Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Many agree that the 10 commandments are still good for today.

All except the 4th one that is.

I'm sure you all have heard the arguments so I won't get into that here except for a few.

1. Jesus arose from the dead on Sunday so that is the new Sabbath.
  2. The Jews keep the Sabbath, that is for them alone
  3. Jesus when asked what commandments to keep never mentioned the Sabbath.
Here are some brief answers to those above.

#1. That actually is an oxymoron. The first day of the week cannot be the seventh day of the week. Humans have no right to change what God made Holy into unholy.
#2. The remembrance of the seventh day was given for Israel to keep to be a sign between God and his people. It was also to uphold the Creator God in the sight of all the heathens.
#3. All I will say about this is that he never said he was the son of God but he did say he was LORD of the Sabbath.

Now please let's not get onto rabbit trails about these three as that is not the point of this thread.

The theme is this: Who is God and how to love him. or Do you Love the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? or some other god?

Yes there are many 'gods', even YHVH said as much. But who is The One who must be worshiped and obeyed above all?

Yes in the beginning of the 'ten commandments' He tells us

'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.'

So how to show who you worship? Who is God?

The mark of the One True God is all around us, it is His Creation.

Ps 19:1 - 2
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

Many view the 'old testament' writings as all pointing forward to Jesus, But do not realize that Jesus himself pointed back to the beginning.

How else would he prove he was the Messiah? Miracles, sure, healing the sick, raising the dead but more importantly that he was the Creator.

Isa. 29 :17 Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?​
18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.
19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

There is a story in the Gospels that hints to this. Please read it as it has a lot of hidden gems.

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. 8 The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? 9 Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. 10 Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? 11 He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. 12 Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.​
13 They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. 14 And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. 15 Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. 16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. 17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.​
18 But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. 19 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? 20 His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: 21 But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. 22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. 23 Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.​
24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. 25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. 26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? 27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples? 28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. 29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. 30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. 31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. 32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. 33 If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. 34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.​
35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? 36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? 37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. 38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshiped him.​

Some things to take away from this story.

• There was a man born blind so that the creator could be recognized as the one who came in the flesh.
  • His sight was given to him (not restored as this could happen medically, spontaneously) by Yeshua making eyes for the man with the clay he made from the earth. Just as he did Adam, this was a part of course but of the same 'materials'. Remember what John wrote, nothing that was made was made without him.
  • This happened on the Sabbath Day
  • Before making the clay he proclaimed he was the light of the world. Light and world also point back to the beginning.
  • His eyes were 'opened' which means they were not like a traditional blind person whose eyes are open but they can't see, but his eye(lids) were closed shut. So when some said that he looked similar to the blind boy it was because they didn't recognize him with eyes in their sockets.
  • When the authorities question the man again 'What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? ' This shows that his eyelids were closed.
  • upload_2022-9-10_18-43-50.png
  • The man told them Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.

John went back to the beginning as that is where it all started, it also shows who Yeshua really was.

John
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.​
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made........​
14. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.​

This tells us that Jesus/Yeshua is the creator.

Was he just there in the beginning or before even?

John 17:5
And now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence with the glory I had with You before the world existed.

He was the one working those 6 days. But God still works today as Yeshua told them when they accused him of breaking the Sabbath.

To be continued....

Last edited:

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for the delay. The new software has made it hard to get around and this got lost.

Now to continue......

One of the great 'PROOFS' that Yeshua/Jesus was the promised Messiah, who was promised from the Garden of Eden was that he was indeed not only the Messiah but he was indeed the LORD GOD himself.

And what is the Great designation of who GOD is above all?

------------------------------THE ONE WHO CREATED EVERYTHING-------------------------------

If you diminish that then you are half way there to elevating yourself to that position.

Now who was it that wanted to be Like GOD?

It wasn't enough to change the HOLY Sabbath day to the day of the Sun which was the first drawing away and it was justified because of those dirty Jews. Cutting of the root from the branches the branches therefore lay dead.

