The Crown Act Just Passed in Nebraska, Making Hair Discrimination Illegal

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
People have definitely been disqualified from the work place because of their naturally groomed hair, which have had nothing to do with it looking untidy. And if said job candidates chose to turn up to an interview sporting a mohawk? Lol. Forget about it.

That's why this decision was made to safeguard those who have suffered for those kinds of double standards against this kind of prejudice.

Hope that answers your question.

Be blessed :)
It doesn't.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think there is a distinction here between hairstyles associated with ethnic culture and hairstyles done simply for style. All hair is not the same, thus you can't really have everyone conform to a single standard. People with 4c hair have very different requirements than someone with 2b hair. Many restrictions on hair single out styling of 4c hair, hence the reason for these laws. The comparison to punk hairstyles or radical coloring of hair misses the fact that restrictions on Black hairstyles are not comparable as one reflects common hairstyle within a community, while the other reflects a specific music subculture. And while I don't believe that there should be any restrictions on the hairstyle anyone wears, I don't think comparisons to the hair scene of a music subculture is apt. When something as simple as braids are targeted, it is readily apparent why these laws are becoming more commonplace.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The comparison to punk hairstyles or radical coloring of hair misses the fact that restrictions on Black hairstyles are not comparable as one reflects common hairstyle within a community, while the other reflects a specific music subculture. And while I don't believe that there should be any restrictions on the hairstyle anyone wears, I don't think comparisons to the hair scene of a music subculture is apt.
Community is a part of that subculture though. Not all punks will have mohawks, but not all black people have fros either. Yet, it would seem that fros are protected by law while mohawks are not.
When something as simple as braids are targeted, it is readily apparent why these laws are becoming more commonplace.
That's the impetus, but I believe the approach is misguided.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Community is a part of that subculture though. Not all punks will have mohawks, but not all black people have fros either. Yet, it would seem that fros are protected by law while mohawks are not.

That's the impetus, but I believe the approach is misguided.

Afros are naturally grown and styled, mohawks are actually culturally 'borrowed' from elsewhere and are stylistically heightened to create an image and, shall I say it? A certain impact. I don't see what normal grown hair has to impact anyone, let alone their job prospects.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get that there's been some discrimination against black women when it comes to hair that shouldn't have happened. But if it's not professional enough for the same work on the African continent, it shouldn't be lawfully protected as professional enough here.

When did Africans become the role models for America?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not talking about being neat, I'm talking about being told to put chemicals in your hair, to straighten it, to wear a wig, in order to conform. And I'm pretty sure if you were a woman, you'd be allowed long hair in the workplace. Let's be fair minded here. An afro is not just a hairstyle, people of african descent have different hair, and different skin too. That does not mean they are untidy or unworthy. I'm pretty sure caucasians don't have to frizzy perm their hair if they happen to work in an african country just because it's considered the norm there. Extend the same courtesy you would expect. Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

It's just about being fair. I really don't see the problem with the decision, I think it's great. I stand with my brothers and sisters who have found it hard just to get a job because of skin tone or hair issues. We are our brothers' keeper. An injustice against one, is an injustice against all, if we are of the same body. Or should other brethren in Christ have to suffer just because they are differently made from you by the SAME God? Should anyone, who is made in His image?

Is this the representation of unity in Christ as His body on earth, that the Lord desires? That we continue in our divisions instead?

I'm not talking about PC culture, which is on steroids right now; I'm just talking about acknowledging what is right and fair, without even the need of getting political about it. For once the justice system is making a fair decision (which is rare anywhere in the world) which we should encourage, because we know the real fight is against the people of God.

What's surprising to me is that the situation is worse now than it was 40 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all punks will have mohawks, but not all black people have fros either.

Only because because we have been willing to do violence in various ways to our natural hair to conform to Caucasian norms.

I let my 'fro grow out back in 1968.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was not a statement, it was a question if the outlawing of discrimination against hairstyles also includes hair that looks untidy and unprofessional, or completely out there in terms of color or shape.

Or if this is just against hairstyles like an afro, dreadlocks or braids that have some cultural meaning or are the natural way some people's hair grows.

A lot of people will claim that the difference is indiscernible.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
'I just felt so embarrassed.' Durham student says she was forced to cut her braids during softball game

N.C. High School Athletic Association Commissioner Que Tucker released the following statement on Wednesday about the incident:

“The NCHSAA is aware of the report that a young lady at Hillside High School cut her hair to remove hair beads in order to stay in the game against Jordan High School on April 19, 2021. The NCHSAA is a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) which is the organization that helps provide uniform playing rules for high school athletics across the nation. As a member of the NFHS, the NCHSAA follows all NFHS playing rules and regulations, including Softball rule 3-2-5 which states that ‘Plastic visors, bandanas and hair-beads are prohibited.’

“This is not a new rule, and when the violation was noticed by an umpire, the proper determination of illegal equipment was verified as supported by NFHS rule.

Four months ago, Durham became one of the first cities in the state to ban discrimination based on hairstyle in the workplace. Durham Public Schools released a statement late Wednesday citing its support for the policy.

“Durham Public Schools supports our students’ right to free expression and opposes unreasonable or biased restrictions on Black women’s hairstyles,” the statement reads.

DPS officials also said it’s encouraging the N.C. High School Athletic Association and the National Federation of State High School Associations to review their policies. The district says that, on the surface, they seem fair but are “culturally biased.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Afros are naturally grown and styled, mohawks are actually culturally 'borrowed' from elsewhere and are stylistically heightened to create an image and, shall I say it? A certain impact. I don't see what normal grown hair has to impact anyone, let alone their job prospects.
Culturally borrowed has nothing to do with it. If you think this may be a better example, I don't think that long hair on a man in a business suit is professional either, and I would say that any law protecting it as such is stupid.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When did Africans become the role models for America?
When Americans began having worse ideas than Africans had.
Only because because we have been willing to do violence in various ways to our natural hair to conform to Caucasian norms.

Cutting hair is violence to it now?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Americans began having worse ideas than Africans had.

Cutting hair is violence to it now?

Well, of course. But you know we're not talking about just cutting hair, particularly not in the case of women.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Culturally borrowed has nothing to do with it. If you think this may be a better example, I don't think that long hair on a man in a business suit is professional either, and I would say that any law protecting it as such is stupid.

The mohawk (also referred to as a Mohican) is a hairstyle in which, in the most common variety, both sides of the head are shaven, leaving a strip of noticeably longer hair in the center. It is today worn as an emblem of non-conformity.

The mohawk is also sometimes referred to as an iro in reference to the Iroquois (who include the Mohawk people), from whom the hairstyle is supposedly derived – though historically the hair was plucked out rather than shaved. Additionally, hairstyles bearing these names more closely resemble those worn by the Pawnee, rather than the Mohawk, Mohicans, Mohegan, or other groups whose names are phonetically similar.

Taken from Wikipedia: Mohawk hairstyle - Wikipedia

Feel free to read the full page, it's actually quite interesting.

By the way, what you said about men having long hair doesn't make me feel better, or worse, or anything at all. No way does it compare to what is being discussed. Men have not been discriminated against the same way women have. Some races have not been discriminated against the way others have. It's not about playing a victim card, it's about justice and dignity. Please don't say anything to try and make me feel better. This is not personal. I'm simply stating my agreement with the legal decision that has been made in this instance.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

I've let my fro grow for over ten years now, people know me based on my crown. :)

Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By the way, what you said about men having long hair doesn't make me feel better, or worse, or anything at all. No way does it compare to what is being discussed. Men have not been discriminated against the same way women have. Some races have not been discriminated against the way others have. It's not about playing a victim card, it's about justice and dignity. Please don't say anything to try and make me feel better. This is not personal. I'm simply stating my agreement with the legal decision that has been made in this instance.
Well, of course. But you know we're not talking about just cutting hair, particularly not in the case of women.
But the text of the bill goes beyond what you are talking about, and includes what I'm talking about. If someone wants to wear a fro in a suit, that is a personal choice, but it should not be forced by the law to be treated as professional.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the text of the bill goes beyond what you are talking about, and includes what I'm talking about. If someone wants to wear a fro in a suit, that is a personal choice, but it should not be forced by the law to be treated as professional.

Okay... imagine for a second if you will, that your groomed, naturally grown hair coming up out of your hair in your nice hair cut that is culturally acceptable by your ethnic group, is now considered as unprofessional for work. Let's even include hair length, short slick hair for white men, and a short afro (basically a normal haircut) for black men. For women, long hair is okay, so longer or bigger natural afro for black women as expected. But it doesn't matter. It's unprofessional. Women with natural caucasian hair that's natural and long, it's unprofessional. It doesn't matter how well groomed the caucasian hair is, or the afro. Can't expect a good job. Doesn't matter how tailored your suit is either, your hair is letting you down.

Something here is not quite right. Something is not fair. It's pretty obvious.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay... imagine for a second if you will, that your groomed, naturally grown hair coming up out of your hair in your nice hair cut that is culturally acceptable by your ethnic group, is now considered as unprofessional for work. Let's even include hair length, short slick hair for white men, and a short afro (basically a normal haircut) for black men.
That doesn't make sense, my hair is high and tight, and high and tight works for all men of all racial backgrounds. Expanding this with the force of law is stupid and unnecessary.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't make sense, my hair is high and tight, and high and tight works for all men of all racial backgrounds. Expanding this with the force of law is stupid and unnecessary.

I agree. Equally ridiculous is that a black woman who grows her natural hair long, but still manages to keep it neat and tidy, would be refused work based on her natural hair. Completely unnecessary.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
But high and tight is not the only hairstyle allowed for men, there are a variety of hairstyles that are allowed. For black people, whatever their hair is, it's unprofessional unless it's a close shaven head. Afro? Unprofessional. Braids? Unprofessional. Dreads? Unprofessional. Flattop? Unprofessional. Shaving a line into hairline? Unprofessional. It's never been about a professional work environment, it's always been about policing black hair and punishing anyone for not complying with a Eurocentric standard. If you straightened your hair, then a variety of hairstyles are now considered acceptable, it's acceptable because Eurocentric culture is being treated as "normal."

Upvote 0