Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Woodrow Wilson was without doubt the cruelest president. He was cruel like Jacob.

Woodrow Wilson is the one who delivered Black vote to the Democratic Party, eternally even as their birthright— or in lieu of it. That depends on point of view how you answer that.

And Woodrow Wilson is the president who played the drama of the KKK in the White House while doing so, triumphantly.

Woodrow Wilson was smart, very intelligent even. Democrats admire his intelligence to this very day. He was progressive like them. He was smarter than me, than most people really.

I am at least smart enough to note how easily sold the Hebrews could be on the fleshpots of Egypt. It took a 40 years of miracles to pull them away from that. For sure someone smarter than me would have known at least that, in spades!

The Bible is a meta story on that basic human trait. People are pain avoidant. A desperate people will listen to the power of their stomach over the siren song of freedom any day of the week.

Jacob was smart like that too. He bought the birthright of freedom from his brother for the price of a bowl of soup. And Esau wasn't even desperate, just hungry at the moment.
It is easily understandable why yoga posits the core of the body as the seat of powerful. The stomach speaks to us powerfully.

A chicken in every pot. Esau at least was a hunter and liked to kill his food for himself. That would have saved him from the fleshpots of Egypt later on, and being a liege to the masters with the ladle.

Jacob used his birthright of God's chosen to become Israel, and won his brother over with love and magnanimity. That is the way of God.

Did Woodrow Wilson have his Israel moment too?
I don't think so. That is my opinion. It was all about the vote and all about the power. Democrats increased their vote percentage over the former slaves and their progeny from the constitutional 2/3 of that initial compromise to the nearly 95 % that is the norm of the elections of today.

Or, what did the progressivism of Obama ever do to lift people at the bottom of subsistence living that the promise of a chicken in every pot delivers?

That is all that Caesar can deliver though.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Esau despised his birthright. The text clearly states it. Jacob didn't need to deceive him. He would have been given the benefit either way. I don't agree with his behavior. And his time with Laban definitely changed him. He matured.

President Wilson's actions were wrong. And I wouldn't begin to defend the KKK. There's no argument.

However, African-Americans don't have to vote Democrat. They choose to do so. There are other candidates on every ballot.

And as for President Obama, many hoped they'd have Dr. King but they had something else. I think the evidence was there from the start that was the case. But many believed otherwise. They wanted him to champion things he was very divorced from.

You don't rise to the echelons of power he reached without compromise. It's unlikely he would have done so if his disposition and moral compass was what they wished.

Color is one facet of a person's being. But in some circles it isn't as detrimental as many would suggest if money, connections, and class are well established. That's more important to the powers that be.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm confused about the purpose of this thread? :scratch:
tulc(is just curious) :wave:

I think it's the standard litany of Progressive = Evil. The best they got is to bring up Woodrow Wilson who definitely had his flaws and then some. He was progressive but he was also deeply flawed, definitely a person of his times. Racist, yeah, probably. He was conducting WWI with some pretty abhorrent policies around sedition. He was a hot mess (in the modern parlance).

Thankfully the modern Conservatives today have at least that much historical perspective which is why they keep coming back to it.

Now if we look at the GOP and many conservatives in the USA today we see that they are the party that gets the most support from the KKK (The KKK loudly and firmly supported Trump) and their duly elected President found good people among neo-nazis at a rally where a neo-nazi killed a woman! Their duly elected president TODAY has decreed Mexicans seeking a better life along our southern border to be rapists and drug fiends. He even has his own history of virulent racism!

But definitely let's talk about a President who carried the (D) after his name 100 years ago. That is DEFINITELY the most meaningful discussion to have.

But I do have to say that the OP might have had a deeper point: that people will go after whatever benefits are offered them and will sell their souls to get it. We see that TODAY in people like Sarah Huckabee Sanders whose "Christianity" appears to have been sold to the highest bidder in order to gain the spotlight! And we see it in many, many other evangelical voters who support the promises of the free lunch if they just accept the racism, xenophobia and hatred offered as the thin gruel they must eat in recompense.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hypocrisy is all around us. Victimization and blame are the norm. Everything is labeled and suppositions are taken as facts. And everyone has a soapbox. Whatever your issue rest assured there's a movement or some kooky alternative to champion it.

I think the end result will be uncaring society. One where empathy has fallen by the wayside. You can only cry wolf so long before people stop caring and no longer react.

It's akin to have a sky full of dementors hovering about and sucking the life out of everyone. That's how this feels.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hypocrisy is all around us. Victimization and blame are the norm. Everything is labeled and suppositions are taken as facts. And everyone has a soapbox. Whatever your issue rest assured there's a movement or some kooky alternative to champion it.

I think the end result will be uncaring society. One where empathy has fallen by the wayside. You can only cry wolf so long before people stop caring and no longer react.

It's akin to have a sky full of dementors hovering about and sucking the life out of everyone. That's how this feels.

It certainly can feel that way, but in the end there are objective truths, even if only dimly seen. The model is extremely complex with a lot of factors, but we can understand it if we take the time.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was going to say Andrew Jackson was the cruelest...

As far as the "delivering Black votes to democrats"...you can thank Nixon for that due to his campaign strategists employing the "southern strategy" of bringing on former Dixiecrats who were ousted by their own party when Kennedy ushered in a new way of thinking for the Democratic party.

When your party courts the likes of Strom Thurmond for the purpose of "back-filling lost votes in the south", you shouldn't expect much support from minority communities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It certainly can feel that way, but in the end there are objective truths, even if only dimly seen. The model is extremely complex with a lot of factors, but we can understand it if we take the time.

That's true. But there's too much negativity and the pandemonium grows tiresome. I've been in the mood for Ayn Rand. That's probably why.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's true. But there's too much negativity and the pandemonium grows tiresome. I've been in the mood for Ayn Rand. That's probably why.

I don't think Ayn Rand has any answers, but that's just my opinion. (And considering that Ayn ultimately needed help from others at the end of her life it appears she didn't find any answers in her philosophy either.) Again, just my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think Ayn Rand has any answers, but that's just my opinion. (And considering that Ayn ultimately needed help from others at the end of her life it appears she didn't find any answers in her philosophy either.) Again, just my opinion.

I'm not looking for answers. I prefer peace that's all. :)

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Democrats are the real racists! To prove it, we're going to provide examples from 100 years ago! Nothing's changed since the 1910s, right?

I've been in the mood for Ayn Rand.

My condolences. Feel better soon!
Ringo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip) I've been in the mood for Ayn Rand. That's probably why.
I'm reminded of a quote:
“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
-John Rogers
tulc(hopes that helps) :wave:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am just really glad that Ayn Rand could find a place in this world where she could free think all she wanted, and have whatever opinion she wanted to have without being oppressed.
Ayn Rand was not born in a free country, and the exhilaration of America for her was always being able to say what she wanted, right or wrong, only as long as she believed it was true.

And even then, true is more a matter of personal integrity than the ability to say whatever we want however we want to say it.
It is a pretty easy debate among Christians to find a lot of fault and lack with anyone's believe in full secularism. That is not the point though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am just really glad that Ayn Rand could find a place in this world where she could free think all she wanted, and have whatever opinion she wanted to have without being oppressed.

This. And that's what's under attack today when you don't agree with the group with the loudest voice. I see it in secular circles and religious ones too.

I think the practice of beating people across to head to make your point is going to have a negative consequence. It doesn't endear anyone to your cause and if it isn't their problem they're unlikely to help.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are welcome to your opinion but I enjoy her work. I'm not going to apologize for that. I don't subscribe to group think.
Oddly enough that's pretty much word for word what most people who like Ms.Rand say. :wave:
tulc(never said anyone had to apologize, knows most people simply out grow her simplistic answers for complex problems) :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oddly enough that's pretty much word for word what most people who like Ms.Rand say. :wave:
tulc(never said anyone had to apologize, knows most people simply out grow her simplistic answers for complex problems) :)

Quips are really cute until a need arrives. Some groups are in a better position to address uncertainties than others. I hope humor sustains those who can't. :)

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Quips are really cute until a need arrives. Some groups are in a better position to address uncertainties than others. I hope humor sustains those who can't. :)
well that can't be rand's group of followers since all they do is whine and complain about how people are being given a lot of free stuff whilst suckling on the teet of free stuff.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Democrats are the real racists! To prove it, we're going to provide examples from 100 years ago! Nothing's changed since the 1910s, right?

The only problem with the narrative of the OP insinuating that Democrats are the real racists is that the real racists in this day and age of Donald Trump identify as Republicans and they call their white supremacist/nationalist movement Unite the Right (Alt-Right Movement). Richard Spencer, leader of the Alt-Right Movement, definitely isn't a Democrat, but he is a Trump supporter. We all got a good look at what the Alt-Right Republicans stood for during their white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Speaking of white supremacists, I don't think David Duke is a Democrat either.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.