The Corona-virus exposes an ugly side of humanity.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure about other people in other parts of the world but here in Australia people are panic buying food and other essentials to the point where it has caused some and especially the old and disabled to miss out altogether. It has taken drastic action by the government and retailers to put limits on the amounts people can buy especially toilet paper, sanitizers, bleach, disinfectant, hand towels, tissues, napkins, rice, pasta, tinned foods like baked beans and tuna, frozen veg, most meats but especially mince meat, sausages and fresh chicken pieces and a number of other products. Usually its the ones you need.

Though there have been restrictions people are getting around this by getting their friends and family to each buy products. Others have organised trips to different areas and wipe out local products making it hard for the locals. Freezers have sold out everywhere as people stock up. The news has shown people fighting in supermarkets over toilet paper and on one occasion a women pulled a knife on another. There have been assaults and a lot of people abusing each other and sales assistants.

It got me thinking what if there was an even bigger disaster or crisis which did threaten peoples lives. I think the way people have been acting the likelihood of people actually being badly hurt or even killed is a big possibility. We seen this sort of behaviour with the LA riots. But when it comes to food and survival it seems to bring out a sort of animal instinct and its dog eat dog and survival of the fittest.

But when you compare this to past generations I have heard that they went through worse where they had rations for a number of years during and after the 1st and 2nd world wars. People respected each other and shared. I have read stories about how organisations like the Salvation Army sacrificed themselves to help others and even put themselves in harms way. What has happened to modern society in that we have become so selfish and only looking out for No.1.

Last edited:

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But when you compare this to past generations I have heard that they went through worse where they had rations for a number of years during and after the 1st and 2nd world wars

I think we need that again temporarily. People are definitely not good now a days and think of only themselves, not all but a huge majority.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think we need that again temporarily. People are definitely not good now a days and think of only themselves, not all but a huge majority.
need what again rations?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the states there was panic buying and limits had to be placed on certain things, as well.
Yeah I have heard similar stories in other countries. It is still early days. I thought the panic would settle and the limits would even things out. But that hasn't made much difference. You wonder how much can people hoard.

I don't think the food shops will close so we are going to have enough to eat. We have been able to supply everyone in the past and it is not as if the virus is destroying crops and farm animals. They would be well isolated and protected as they are big commercial enterprises.

It will just mean people will end up having too much food and not buy which will cause an oversupply. There were signs outside the supermarket saying that they were not giving refunds on stuff like toilet paper. So people have realized they have panicked and now want their money back.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah I have heard similar stories in other countries. It is still early days. I thought the panic would settle and the limits would even things out. But that hasn't made much difference. You wonder how much can people hoard.

I don't think the food shops will close so we are going to have enough to eat. We have been able to supply everyone in the past and it is not as if the virus is destroying crops and farm animals. They would be well isolated and protected as they are big commercial enterprises.

It will just mean people will end up having too much food and not buy which will cause an oversupply. There were signs outside the supermarket saying that they were not giving refunds on stuff like toilet paper. So people have realized they have panicked and now want their money back.
In the states ( at least where live it has slowed down some ( people may be going to the store more but they are not buying way too much at a time. ( of course I can only speak for the counties ( local governments sometimes bigger than most cities, but smaller than the whole state, but as far as I can tell that aspect has slowed down.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Not sure about other people in other parts of the world but here in Australia people are panic buying food and other essentials to the point where it has caused some and especially the old and disabled to miss out altogether. It has taken drastic action by the government and retailers to put limits on the amounts people can buy especially toilet paper, sanitizers, bleach, disinfectant, hand towels, tissues, napkins, rice, pasta, tinned foods like baked beans and tuna, frozen veg, most meats but especially mince meat, sausages and fresh chicken pieces and a number of other products. Usually its the ones you need.

Though there have been restrictions people are getting around this by getting their friends and family to each buy products. Others have organised trips to different areas and wipe out local products making it hard for the locals. Freezers have sold out everywhere as people stock up. The news has shown people fighting in supermarkets over toilet paper and on one occasion a women pulled a knife on another. There have been assaults and a lot of people abusing each other and sales assistants.

It got me thinking what if there was an even bigger disaster or crisis which did threaten peoples lives. I think the way people have been acting the likelihood of people actually being badly hurt or even killed is a big possibility. We seen this sort of behaviour with the LA riots. But when it comes to food and survival it seems to bring out a sort of animal instinct and its dog eat dog and survival of the fittest.

But when you compare this to past generations I have heard that they went through worse where they had rations for a number of years during and after the 1st and 2nd world wars. People respected each other and shared. I have read stories about how organisations like the Salvation Army sacrificed themselves to help others and even put themselves in harms way. What has happened to modern society in that we have become so selfish and only looking out for No.1.
Who would have thought? Sinners are selfish? Sinners don't care about others? Seriously, what do you expect? The education system has taught everyone no responsibility but every right under the sun. Previous generations had at least a sense of duty and a certain nobility. It's exceedingly rare now. There never were any good old days, but it's much worse now.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
like in WW2 ration the tp and towel paper. Send out coupons or stamps
Why? The stores are doing it for themselves ( moreover, as far as I can tell ( whether because of the limits or otherwise that is slowing down.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You still see some of that in the US. People are already texting about how to deliver supplies to the needy and vulnerable, at least at my church. At my *very* secular workplace, there is also a sense that we're going through this together, and will get through this together, we already have a culture of helping each other out.

