Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
She stood at the edge of the chasm and roared. The sound that came from between her lips seemed to fill the chasm until it was over flowing. It ricocheted of the edges and then seemed to attach itself to the wind flowing out into the night sky.

Her voice had not always been so loud. It was many years ago that she found her way to the path that lead to the peak of the chasm. When she first arrived, she thought it would be fun to watch an echo. So she spoke as loud as she could and, even though she enjoyed listening to the sound, she knew that words were empty and were said only for her own amusement.

There were times she spoke into the chasm and the words were so quiet that they barely bonded. Other times, she didn't been say a word. There were times she would come and say words in the hope that, if she heard them with her own ears, she may actually believe them to be the truth.

But this time was the first time she said those words with power. She spoke with the strength that comes when you speak the truth. She spoke without fear, knowing that those words would be heard by many and not all would be happy but she didn't care. She was speaking for herself, by herself with all that she had.

As stood there, she saw her words dance through her life and she was able to see how everything up until that moment meant more to her yet somehow less. In her perplexity she wanted to capture it but she was too late.

"Life will never be the same," she thought. "Because I have now said that I BELIEVE."

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She stood at the edge of the chasm and roared. The sound that came from between her lips seemed to fill the chasm until it was over flowing. It ricocheted of the edges and then seemed to attach itself to the wind flowing out into the night sky.

Her voice had not always been so loud. It was many years ago that she found her way to the path that lead to the peak of the chasm. When she first arrived, she thought it would be fun to watch an echo. So she spoke as loud as she could and, even though she enjoyed listening to the sound, she knew that words were empty and were said only for her own amusement.

There were times she spoke into the chasm and the words were so quiet that they barely bonded. Other times, she didn't been say a word. There were times she would come and say words in the hope that, if she heard them with her own ears, she may actually believe them to be the truth.

But this time was the first time she said those words with power. She spoke with the strength that comes when you speak the truth. She spoke without fear, knowing that those words would be heard by many and not all would be happy but she didn't care. She was speaking for herself, by herself with all that she had.

As stood there, she saw her words dance through her life and she was able to see how everything up until that moment meant more to her yet somehow less. In her perplexity she wanted to capture it but she was too late.

"Life will never be the same," she thought. "Because I have now said that I BELIEVE."
Some nice writing.

Did you do a Master's degree in English, or would consider it?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Some nice writing.

Did you do a Master's degree in English, or would consider it?

Blessings.

Thank you. That is very kind.

No, I didn't do a Master's degree. I would consider it but unfortunately I don't think that is likely to happen in the near future. I just love to write and express my ideas and feelings through stories, poems etc.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. That is very kind.

No, I didn't do a Master's degree. I would consider it but unfortunately I don't think that is likely to happen in the near future. I just love to write and express my ideas and feelings through stories, poems etc.
I think you mentioned Australia; maybe eventually there would be some distance learning programs for example that would suit you if you want to write more. Then you would be in a good position to start a PhD, if this were your aim.

I'd love to visit ANU, in Canberra, with its huge library stock of books about languages, including a lot of the more obscure ones.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure about a PhD. To be honest, I just love to right. I am fascinated with teaching English. I would love to learn more about that but I am not sure if that really would be an avenue to follow. At the moment, I am content to write what has been placed on my heart. :)

Blessings

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
She stared at the blank screen. "Could this really be my life?"

The screen always held her latest hopes and dreams. That was what they had invented the internet for. To seek the answers to all her desires. Tonight's searches were no different. She looked up everything and prayed that there was an internet fairy godmother that would allow her to receive all that she had searched for.

Her desires were not for a prince charming (though she had looked into one of those on a previous search time) or shoes (though her email was full of junk mail of sales from her favourite shops). She wan't looking for another degree to help her get a better job than the one she already had (she had fallen for that lie before) and she wasn't looking for a way to trek to Nepal (she preferred to look at her friends travel photos of FaceBook than actually do it herself).

Tonight had started out no different. She had started out looking at simple ways to loose weight, however, ended up in the deep recesses of YouTube with people discussing all the different products and exercise routines that they would sell to her for less than the advertised price. She could trust them because what they had had worked for them.

But, like always, just when she thought she knew what she wanted to do, she read a review. Hope would wash away and doubt would enter her mind. Or she would find something else. Something that offered a better deal. Something that would give her a better answer. Or she would find an excuse or something unpleasant about it or ... It didn't really matter. Whatever would happen along the way and she would end up not knowing what to do.

So she was in the midst of reading a lengthy negative review about the product that was going to save her life when the screen went blank. She didn't know what to do. She tried in vain to get everything working again but it wouldn't work. She couldn't even remember the name of the product that she had spent the last half hour researching in the hope that it was going to be then answer.

"The answer." The words rolled through her mind. Ever since she had connected to the internet she was always looking for answers. She had never felt like she had so many questions.

"Why do I need so many answers? Why do I need to know if m favourite celebrity has a boyfriend? Is that really a question I need to answer?" She questioned herself. "Why do I accumulate all these answers?"

She stared at the blank screen as if it could give the answer back to her. Then she decided what she must do. She must learn the real question that all these other questions were hiding. And with that, she wrote her book - the book of questions.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure why but this last line really did it for me. Somehow the major appeal of this to me is the fact that you had all this build-up and yet I'm not sure what it was she even really spoke aloud in the end. :)

Was it simply "Jesus"? Or, perhaps a more abstract ideal ....?

Upvote 0

yesyoushould

Jan 14, 2015
✟1,398.00
Faith
Christian

Too weird.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why but this last line really did it for me. Somehow the major appeal of this to me is the fact that you had all this build-up and yet I'm not sure what it was she even really spoke aloud in the end. :)

Was it simply "Jesus"? Or, perhaps a more abstract ideal ....?

Thank you. I wanted it to be abstract and allow the reader to fill in the blanks. I am glad that you got something from it :)

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Too weird.

Thank you for your response and taking the time to read my short story. I do enjoy writing creatively as it allows me to express emotion and explore possibilities though sometimes, like life, it isn't always clear.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Too weird.
I don't think it's weird. For example, Ecclesiastes is a book of the Bible which poses many questions; but it's only as one reads the New Testament that one really gets full answers to the many, still obscure things that the Old Testament points forward to and find their fulfillment in the Lord Jesus.

Reactions: Evie1980
Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there. So have you done any more creative writing lately?

Blessings.

No unfortunately I have been a little sick of late and haven't had the desire. Hoping that next week during my holidays I will be able to start again.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No unfortunately I have been a little sick of late and haven't had the desire. Hoping that next week during my holidays I will be able to start again.
It can be a kind of tonic or therapy, actually! :) Hope it goes well for you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hope you're feeling better.

I find reading other writers can cause the creative urge to arise with words, sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums