Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I probably spend too much time on Twitter and YouTube, so this might not have any meaning to some people.

People talk of a 'Culture War' defined by identity politics and a growing divide between progressive and conservative viewpoints.

I get a sense that the radicals have hijacked the debate and the center is being drowned out by the noise.

Do you see this phenomenon playing out in your life?

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I probably spend too much time on Twitter and YouTube, so this might not have any meaning to some people.

People talk of a 'Culture War' defined by identity politics and a growing divide between progressive and conservative viewpoints.

I get a sense that the radicals have hijacked the debate and the center is being drowned out by the noise.

The expression, "culture war" is misleading. The term sounds like a civil war with in a culture. The symptoms on the surface seems to be a civil war. But the truth is that there is a war on our culture. This war is waged by a transnational enemy that is destroying all unique cultures to replace it with a single, monolithic global culture that is without the Living God, and is Satanic in spirit.

Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's mostly internet-based to the extent that it is manifested at all, but like archer75 has pointed out, the internet can and does spill over into real life sometimes, so I guess it could be real in that way. I think the degree to which it seems real probably has to do with how extreme in their political views your immediate social circle is. I'm lucky, in that my friends and family are mostly too old to be really shaped by this stuff, so I feel like I don't witness it very often in real life. Probably if I had lots of friends any amount of years younger than me (I'm in my late 30s), I would be seeing a lot more of that stuff manifested in my real life, but my friends are all my age or older, and I don't really interact very much with people in the prime years of the Millennial generation that is assumed to be doing the loudest yelling about identity politics issues. Whew.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I think a big part of this is just "internet on phones" plus "many crises that people want simple solutions for."

I know this is read from people all over the world, so there are many who actually don't have a culture war going on. But for most of the western world, the evidence of the culture war is not merely rhetoric over the Internet.

The evidence is seen in the number of broken homes where one or both parents are adulterers, and the children are products of divorce.

The evidence is seen in the number of children who have been victims of abuse, and these children grow up to be abusers themselves.

The evidence is seen in ineffectual influence of the Church over society.

The evidence is seen in the number of people who have become delusional in thinking their gender is not the biological gender they were born with.

The war on culture is not confined to the digital world. It has been transforming society for many generations now.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In "real life" pretty much everyone I interact with are nice, decent normal people. I sometimes want to tell myself, like that ad for that '70's horror movie - "keep telling yourself, 'it's only the internet, it's only the internet'". But it's not. We have people wielding power in politics, media, academia, etc., who are decidedly evil and who say things publicly which would have been taken as signs of mental illness 50 years ago.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In personal life, no, because everyone around me is in what you might call the "modern" culture. I think most people tend to be part of a specific culture, and don't see the war itself except on the news. However they definitely see and sometimes experience the effects of the war in various attempts to move to a radicalized version of the 1950s.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The issue is that every minority position now has an equal voice with the center.
The center is very unnerved by this because they are used to having the power
to stop the radicals from speaking. Listen to all the hubbub about "foreign influence"
on the election. Somehow people from other countries got internet access!
Go figure! And with radicals speaking up, they gain more people who agree.

So yes, the "spread" of culture is permanent, world-wide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums