• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Consistent Ethic of Life

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Usethepen, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    The consistent ethic of life, first seen in the 1980's, the ideology opposes abortion, capital punishment, assisted suicide, economic injustice, and euthanasia. Adherents are opposed, at the very least, to unjust war, while some adherents also profess pacifism.

What do you think?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire Well-Known Member

+118
    Celtic Catholic
    Married
    I don't support it

3. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+11,548
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust - we are all going to die. For me, quality of life counts for more than mere staving off death until the last possible second.

4. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,053
    Humanist
    Private
  5. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Why not?

6. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    Have you ever heard of Jim Wallis ?

7. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    It promotes evil. Mindlessly being in favour of mere life is wrong, and to force it on others can be devastating. It promotes rules over people, and legalism over compassion, and oppression over liberty. It is used to treat the ill and old worse than animals.

If a death is unjust, it is unjust for a reason, not just because mere life is magical.

8. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private

God gave us the marijuana plant and the opium poppy to stop pain.

9. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+8,992
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Please tell me, how do pain relievers stop the waisting misery that ALS inflicts on humans and why the state should have the right to force people to suffer needlessly?

10. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    ALS is caused by hits to the head, over and over again.
    Yet boxing and football are not stopped.

11. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+8,992
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    That has nothing to do with the question I asked.

12. Paradoxum

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    What is your point? Even the best painkillers can't stop all pain you know. You can still be in terrible pain. There there is also the problem of dignity. There are other reasons, other than pain, to rationally choose to die.

Their life, their choice.

[​IMG]

13. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire Well-Known Member

+118
    Celtic Catholic
    Married
    I am pro-legalized abortion and anti-capital punishment, so the "consistent" bit I can't get with.

14. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
  15. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+11,548
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    You can certainly get brain damaged from repeated concussions, but is that ALS?

And?

16. All Englands Skies

All Englands Skies Christian-Syndicalist

+459
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    It premotes evil?

Seriously where do you get off saying that?

Every system of believe promotes its "rules over people" and "morals", including your left wing ideologies. Something your lot feel free to try and force down the throats of us who dont agree with you, but others cant?.

I can claim Secularism premotes evil then does it?

This ethic of life is an ideology, which the followers of course try to make others agree with them, they're not however some armed insurrection group, killing innocent people are forcing their way of life onto you.

You wonder why I slate the left so much and this is a typical example, basically someone who disagrees with the left's values are "evil" and/or "abnormal"

you're either niave, ignorant or bigotted to call them evil, they're not like Nazis or anything.

17. All Englands Skies

All Englands Skies Christian-Syndicalist

+459
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single

I am morally against abortion, but leave it up to the individual choice.

I am also against the death penalty.

18. Paradoxum

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Cos I'm special. :D

I consider myself more liberal than left-wing. What of my morals promotes rules over people? Though I'm not sure if you know my morals well enough to answer that.

Well you can, but isn't is secularism that gives us religious freedom?

No, but they use the government to control others by the power of government. I would have no problem with them trying to convince others. My problem is with the old and sick being treated worse than animals, and being forced to needless suffer against their will. They give the ownership of other peoples lives to the government. I consider that at least unjust, and sometimes disgusting.

I don't necessarily consider myself leftist. I'm more concerned with social freedoms than economic justice. If you mean me.

I don't mind your disagreement. If I support the right to die you can call me a murderer is you want. But if you try to prevent that by the power of law, I will call that specific moral of yours 'evil'.

I don't call most other legal disagreements 'evil'. If you were against the legalisation of drugs I wouldn't consider that evil. If you are against same sex-marriage, I don't consider that evil.

By the way, I'm not saying the people are evil. The moral opinion is. I consider the denial of the 'right to die' up there with slavery, and close to torture in extreme cases. Perhaps the treatment of the old and sick as lower than animals is comparable to Nazis. (By which I mean, we allow euthanasia for animals in pain, etc).

If someone in the most extreme of suffering begged another for death, and it was denied, I would wonder if the second person with either a coward, completely self-centred, or a monster.

19. SPB1987

SPB1987 Newbie

+26
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    ^^^^This^^^^

20. SPB1987

SPB1987 Newbie

+26
    Christian
    Married