Now the next attack happens when a young man, son of a preacher (Darwin) was lead to conclusions that the story of creation wasn't really true.

How? by 'discovering evolution'.

This hoax was the beginning of the archeology pursuits in order to sustain it.

It has been taught as gospel for so long, not many don't automatically believe it.

Not caring that they have been deceived into believing that they were not created in the image of GOD
himself, but instead are just the product of the latest stage of evolution.

It is a shame really to be made to believe that you are a descendant of 'primordial slime' then fish which have no soul, to crawling out of the sea to walk on land.................etc.

It has been proven that many of the 'discoveries' actually DISprove the evolution chain but it has been ingrained for so long, they are dismissed, after all a man living in the 17th century without the knowledge man has discovered since then has to still be correct in his assumptions, right?

The LORD GOD created his mark of creation as soon as he finished it. He called the day after he created Man, the SEVENTH day a 'rest', a Marker of his completion of Creation. He sanctified it and made it HOLY. In honor of himself.

He later included it in his marriage contract/Covenant, in order for all the world to know which god Israel (the ones entrusted to bring his Promised Messiah) worshiped and belonged to.

They were given the job of pointing to the Creator, the one and Only TRUE GOD. They were given the HOLY task of remembering it every week which was easy for all around them to see who their God was.

That same GOD, the GOD of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob gave this job to be a sign among the heathens of the Creator. This same Creator later came to mankind in flesh, and his name is Salvation - Yeshua.

This same Yeshua as John tells us:
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

'All things through him came into being, and without him came into being not even one thing that has come into being.'

These three opening verses point directly back to Genesis 1

After establishing that 'the WORD' meaning Yeshua/Jesus was and IS GOD he makes sure to point back to Genesis and the beginning of all things. All things being created by HIM (Yeshua/Jesus) as HE is the Creator.

If you no longer keep the Sabbath HOLY, set apart from the 6 days of man, then you are denying the Creator
and his name is

YESHUA/JESUS

Last edited:
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The only commandment given specifically to the children of Israel as a perpetual or everlasting covenant.

Exodus 31:16
(16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8
(8) Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,905.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm sure you all have heard the arguments so I won't get into that here except for a few.

#1. That actually is an oxymoron. The first day of the week cannot be the seventh day of the week. Humans have no right to change what God made Holy into unholy.
#2. The remembrance of the seventh day was given for Israel to keep to be a sign between God and his people. It was also to uphold the Creator God in the sight of all the heathens.
#3. All I will say about this is that he never said he was the son of God but he did say he was LORD of the Sabbath.

Now please let's not get onto rabbit trails about these three as that is not the point of this thread
Before we get into the theme of the thread we need to get something straight. The Sabbath given ONLY to Israel WAS a ritual command and didn't deal with how Israel was to treat their fellow man. The other nine commandments were all about how they were to treat their fellow man. All mankind, under the new covenant, face the same demand as how to we treat our fellow man. If we love our fellow man we will not steal from them nor will we not honor our parents. Because we love our fellow man we will not harm him in any way. We show our love to God by how we treat all of His children and because we love God we will not place anything above Him.

Love is the great theme of the New Testament. Loving others as Jesus loves us is the greatest command ever given by God.

The theme is this: Who is God and how to love him. or Do you Love the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? or some other god?
Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God and God the Father is God and we love God by how we love our fellow man. “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matt25:40

Yes there are many 'gods', even YHVH said as much. But who is The One who must be worshiped and obeyed above all?

Many view the 'old testament' writings as all pointing forward to Jesus, But do not realize that Jesus himself pointed back to the beginning.

How else would he prove he was the Messiah? Miracles, sure, healing the sick, raising the dead but more importantly that he was the Creator.

Isa. 29 :17 Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?

18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

There is a story in the Gospels that hints to this. Please read it as it has a lot of hidden gems.

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. 8 The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? 9 Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. 10 Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? 11 He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. 12 Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.
13 They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. 14 And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. 15 Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. 16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. 17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.

18 But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. 19 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? 20 His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: 21 But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. 22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. 23 Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.

24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. 25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. 26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? 27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples? 28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. 29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. 30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. 31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. 32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. 33 If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. 34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? 36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? 37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. 38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshiped him.​

• There was a man born blind so that the creator could be recognized as the one who came in the flesh.
  • His sight was given to him (not restored as this could happen medically, spontaneously) by Yeshua making eyes for the man with the clay he made from the earth. Just as he did Adam, this was a part of course but of the same 'materials'. Remember what John wrote, nothing that was made was made without him.
  • Before making the clay he proclaimed he was the light of the world. Light and world also point back to the beginning.
  • His eyes were 'opened' which means they were not like a traditional blind person whose eyes are open but they can't see, but his eye(lids) were closed shut. So when some said that he looked similar to the blind boy it was because they didn't recognize him with eyes in their sockets.
  • When the authorities question the man again 'What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? ' This shows that his eyelids were closed.
  • View attachment 320717
  • The man told them Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.

John went back to the beginning as that is where it all started, it also shows who Yeshua really was.

John
1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made........

And now, Father, glorify Me in Your presence with the glory I had with You before the world existed.

He was the one working those 6 days. But God still works today as Yeshua told them when they accused him of breaking the Sabbath.
Jesus was Lord of the Sabbath given only to Israel. It was His choice to do with as He pleased.

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not just the 10 but the entire law! It's on how we implement it that people differ.

More from Psalm 19
The LORD's Law is perfect, restoring the soul. The LORD's testimony is sure, making wise the simple.

The LORD's precepts are right, rejoicing the heart. The LORD's commandment is pure, enlightening the eyes.

The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever. The LORD's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.

More to be desired are they than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the extract of the honeycomb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Now please let's not get onto rabbit trails about these three as that is not the point of this thread.

Isa. 29 :17 Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. 5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. 6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, 7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing. 8 The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? 9 Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he. 10 Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened? 11 He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight. 12 Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.
13 They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind. 14 And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes. 15 Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see. 16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them. 17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.

18 But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight. 19 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see? 20 His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind: 21 But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself. 22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. 23 Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.

24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner. 25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see. 26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes? 27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples? 28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. 29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. 30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. 31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. 32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind. 33 If this man were not of God, he could do nothing. 34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.

• View attachment 320717

John
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made........

To be continued....

Amen! Good points all.

Also in Rev 14 part of the final warning message given to planet Earth before the Rev 15/Rev 16 7last plagues is a reminder to "worship Him who CREATED"

Rev 14: 6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven with an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation, tribe, language, and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth, and sea and springs of waters.

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Gen 2: Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.​

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The only commandment given specifically to the children of Israel as a perpetual or everlasting covenant.
Exodus 31:16
(16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8
(8) Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.

The New Covenant is also exclusively for Israel -- is it your view that gentiles cannot be under the New Covenant? Or do you accept the Romans 2, Romans 9, Romans 11 inclusion of gentiles into that concept?

Jesus says the Sabbath is for "mankind" Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"
Is 56:6-7 singles out gentiles specifically for Sabbath keeping
Is 66:23 says Sabbath keeping is for all mankind after the cross, in the New Earth
Gen 2:1-3 has the Sabbath set apart as a Holy Day for mankind long before there is one Jew

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Lulav said:

Not just the 10 but the entire law! It's on how we implement it that people differ. .

As has been shown repeatedly - a great many today argue that the ceremonial law never applied to gentiles and still does not -- So while the TEN all apply most/many point out that only the Nation-church of Israel had the ceremonies.

We see that in the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19.
We see it in "the Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19
And in the Catholic Dies Domini document

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lulav said:

As has been shown repeatedly - a great many today argue that the ceremonial law never applied to gentiles and still does not -- So while the TEN all apply most/many point out that only the Nation-church of Israel had the ceremonies.

Hi BobRyan,

You're busy today, with threads from all over :thumbsup:

What I was getting at is that the entire law is good.

Doesn't Romans say something like that? "Therefore the law is good and...?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The New Covenant is also exclusively for Israel -- is it your view that gentiles cannot be under the New Covenant? Or do you accept the Romans 2, Romans 9, Romans 11 inclusion of gentiles into that concept?
Jesus says the Sabbath is for "mankind" Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for mankind"
Is 66:23 says Sabbath keeping is for all mankind after the cross, in the New Earth
Gen 2:1-3 has the Sabbath set apart as a Holy Day for mankind long before there is one Jew
Instead of trying to have a cordial discussion you start off with a confrontational, incorrect assumption.
Mark 2:27-28
(27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
(28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
If you wish to discuss scripture, quote them, not what you think they say.
Please show me the N.T. commandment that gentile Christians are required to observe the weekly Sabbath?
There are 4 requirements listed in Acts 15 and 21. Here was the perfect place for Paul to include Sabbath observance. It ain't there.

Acts 15:20
(20) But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:29
(29) That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Acts 21:25
(25) As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

• View attachment 320717

John

To be continued....

indeed Jesus points to the beginning. do you know what also points to the beginning? The 4th commandment. when we go all the way back, the creation account fits a salvation metaphor than it does law. The NT agrees

2 Cor 4:6 "
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ."

that's a reference back to the beginning and it reveals the light at the beginning is actually talking about Christ's light which is an abstract concept.

John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

here again, it places Christ at the begining and it is his light that shines out the darkness. This should show new revelation on the creation account and when we read it we should understand the contrasts of light and darkness are deliberate and they do indeed show a process of salvation.

2 Cor 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

2 Cor already setup up the parallel to the light of creation with Christ then it calls those in Christ are called now a new creation where the old is gone. again this points back to the beginning where the creation happens and is another play on light and darkness but it goes beyond identifying all of the creation this time so in a similar way we should look at all of creation in Genesis.

the creation accont is in a chastic structure so if we want to understand the beginning and what it means we need to understand the purpose and focus of the account. in a chiastic structure, ideas are first introduced as a opening and then repeated in reverse order as a closing following a pattern. the creation account is in a nested chiastic structure which I will separate as A and B and then enumerated. the openings will be green and the closings in red.

A1- 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
A2- 1:2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
B1- 1:3-5 And God said, “Let there be light,”...
B2- 1:6-8 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.”...
B3- 1:9-13 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.”...
-B1 1:14-19 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs...
-B2 1:20-23 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.”...
-B3 21:4-31 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds...​
-A1 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
-A2 2:2-3 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work

the difference with this chiastic structure is usually it is in reverse order (ie 12345-54321) in this case it is in a nested cascading order (12345-34512) but A and B (AB-BA) are still in reverse order. even if you want to argue it is a chiastic structure it very clearly is in an intentional structure so the point is still the same. the structure reveals to us ways to read the account because intrinsically each is paralleled and their parallels show us deeper meaning revealing A is the main clause and B the supporting.

For example, we see revealed through the chiastic structure 1:1 and 2:1 are linked together. view in this way they function more as bookends then they do as creation action which is often understood in 1:1. 2:1 however is clearly a summary but in this case is a closing summary where 1:1 acts as an opening summary.

in the structure you will also see days 1-3 are linked with days 4-6. if you read the days content days 1-3 seem more about organizing and separating and 4-6 seem more about filling. days 1-3 don't actually use the word "create" which in Hebrew is a very concrete concept more of "filling up" or forming. Days 4-6 the. Are about the filling up that which was organised in days 1-3. in this sense, it follows the chaistic structure of days 1, 2 and 3 as the opening and days 3, 4, and 5 as the closing.

what the structure also reveals in day 7 is linked with the period before day 1 (we will call day 0 for lack of a better word). where day 0 is of disorder, unformed, darkness and incomplete day 7 is the answer to this state which is of rest, formed, light and compelte. This is the main point of the account. The creations days act as the process to get to day 7 but day 7 is the goal and "day 0" is its contrast

this structure helps us understand what question is being answered or what the focus is. when we look at day 7 it is the answer to day 0 or the completion or goal of day 0 (also the same with the other days). and this fits perfectly in a salvation metaphor and also in terms like the "new creation". before Christ we exist in an unformed darkness until light is spoken into our lives that starts a process ending in rest. This is the meaning of day 7. God does not rest because he is tired, he rests because the work is complete. God has a work in each of us that in a similar way will enter rest when that work is complete which can point to righteousness through Christ but it can be layered as well point to events like the resurrection, restoration of all things, new heaven and new earth or pretty much any time in the bible where there is something new and old.

It also foreshadows Christ earthly ministry and when his "work" was finished he uttered "it is finished" then he rested. His rest (death) was over the duration of the Sabbath and on Sunday when the Sabbath was over he rose. In this way he fulfills the demand of the Sabbath that in logic points to our beating heart and breath as work, Christ then satisfies the demands by resting in the grave. Just as Abraham questions God with sodom and gomorrah what if there was 50 righteous, 45 righteous, 30 righteous, 20 righteous or 10 righteous... Abraham doesn't go all the way if there was 1 righteous one because the answer was becoming self evident and the logic down to the 1. I think he was becoming increasingly aware that 1 righteous man could do it, but he nor lot satisfied the demand. That one is Christ and in order for Christ to satisfy the law he had to die which ultimately is what the law demands and is why Christ rested in the grave during the Sabbath because even tw Sabbath demands death.

So I agree Christ points back to the beginning. But let's not just exploit the beginning to point to something else. the 4th commandment points to the beginning not the 7th day pointing to the 4th commandment. Let's get the order right and then if we really want to look at the beginning let's have a serious talk about what the beginning shows us and what it doesn't show us. In this sense the old presents the question and the new is the answer, the goal or completion to the old.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Before we get into the theme of the thread we need to get something straight. The Sabbath given ONLY to Israel

Jesus was Lord of the Sabbath given only to Israel. It was His choice to do with as He pleased.
Not to take this off track more... I apologize for not getting back to this, it somehow slipped out of my alerts.

Anyway. I'll address this and ask that it not be debated any more so as to continue the thread.

Way back when there were only heathens on the earth. Because of the fall and the promise in Genesis 3 the LORD looked to find a people to praise his name in the earth, after all HE alone is the Creator.
Now the adversary who caused the fall was told that there would come a 'seed' that would crush his head (kill him) and he, since that time has tried to avert that from happening.

I won't go into details here but there are many examples to be found of the adversary working to twart God's plans.
When it became obvious as to whom the LORD had chosen to bring forth the Messiah, the one that would crush his heal the attacks intensified.

We all know the story of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and from this family came the Redeemer.

Now back in the beginning, the LORD created the heavens and earth and all that we see in them, including mankind.
He is the ONLY CREATOR but there is one who wants to usurp that position or better yet, hide it, at least from the knowledge of mankind.

In 'mythology' there were many 'gods' introduced to fool the people. They even invented 'creator gods'.

So when the LORD YHVH chose the line to bring his Messiah through he gave them an awesome task. While giving rules to live by and separating them from the heathens he made part of his covenant with them to uphold him as the True CREATOR. And that was done by certain ways to keep that day, the Seventh day as it points back to Creation week.

There are many writings against the Jews (In particular to when Christianity came about) that ridicule them for things they do such as circumcision which was a law given to Abraham. But the main thing they are criticized for is for Keeping the Sabbath Holy.

A few things:

They don't work on this day
They don't light a fire or cook on this day
They light candles before the sun goes down, ushering in the Holy day

Despite the risks of keeping Shabbat many during the inquisition found a way to still keep the Sabbath holy even though their lives were at stake. Those Jews during the Holocaust did the same thing as best they could.

This was a weekly reminder as to not being afraid to show the world who their God was. A weekly advertising, even under the most difficult and horrendous conditions to show the world who the True Creator God is.

Now why would this day, once a week be so important? Again because it proclaims to the world who the ONE TRUE GOD is. The ONE that Created everything. It points back every week in history to the Creation story.

