✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Setting the Record straight on saint Matthias

In this opening topic, I am going to be discussing the notion that the apostles consecrating Matthias to replace Judas was “a mistake” As some have suggested and preached from the pulpit, "If only they would have waited... the Holy Spirit would have picked Saul of Tarsus".

(I have heard this view preached from many Charismatics such as Bill Hamon and his followers and affiliates. and Evangelist Perry Stone, but strangely enough also from Cessationist apologist and Charismatic critic Justin Peters in one of his videos. (This writing was originally a Blogging series I did on Facebook (using my Facebook Wall as a Blog))

Consecrating Matthias was not a mistake.
#1 Most people who try to second guess the Apostles in the book of Acts do so because they say "Matthias disappears from history" after that point, because only after that he is mentioned once more in passing in the Bible and then never again.
The problem with this view is it assumes that the only Christian history worth reading is recorded in the Bible and assumes the Bible goes to get detail to record everything noteworthy in the world. I strongly disagree with this spurious reasoning and have two objections to it.
Objection 1) This is a myth that even the Bible refutes.

John 21:25
"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” Just as the Bible does not claim to exhaustive in its record of Jesus ministry, we should likewise expect the same for the early history of the Church especially since that history takes place over a much greater expanse of time.

Objection 2) The Bible only records events in the immediate Roman world (lots of lands lay outside that area),
History on this subject is admittedly not unanimous, but of the Matthian legends probably the best (most reliable) speaks of his traveling to Cappadocia (Turkey) and establishing a church in the region then continuing on to the region of the Caspian Sea. He is revered by the people of Georgia and other Christians in the Caucus as being their patron saint of the area and has a grave site at a roman fort of Gonio pictured below.

False Claim #2 “Choosing Matthias was a mistake if only the disciples would have waited the Holy Spirit would have EVENTUALLY chosen Saul.” People who say this actually assume that the disciples were operating from human wisdom and not according to the Holy Spirit. This point of view is ignorant on several accounts. In this post, I will remind people what the Bible ACTUALLY says.

Luke 24:45
Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.

John 20:22 ►
And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Acts 1:
1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, AFTER GIVING INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.

Acts 1:15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters,[d] the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:“‘May his place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in it,’[e]and,“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[f]

The Meaning of the Twelve Apostles (Matthias consecration was not a mistake).
Many people make false claims like the ones regarding Matthias because they don’t appreciate New Testament Types and symbols. The number of the Apostles had to be twelve because the Gospel was first sent to Israel. And twelve is the number that signifies that since there were twelve tribes that came from of the 12 ancient sons of Israel (Jacob). It was therefore important for that necessary for that number to be completed before Pentecost otherwise an important piece of Biblical symbolism would have been broken. Not doing this would be like Moses striking the Rock a second time. He was kept out of the promised land not just for accidentally contradicting God, but that action spoiled a Prophetic Shadow. Jesus “The Rock” was struck only once and not twice (John 19:34).

Saint Paul’s Typology
Acts 9:15 ►New International Version
But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel.

One aspect of Biblical numerological symbolism is when you exceed a number. The number seven is the number of perfection. It is the “fullness of time” for an event etc. If you add one to that, you actually symbolize entering into a new age, time or dispensation. And that really is the case for saint Paul being “the apostle of the Gentiles”.

Myth # 3, “The Apostles cast lots to select Matthias. This was an Old Testament practice that was obsolete.” “They should have sought a prophetic word.”

This objection is nothing more than pure modern western cultural bias at work. Because we like things personalized in our society, we assume that is the most advanced and most spiritual way of doing things. Casting lots was a well-accepted practice for seeking God’s Will in ancient times and for making decisions that are free from personal bias. Lots were cast in many situations where interpersonal conflict could happen, (like dividing land) and during various times for the tabernacle and temple ritual ceremonies.

Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the LORD.

Proverbs 18:18
The cast lot puts an end to strife and decides between the mighty ones.

People who make this claim often fail to appreciate how many times “prophetic words” given by various ministers today are inaccurate, or colored by personal bias of the one giving them. It only took me a few years in the Charismatic movement years go to see how people often prophecy out of their own wishes, passions and opinions. If you consider that this event took place just before Pentecost and was needed to properly symbolize and set up that event, most likely presumably something that would have been covered by Jesus in his stay with the Apostles in between his Resurrection and Ascension, then it is not surprising why it was used at that time.

·

Last edited:

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I tend to think of Mattias as that one tribe that had part of their land before the jordan, and some after the jordan. Mattias is the parcel after entering the promise type deal. Paul is part of the sign of Jonas.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had not heard of anyone declaring the selection of Mattias to have been a mistake by the apostles.

As you've indicated, there was no spirituality problem with their selection method for their time.

I do think it was not the intention of the Holy Spirit for the apostles to cluster in Jerusalem as they did, and Jesus had explicitly given them the command to spread around the world. The first effect of Saul of Tarsus was to force Christians out of Jerusalem, and that, too, was probably the intention of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0