You are reciting, genuflecting and standing to the rhythms of the Divine Liturgy that has withstood for a thousand years.

Good luck! Most lay Catholics do not do the Divine Office, as it is complicated, but the Anglicans are blessed that they have it at the forefront of their faith. I do not pray it all the time, but once in a while, I absolutely love it!

God bless!

Upvote 0