Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is pressure for the team to change its name because it could offend the Muslim community because of the connection with the Crusaders who invaded Palestine and slaughtered thousands of Muslims and Jews in equal numbers. In one city, they herded all the Jews into their synagogue and set it ablaze.

So, I would think that there would be pressure because it could very well offend the Jewish community as well. Funny that nothing was said about that in the news reports...

Also, in 1209 the Crusaders went into Southern France and massacred tens of thousands of innocent Christian men, women and children, because would not accept Catholicism. So, I would think that having the Crusaders name for the rugby team could offend the Reformed and Evangelical Christian community as well!

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Also, in 1209 the Crusaders went into Southern France and massacred tens of thousands of innocent Christian men, women and children, because would not accept Catholicism. So, I would think that having the Crusaders name for the rugby team could offend the Reformed and Evangelical Christian community as well!

Not really. The doctrines of the Albigensians was essentially gnostic. Not forerunners of the Reformation at all.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not really. The doctrines of the Albigensians was essentially gnostic. Not forerunners of the Reformation at all.
Actually the Crusaders destroyed all their literature and records, and then lied about them to justify the wholesale slaughter. Their doctrine was Reformed Evangelical, and Martin Luther recognised them as such. In actual fact, all the Christian movements that were destroyed by the RCC had records falsified against them and were treated as heretics, when the actual heretic of that time was the pope himself.

Upvote 0