But at the same time in the US, there's gross selfishness. When New Orleans was devastated after Katrina (2005) and the looting stories got out, I knew we were screwed if a similar nationwide calamity hit.

• Agree
Reactions: variant
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Who would have thought? Sinners are selfish? Sinners don't care about others? Seriously, what do you expect? The education system has taught everyone no responsibility but every right under the sun. Previous generations had at least a sense of duty and a certain nobility. It's exceedingly rare now. There never were any good old days, but it's much worse now.
Although, I have noticed that this has brought out the good in people too. Businesses waiving charges. People delivering meals and even computers for students that rely on them.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually the thought came to me about that verse in revelations 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

I think if things keep going the way they are or if we have another similar event or a crash in economic markets as a result and people begin to panic and food starts to run out I can see some sort of system like this being brought in. It makes sense in that everyone would have a history of what they bought with their household address and every-time they bought something it could register what you bought and know if you were over the limit. Leaving it to people to do the right thing or using 2 or 3 different cards would not work. So everyone would get a card under one system. That way the government can control and ration food and essentials.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why? The stores are doing it for themselves ( moreover, as far as I can tell ( whether because of the limits or otherwise that is slowing down.

So far but the people could bum rush them. All it will take is for the media to make another scare (because the media deals in fear and we all watched them our whole lives so we are primed for fear) for another panic buy.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You still see some of that in the US. People are already texting about how to deliver supplies to the needy and vulnerable, at least at my church. At my *very* secular workplace, there is also a sense that we're going through this together, and will get through this together, we already have a culture of helping each other out.

But at the same time in the US, there's gross selfishness. When New Orleans was devastated after Katrina (2005) and the looting stories got out, I knew we were screwed if a similar nationwide calamity hit.
I was in middle school in 05, so remember it happening, but not really the aftermath in terms of that as I live in rural GA, so um did not really feel the affects and middle schoolers are well middle schoolers and for the most part ( other than things like 9/11 would prefer to watch something other than the news.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Although, I have noticed that this has brought out the good in people too. Businesses waiving charges. People delivering meals and even computers for students that rely on them.
You are right about that. Someone handed me a pack of 24 toilet paper rolls yesterday when I asked where to find them. The Lord prompted me to ask him, an Asian gentleman. I don't know, maybe he was happy to help someone who was not blaming him for the virus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,672.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

You seem to ignoring the ambulance drivers, the doctors, the surgeons, the nurses, the paramedics, the care workers who are putting themselves at risk to care for all the sick, not just victims of covid-19.

The UK government asked for volunteers to provide certain forms of support for the National Health Service. Their target was 250,000. The sign on site went live on Tuesday. Within 48 hours over 500,000 people had signed up.

Across the country, yes fools are panic buying, but there are countless examples of neighbours helping neighbours, of small groups setting up simple schemes to care for the elderly or vulnerable, without risk to either.

You can find plenty that is bad, but there is a great deal that is good. I recommend ditching the glass half empty mentality and recognising how so many are rising to the challenge.

Reactions: dogs4thewin
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually the thought came to me about that verse in revelations 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

I think if things keep going the way they are or if we have another similar event or a crash in economic markets as a result and people begin to panic and food starts to run out I can see some sort of system like this being brought in. It makes sense in that everyone would have a history of what they bought with their household address and every-time they bought something it could register what you bought and know if you were over the limit. Leaving it to people to do the right thing or using 2 or 3 different cards would not work. So everyone would get a card under one system. That way the government can control and ration food and essentials.
Good point I always thought the mark though would need to be on the body, as well as of course worldwide ( everyone using the same system., but then again I far from claim to know that stuff.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think the true test will come when and if too many people get really sick and there is not enough life saving equipment. It then literally becomes a case of who lives and dies. But I think you are right in that we need more people to stop and think about others. The older neighbor or disabled person who may not have help. Buy some toilet paper for someone else not extra for yourself.

Our community center is finding it hard as we use to get a fair bit of food delivered from left over from shops and stores. But with the panic buying and products being wiped out we have not been getting much in a time where we need extra as more people are struggling.

There will be more people experiencing mental health problems as they have suddenly lost their jobs, business,s that they have built for years. They then risk losing their homes and the stress can break up families. I can see a big fall out coming and places like community centres and churches are going to be in more demand than ever.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In China people were quarantined in their apartment buildings and had to use food delivery services. They called for someone to buy food in the market for them, then got a call when the delivery was there, then went down to the entrance. The delivery person set the food down on the concrete and backed away. The customer picked it up and returned to the building.

People are afraid they will be on lockdown and unable to shop.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good point I always thought the mark though would need to be on the body, as well as of course worldwide ( everyone using the same system., but then again I far from claim to know that stuff.
That may be the case in the end. But I think this environment is ideal for it to be brought in. It may start with a card but end up being inserted into the body somewhere with technology making microchips nowadays. It may be that due to security and people losing cards or having them stolen by others who want to get more stuff and sell them on the black market that they realize the only full-proof way in having it on the body somewhere.

Upvote 0