Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Stephen Hawkings played football?

Wouldn't stopping boxing and football be against
The Consistent Ethic of Life?
what if guving up that liberty, say when you are about to die for it could be seen as a stratrgy to rest and regroup and live to fight another day, maybe with better odds or resupply or to wait for an ally who is on the way to take your back?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The consistent ethic of life, first seen in the 1980's, the ideology opposes abortion, capital punishment, assisted suicide, economic injustice, and euthanasia. Adherents are opposed, at the very least, to unjust war, while some adherents also profess pacifism.

What do you think?
I adhere to it, though I'm not a pacifist.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good topic, though.

Pro-choicers frequently deride pro-lifers for only being pro-life up until the point of birth. But the Consistent Life Ethic (or Seamless Garment, in reference to Jesus' robe that was seamless) is the answer to that. We support a strong social safety net to help poor people who have children they can't afford, many support true universal healthcare, oppose the death penalty, oppose euthanasia, oppose most (some oppose all) wars etc.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Good topic, though.

Pro-choicers frequently deride pro-lifers for only being pro-life up until the point of birth. But the Consistent Life Ethic (or Seamless Garment, in reference to Jesus' robe that was seamless) is the answer to that. We support a strong social safety net to help poor people who have children they can't afford, many support true universal healthcare, oppose the death penalty, oppose euthanasia, oppose most (some oppose all) wars etc.

Can I inquire why the opposition for euthanasia? Is it a blanket opposition?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can I inquire why the opposition for euthanasia? Is it a blanket opposition?
There may be some variation on that point. The original CLE was created within a Catholic framework, so naturally the Church's opposition to euthanasia was incorporated. Not looking at it theologically, but just practically, there are fears that euthanasia could change from being patient-decided to family-decided, doctor-decided, or ultimately state-decided. That would be my main fear: that it could be morphed into a societal expectation that old and ill people should be euthanized so they aren't a burden anymore. Even if it's not forced, it could be a social or family pressure that's applied to make people do it who otherwise would not have.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There may be some variation on that point. The original CLE was created within a Catholic framework, so naturally the Church's opposition to euthanasia was incorporated.

Makes sense.
Not looking at it theologically, but just practically, there are fears that euthanasia could change from being patient-decided to family-decided, doctor-decided, or ultimately state-decided.

Understandable but it seems to me more practical to be against those things happening then just being against all euthanasia. That seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That would be my main fear: that it could be morphed into a societal expectation that old and ill people should be euthanized so they aren't a burden anymore. Even if it's not forced, it could be a social or family pressure that's applied to make people do it who otherwise would not have.

I honestly find it hard to conceptualize that such a thing could happen. That anyone would pressure another to end their life before they choose just strikes me as ... I don't even have a word o describe it.

Upvote 0

HermanNeutics13

May 8, 2013
✟32,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am an adherent mostly, except am more economically conservative than many in the movement. But I certainly think we need a culture of life that apposes abortion, unjust war, euthanasia and the death penalty. It doesn't make sense how most people oppose some of these but not the others, they might oppose abortion but support the wars, or oppose the wars but are pro-choice on abortion. The death penalty, I can understand how opposing abortion and supporting the death penalty is in theory not a contradiction, but there are risks to the innocent anyway.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Almost No One in the US Believes in a ‘Consistent Ethic of Life’

78693.png

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Initiative on Catholic Social Thought and Public Life is a unique effort to promote dialogue at the intersection of faith and public life, provide leadership on Catholic social thought and national and global issues, build bridges across political, religious, and ideological lines, and encourage a new generation of Catholic lay leaders to see their faith as an asset in pursuing the common good.

Annual Report 2020-2021

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I am in the 10% opposed to abortion and the death penalty. Assisted suicide at least has the desire of the person dying and some illnesses are worse than death. I would not want to impose a legal ban on such a decision. But I am still open to the other view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The consistent ethic of life, first seen in the 1980's, the ideology opposes abortion, capital punishment, assisted suicide, economic injustice, and euthanasia. Adherents are opposed, at the very least, to unjust war, while some adherents also profess pacifism.

What do you think?
I am more of a "consistent ethic of death" kind of guy.

Upvote 0