It is not just a day that God finished his work, He actually sanctified it , separated it from the rest of the week to show himself as the Creator.

It is set apart and the ONLY day of the week that He has ever done so.

Now Israel was told that they could have the strangers among them (who weren't related to any of the tribes) keep the same commandments. These were considered to have 'joined Israel'. Many years later we read about one who wasn't from any of the tribes but who bound themselves to Israel (the people) and to their God. That person was Ruth, the Great- Grandmother of King David whose line the Messiah came through.

NOw those who have learned of the Jewish Messiah and have accepted his sacrifice for their sins should automatically want to have the same same heart attitude as Ruth did. (your people will be my people and your God , My God. )

The Sabbath was given to the People of GOD, the one True God, it was given to them still to uphold the True God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as a testimony to the world of the ONE and ONLY Creator.

Many Jews still witness to this but sadly the Millions of Christians that have taken their Messiah to be theirs do not want to be witnesses to HIM and don't point to Him on the Seventh day.

Doing this to 'not be like the Jews' is the worst excuse for not Upholding the True Creator, YHVH and that includes his son who was there with HIM at Creation.

As John said there was nothing that was made that was not made by Him (Jesus).

I will return to the OP, post #2 shortly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

These arguments are made up by Sabbatarians whose truths are based on reasoning apart from scripture.
Scripture in Genesis says that God rested on the seventh day of creation, but Sabbatarians reason that God rested every seventh day on earth. Understand that the triune God that we serve has 3 distinct personalities. The Holy Spirit and the Son can and have inhabits the earth, but the Father has never set foot on earth. Want to see scriptures?

History proves that Jews have not abandon the Sabbath, but also Chistian worship is not Sabbath keeping.

Was Christ raised from the dead and appeared at a Sunday gathering?
Did Christ followers gather the next week when Thomas was present to see Him?
Were the followers of Christ gathered together on a Sunday (Pentecost) when the Christian church was born?
We don't agree with the Catholic church having authority to change Sabbath to Sunday (more fake news)
Truth Matters

Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi BobRyan,

You're busy today, with threads from all over :thumbsup:

What I was getting at is that the entire law is good.

Doesn't Romans say something like that? "Therefore the law is good and...?"
agreed. God's Law is good both the ceremonial "predictive" Law that points to the cross --
and also the moral "prescriptive" law - that are rules defining what sin is 1 John 3:4 even in the NT

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
non-7th-day-Sabbath groups affirm all TEN of the TEN commandments - not "just nine"

These arguments are made up by Sabbatarians whose truths are based on reasoning apart from scripture.

I find that response missing a few details

Maybe you mean - reasoning "apart from scripture if I don't read the posts where scripture is the basis of the point being made"??

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Was Christ raised from the dead and appeared at a Sunday gathering?
Yes -... once.
Did Christ followers gather the next week when Thomas was present to see Him?
yes ... once
Were the followers of Christ gathered together on a Sunday (Pentecost) when the Christian church was born?
yes ... once

Did Christian Jews and gentiles meet with Paul "EVERY Sabbath" for Gospel preaching --- Act 18:4 instead of 'once'? - yes
Did believing gentiles ask for MORE Gospel preaching to be given to them "on the NEXT Sabbath" Acts 13 -- yes

Did anyone in all of the NT EVER ask for a gospel service to be presented "The NEXT Sunday"? -- no.
IS there even ONE reference to Christian Jews and Gentiles meeting "EVERY Sunday for Gospel preaching"? -- no

Now you may respond that "those are just Bible details and what the Bible meant to say is that YES Christian Jews and gentiles met EVERY Sunday for Gospel preaching" --- but that would be an "insert" into the text rather than the "quote" of one.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
agreed. God's Law is good both the ceremonial "predictive" Law that points to the cross --
and also the moral "prescriptive" law - that are rules defining what sin is 1 John 3:4 even in the NT
Well, we both agree that the law is good!

Upvote 0