The Church's Civil War between those who follow Pope Benedict and those who follow Pope Francis

What do you think will happen in the Church?

• Schism between the Trads and those following Pope Francis.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Pope Francis will be formally corrected by the Church (hopefully he will recant)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Benedict will become more vocal and bring Francis back towards a center road

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church is going to go into a new era of understanding under Pope Francis

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Things will simply continue til the next pope, who will smooth things over

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • God only knows

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Or if you don't like the way I worded it, maybe some other way does it for you. Conservatives verses Progressives, or whatever. The point is that there has been a serious and marked change been the last administration and the present one. And people are not happy. And there is a lot of confusion. And anger. And threats. And counter threats.

In your own words, how do you think the Church will deal with it (or not deal with it)? What is going to happen? Short term? Longer term? I don't know about you, but intellectualizing is one my best defense mechanisms for anxiety.

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,585.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Please forgive my ignorance, but haven't there ever been other Popes with more questionable statements than Francis throughout the history of the church? If the church didn't suffer schism then, wouldn't it be strange if it did under Francis? :)

Although, I can appreciate that in a wider sense, many Christians are becoming increasingly divided between liberal and orthodox.... so who knows!

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
As it should be. It's a ridiculous title and OP.

I'm not sure how ridiculous it really is, but that doesn't really matter as it's against the OBOB rules.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟66,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wait - there's a civil war going on ?

How did I get this far out of the loop ?

Do I need a weapon ?

Which side am I on ?

Is my brother and best friend on the other side ?

Is Lincoln involved ?

I need to know these things.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well if this board is any indication of a "civil war" everyone will just split up and backbite one another. I do not think Open Heart meant anything untoward by posting about an obvious divide in the Church. It is weird but I'm sure it is not the first time this kind of thing has happened.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I think the Church will go on as she always has. Popes come and go.
Yeah, that's what I answered. I think all the talk of schism is overblown. But I continue to hear people freaking out.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

NewLove

Jul 11, 2017
Indiana
✟18,598.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no divide that I see. At my Parish and the Parishes I visit, there are Christians giving their time and talents to the Lord to serve Him and His children. On the internet, bitter extremists will fight over what they thing this Pope or that Pope should do, but in the real world people are far less divided and less likely to get on soapboxes about their pet agendas.

As always, the people with faith are in the streets doing the thankless hard work while those who serve themselves bicker.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no divide that I see. At my Parish and the Parishes I visit, there are Christians giving their time and talents to the Lord to serve Him and His children. On the internet, bitter extremists will fight over what they thing this Pope or that Pope should do, but in the real world people are far less divided and less likely to get on soapboxes about their pet agendas.

As always, the people with faith are in the streets doing the thankless hard work while those who serve themselves bicker.
LOL You are right about that. The Catholic in the pew cares very little for theological disputes. If I could make some generalizations, the Catholic in the pew can't articulte the Trinity, uses contraception, does not attend Mass faithfully, but holds their Catholc faith in high value and simply assumes the Church will continue as it always has. :)

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know. People tend to do that for whatever reasons. I hear a lot of it in liturgical classes, etc. either the Lord is in control or He isn't. It does not give us a free pass to shirk our duties but it is certainly not a ticket to be a jerk either.
Yeah, that's what I answered. I think all the talk of schism is overblown. But I continue to hear people freaking out.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken; then will appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory; and he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." - Mt 24:29-31

• Winner
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Well if this board is any indication of a "civil war" everyone will just split up and backbite one another. I do not think Open Heart meant anything untoward by posting about an obvious divide in the Church. It is weird but I'm sure it is not the first time this kind of thing has happened.
if we could vote anonymously you might have more answers.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
t
Please forgive my ignorance, but haven't there ever been other Popes with more questionable statements than Francis throughout the history of the church? If the church didn't suffer schism then, wouldn't it be strange if it did under Francis? :)

Although, I can appreciate that in a wider sense, many Christians are becoming increasingly divided between liberal and orthodox.... so who knows!
The Church has indeed suffered schism; that's why we have Protestants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0