1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Church's reputation for guilt

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by VincentIII, Oct 2, 2021.

1. VincentIII

VincentIII New Member

+22
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The first time I became aware of the RCC's reputation for guilt was when I heard Robin Williams' joke about the Episcopalian faith being like Catholicism lite, with half the guilt. I didn't get it at the time, because I didn't feel weighed down by guilt. I lapsed some time later. When I came back to the Church and did some studying on the Internet, I suddenly felt what Robin was talking about. I think it was reading a guide for an examination of conscience that put me there. I came away from it feeling like my life was expected to be on rails. I've since realized that the expectations probably aren't as extreme as my first reading of the guide led me to believe. However, I've known some Catholics who seemed to like their Catholicism heavy on the guilt and authoritarianism. Some, certainly not all. But I do understand the reputation for guilt now.

What's your take on Roman Catholicism's reputation for guilt?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. sandman

sandman Senior Member

+853
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    US-Constitution
    As an X Catholic I would love to answer, but this site restricts me from doing so. Maybe your question is part of the reason for an X.

Although the RCC does state once…. Catholic always Catholic.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  3. spicoli

spicoli ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+10,674
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I think what the secular world calls "Catholic guilt" would be what we call scrupulosity.

4. VincentIII

VincentIII New Member

+22
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I think you're right, and that's where I was after I read that guide to examination of conscience. Thanks for pointing it out. I looked up Catholic scrupulosity and found this helpful article on it:

Scrupulosity: The Occupational Hazard of the Catholic Moral Life

As the article says, scrupulosity is easy to fall into. The hazard increases if you're prone to anxiety, which I am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Michie

Michie Standing by the Ukraine. Supporter

+47,549
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  6. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,889
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    If one has done bad things then one is guilty and should even feel guilty. But what the Catholic Church is is a reconciliation machine where one disposes of guilt and of guilt feelings in the confessional. Guilt is something to be done away with by the blood of Christ. Guilt feelings are necessary and even essential for us to recognize that guilt. It's not supposed to be the norm of our existence. The norm is supposed to be that of confident sons and daughters of the Father.

If you are stuck in guilt feelings you have only gotten part way through the process. Going all the way unburdens you of the guilt feelings and of the guilt. There is where the joy starts, having been reconciled with God and living a life of grace. You are powerless to get rid of the guilt by yourself. But God wants to take it from you and crush it so it is no more. That's the whole idea of the redemption. By the blood of Jesus this is possible. So go to confession and let God work.

7. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,889
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity