Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is a connection between the Sabbath and Creation week as seen in Exodus 20:11

And there is a connection between the Gospel and Creation week as expressed in the Sabbath commandment quoted in Rev 14:6-7

So how fundamental to the Gospel - is the Sabbath?

Obviously the Gen 2:1-3 Sabbath is before the Gospel - but how is it that the "everlasting gospel" message of Rev 14:6-7 is proclaiming the Sabbath fact?

========================

An interesting search result:

BibleGateway -- NIV

key in search term exactly as this -- including where I put the quotes

• "made the heavens" the earth the sea and

Notice how many show up... in the NT (Exactly 3) and the last one is Rev 14.
The first one in the Bible is Ex 20:11 And the only other one in the entire Bible is Neh 9:6 which is also a direct quote from the Sabbath commandment

Last edited:

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously the Gen 2:1-3 Sabbath is before the Gospel - but how is it that the "everlasting gospel" message of Rev 14:6-7 is proclaiming the Sabbath fact?
I don't feel that they are related. But I also don't think that it not being mentioned there necessarily means it is not eternal.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In Rev 14:6-7 we have this
6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven with an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation, tribe, , and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth, and sea and springs of waters.

In Ex 20:11 the Sabbath Commandment says "11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy"

Rev 14 is one of 3 or 4 places in the NT where some part of the Sabbath commandment is quoted directly. And it also connects worship with it - as does Lev 23:3 connect holy convocation with the Sabbath (and so also does Isaiah 66:23)

But it is interesting that it is connected with the "eternal gospel" and interesting that Gal 1:6-9 says there is "only one" Gospel.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven with an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation, tribe, , and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth, and sea and springs of waters.

In Ex 20:11 the Sabbath Commandment says "11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy"

Rev 14 is one of 3 or 4 places in the NT where some part of the Sabbath commandment is quoted directly. And it also connects worship with it - as does Lev 23:3 connect holy convocation with the Sabbath and so also does Isaiah 66:23

But it is interesting that it is connected with the "eternal gospel" and Gal 1:6-9 says there is "only one" Gospel.
I honestly don't see how the Sabbath is quoted directly in Rev 14. I know the "Three Angels" message is important to SDA, so maybe I am missing it?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I put the section "in red" in Rev 14:7 that is a quote from Ex 20:11.

It is those two sections in red between Rev 14 and Ex 20 that I am talking about.

BibleGateway -- NASB

The first one in the Bible is Ex 20:11 And the only other one in the entire Bible is Neh 9:6 which is also a direct quote from the Sabbath commandment

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, ok....agree to disagree on this point. I personally see it as a literary construction done on purpose by a Jewish writer for a Jewish audience that would be familiar with it, not as a reference to the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Hb 4:1
We may be afraid then, lest at some time, a promise being left of entering into His stopping, anyone o of you may be seeming to be deficient.

(CLV) Hb 4:2
For we also have been evangelized, even as those also. But the word heard does not benefit those hearers, not having been blended~ together with faith in those who hear.

(CLV) Hb 4:3
Then we who believe are entering into the stopping, according as He has declared, "As I swear in My indignation, `If they shall be entering into My stopping!'" although the works occur from the disruption of the world.

(CLV) Hb 4:4
For He has declared somewhere concerning the seventh thus: And God stops "on the seventh day from all His works."

(CLV) Hb 4:5
And in this again, "If they shall be entering into My stopping!"

(CLV) Hb 4:6
Since, then, it is left for some to be entering into it, and those to whom the evangel was formerly brought did not enter because of stubbornness,

(CLV) Hb 4:7
He is again specifying a certain day, "Today"—saying in David after so much time, according as has been declared before, "Today, if ever His voice you should be hearing, You should not be hardening your hearts."

(CLV) Hb 4:8
For if Joshua causes them to stop, He would not have spoken concerning another day after these things.

(CLV) Hb 4:9
Consequently a sabbatism is left for the people of God.

(CLV) Hb 4:10
For he who is entering into His stopping, he also stops from his works even as God from His own.

(CLV) Hb 4:11
We should be endeavoring, then, to be entering into that stopping, lest anyone should be falling into the same example of stubbornness.

I believe that it is no coincidence that YHWH presents the seventh day Shabbat at the top of all of his rehearsals outlined in Leviticus 23.

• Agree
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is those two sections in red between Rev 14 and Ex 20 that I am talking about.

BibleGateway -- NASB

Ah, ok....agree to disagree on this point. I personally see it as a literary construction done on purpose by a Jewish writer for a Jewish audience that would be familiar with it, not as a reference to the Sabbath.
I don't see it either. One can say the wording can make one think of the wording of the 4th commandment. And that might be the intent of the Author. But to say they quote the forth Commandment, considering the wording differs so much is a stretch in my opinion. Rev 14:7 does not even line up with the Ex 20:11 in the LXX. Thanks for the Study minute. Nice addition to this mornings devotion. Praise God!

Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Neh 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Exod 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Rev 14 is one of 3 or 4 places in the NT where some part of the Sabbath commandment is quoted directly. And it also connects worship with it - as does Lev 23:3 connect holy convocation with the Sabbath (and so also does Isaiah 66:23)

But it is interesting that it is connected with the "eternal gospel" and interesting that Gal 1:6-9 says there is "only one" Gospel.
Yes, I think they are related. In the RevelationsNow! series, Pastor Doug also touched on these correlating scriptures. In the end, it will all come down to worship. Everything is set in place now, so I think changes on our freedoms and worship will be coming soon.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ah, ok....agree to disagree on this point. .

A lot of Bibles tend to help the reader notice when something is using the same language as an OT text, but sometimes they miss a few examples.

6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven with an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation, tribe, , and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth, and sea and springs of waters.”

Ex 20:11 the Sabbath Commandment says "11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day; for that reason the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy"

Rev 14 is one of 3 or 4 places in the NT where some part of the Sabbath commandment is quoted directly.

Yes, I think they are related. .

I don't see it either. One can say the wording can make one think of the wording of the 4th commandment. And that might be the intent of the Author...

something to think about

Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Neh 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Exod 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It us easy to see that Ex 20:11 comes before Neh 9:6 so Nehemiah is not "introducing this Bible fact" but rather referencing it - as his readers would have known having that same context for it.

In the same way Rev 14 would not be introducing the reader to the fact that the Bible teaches that God "made heaven and earth" but it would already be known to those who were reading the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums