✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Ga 3:23
Now before the coming of faith we were garrisoned under law, being locked up together for the faith about to be revealed.

Those who transgress the law are under the law. Those who are obedient to the law aren't under the curses of the law.

Now all are under the law, as all have sinned, before coming to faith.

What does this abstract word faith, of Greek philosophy, mean from a Hebraic understanding? If we want to understand YHWH's message; we would do well to approach that understanding in the language, and from the culture, in which his word was given.

Greek is an ethereal abstract language. Hebrew is a concrete language. The concrete is what we can perceive with our five senses. Faith can mean many things in the imaginations of those who think in abstract terms.

The concrete Hebrew word, for the abstract abstract Greek word "faith," is emunah H530.

The first place where it appears in scripture is in Exodus.

(CLV) Ex 17:12
When the hands of Moses became heavy, they took a stone and placed it beneath him, and he sat on it. As for Aaron and Hur, they upheld i his hands, one on this side and one on that side. So it came to be that his hands were constant (H530) until the sunset.

It literally means firmness. Moses held his hands firm.

The root of the word emunah is aman (H539). Aman means firm.

It's used in Isaiah to describe something being nailed in place.

(CLV) Isa 22:23
I will fasten him like a peg in a sure place (H539), and he will become a throne of glory to his father's house.

So Paul is saying that before standing firm we were transgressing the Torah, thereby being under the curses.

Let's see what Paul says about standing firm in righteousness.

(CLV) Ro 10:6
Yet the righteousness of faith is saying thus: You may not be saying in your heart, Who will be ascending into heaven? that is, to be leading Christ down

What is righteousness?

Definition of righteous

1 : acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin
Definition of RIGHTEOUS

Paul is quoting the Torah. Paul taught exclusively from the TaNaK.

Let's take a look at what he is quoting in regards to defining the "righteousness of faith."

(CLV) Dt 30:11
For this instruction that I am enjoining on you today, it is neither too difficult for you, nor is it too far off.

(CLV) Dt 30:12
It is neither in the heavens for you to say: Who shall ascend to the heavens for us and take it for us and announce it to us that we may do it?

(CLV) Dt 30:13
Nor is it across the sea for you to say: Who shall cross across the sea for us and take it for us and announce it to us that we may do it?

(CLV) Dt 30:14
For the word is exceedingly near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, to do it.

(CLV) Dt 30:15
See! I have set before you today life and good, death and evil.

(CLV) Dt 30:16
If you should hearken to the instructions of Yahweh your Elohim that I am enjoining on you today, to love Yahweh your Elohim, to walk in His ways and to observe His instructions, His statutes and His ordinances, then you will live and multiply, and Yahweh your Elohim will bless you in the land where you are entering to tenant it.

Those who are firm in their obedience to Torah, are not under the curses for transgressing the Torah.

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Deuteronomy 4:TLV
11 “You came near and stood at the bottom of the mountain while the mountain was blazing with
fire up to the heart of the heavens—darkness, cloud, and fog.
12 Adonai spoke to you from the midst of the fire. The sound of words you heard, but a form you
did not see—only a voice.
13 He declared to you His covenant, which He commanded you to do—the Ten Words—
and He wrote them on two tablets of stone.

32 “Indeed, ask now about the former days that were before you, from the day that God created man on the earth, and ask from one end of the sky to the other. Has there ever been such a great thing as this, or has anything like it been heard?
33 Has a people ever heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard—and lived?
34 Or has any god ever tried to come to take for himself a nation from within a nation—by trials, by signs and wonders, and by war, and by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and by great terrors—like all that Adonai your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35 You were shown, so that you might know that Adonai is God—there is no other besides Him.
36 From the heavens He made you hear His voice to instruct you, and on earth He caused you to see His great fire—you heard His words from the midst of the fire.

The Expectation is to commit one's complete trust, based on what you have heard!
Hebrews 4:11. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same
example of unbelief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟112,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Expectation is to commit one's complete trust, based on what you have heard!

Even the mouth of the Most High can be spoken of in concrete terms if one understands the symbolism. The Torah scroll, when rolled up, if you imagine it lengthwise horizontally, looks similar to a set of lips. When you open the scroll the mouth opens. When you begin to read the Most High speaks through His Word.

Take heed therefore how you hear, (Luke 8:18a). :D

Deuteronomy 8:3 KJV
3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
(CLV) Ga 3:23
Now before the coming of faith we were garrisoned under law, being locked up together for the faith about to be revealed.

Those who transgress the law are under the law. Those who are obedient to the law aren't under the curses of the law.

Now all are under the law, as all have sinned, before coming to faith.

What does this abstract word faith, of Greek philosophy, mean from a Hebraic understanding? If we want to understand YHWH's message; we would do well to approach that understanding in the language, and from the culture, in which his word was given.

Greek is an ethereal abstract language. Hebrew is a concrete language. The concrete is what we can perceive with our five senses. Faith can mean many things in the imaginations of those who think in abstract terms.

The concrete Hebrew word, for the abstract abstract Greek word "faith," is emunah H530.

The first place where it appears in scripture is in Exodus.

(CLV) Ex 17:12
When the hands of Moses became heavy, they took a stone and placed it beneath him, and he sat on it. As for Aaron and Hur, they upheld i his hands, one on this side and one on that side. So it came to be that his hands were constant (H530) until the sunset.

It literally means firmness. Moses held his hands firm.

The root of the word emunah is aman (H539). Aman means firm.

It's used in Isaiah to describe something being nailed in place.

(CLV) Isa 22:23
I will fasten him like a peg in a sure place (H539), and he will become a throne of glory to his father's house.

So Paul is saying that before standing firm we were transgressing the Torah, thereby being under the curses.

Let's see what Paul says about standing firm in righteousness.

(CLV) Ro 10:6
Yet the righteousness of faith is saying thus: You may not be saying in your heart, Who will be ascending into heaven? that is, to be leading Christ down

What is righteousness?

Definition of righteous

1 : acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin
Definition of RIGHTEOUS

Paul is quoting the Torah. Paul taught exclusively from the TaNaK.

Let's take a look at what he is quoting in regards to defining the "righteousness of faith."

(CLV) Dt 30:11
For this instruction that I am enjoining on you today, it is neither too difficult for you, nor is it too far off.

(CLV) Dt 30:12
It is neither in the heavens for you to say: Who shall ascend to the heavens for us and take it for us and announce it to us that we may do it?

(CLV) Dt 30:13
Nor is it across the sea for you to say: Who shall cross across the sea for us and take it for us and announce it to us that we may do it?

(CLV) Dt 30:14
For the word is exceedingly near to you, in your mouth and in your heart, to do it.

(CLV) Dt 30:15
See! I have set before you today life and good, death and evil.

(CLV) Dt 30:16
If you should hearken to the instructions of Yahweh your Elohim that I am enjoining on you today, to love Yahweh your Elohim, to walk in His ways and to observe His instructions, His statutes and His ordinances, then you will live and multiply, and Yahweh your Elohim will bless you in the land where you are entering to tenant it.

Those who are firm in their obedience to Torah, are not under the curses for transgressing the Torah.
I'm not sure it's the language as perhaps it is the culture, or the way they thought.

Anyway, my favorite illustration is "slow to anger" (slow to "nose"). Hebrew tends to look at the concrete results (what anger produces...think flaring nostrils) while "anger" itself is an abstract word.

We see this with God hating in the Hebrew language (or doing "evil" towards Israel).

Anyway, this thread just made me think of that one. You need to agree. Don't make me nose. You wouldn't like me when I nose. :D

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure it's the language as perhaps it is the culture, or the way they thought.

The language and the culture are expressions of the thought.

• Agree
Reactions: John Caldwell
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
North Augusta
✟53,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The language and the culture are expressions of the thought.
I agree. This is one reason I believe the availability of language tools carries with it a high potential for error. Essentially words are symbols for thoughts. When we forget that there is a difference between "us and them" we risk replacing the thoughts that ancient words convey with our own thoughts.

At one time we, as a whole, leaned on those disciplined in particular languages (as you seem to be with Hebrew). But now people do "word studies" with a few clicks of a mouse and come up with very Western ideas about ancient Eastern thoughts.

Sorry for rambling. I agree with you here.

Upvote 0