Status
Not open for further replies.

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
Uh, let's see, everything is significant would be the only answer to that. The disciples (Apostles) received the commission to evangelize the world (Acts 1:8) which also spoke of the fact that they would be martyrs.
The Holy Spirit became the indwelling Spirit that we know today, that's definitely significant to the church, because without it there would be no church. The name "Christians" is given for the first time in Acts 11, that's definitely got some significance. The book is full of accounts of the earliest church, and it's leaders, who were the greatest leaders of all time...
And this is coming way short as far as all the significance of the book, but my fave passage in the book of the acts is Acts 2:42, which I believe lays out the standard for the modern, fruit bearing church-
"And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."
That's a perfect outline for how a local community of believers should act. Learning the apostles' doctrine(the Bible), fellowshipping with fellow believers, taking of the Lord's Supper (breaking bread), and prayer. The verse before that also mentioned baptism, the other ordinance of the church explicitly commanded by Christ.
How can you go wrong if you follow these guidelines set out in scripture?

Soli Deo gloria!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by sola fide
Uh, let's see, everything is significant would be the only answer to that. The disciples (Apostles) received the commission to evangelize the world (Acts 1:8) which also spoke of the fact that they would be martyrs.
The Holy Spirit became the indwelling Spirit that we know today, that's definitely significant to the church, because without it there would be no church. The name "Christians" is given for the first time in Acts 11, that's definitely got some significance. The book is full of accounts of the earliest church, and it's leaders, who were the greatest leaders of all time...
And this is coming way short as far as all the significance of the book, but my fave passage in the book of the acts is Acts 2:42, which I believe lays out the standard for the modern, fruit bearing church-
"And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."
That's a perfect outline for how a local community of believers should act. Learning the apostles' doctrine(the Bible), fellowshipping with fellow believers, taking of the Lord's Supper (breaking bread), and prayer. The verse before that also mentioned baptism, the other ordinance of the church explicitly commanded by Christ.
How can you go wrong if you follow these guidelines set out in scripture?

Soli Deo gloria!

In your opinion are churches today anywhere close to the teachings of this early church? 

Upvote 0

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
Honestly, as a whole, I don't think the church is anywhere near the first century church. But that is to be expected to a degree considering the fact that the apostles the church was built upon were first hand witnesses of the resurrection of Christ.
I think our modern churches are usually one sided compared to the apostolic church. For example, I think my church is great when it comes to the guidelines set out in Acts 2:42, in that we have great fellowship, etc... but I do think we're on the short side when it comes to evangelism. Some churches are the exact opposite, focusing on evangelism and neglecting true deep fellowship, and the taking of the Lord's Supper. I think if we were truly commited to prayer though, all of these things would come naturally. But sadly I think the majority of the modern church falls well short of the standards of prayer set forth by the apostles. I am no different in this aspect, because I sometimes struggle with setting aside prayer time.
I think another thing we struggle at compared to the early church is squashing heresy before it has a chance to grow. With so much heretical teaching being spread abroad these days, it's hard to tell the real church from the tares. Luckily, Christ will sort all of that out in the end. I do know that there are many local bodies complying completely to the guidelines set out in the book of Acts. Sadly, I would say, the majority are not.

Soli Deo gloria!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by sola fide
Honestly, as a whole, I don't think the church is anywhere near the first century church. But that is to be expected to a degree considering the fact that the apostles the church was built upon were first hand witnesses of the resurrection of Christ.
I think our modern churches are usually one sided compared to the apostolic church. For example, I think my church is great when it comes to the guidelines set out in Acts 2:42, in that we have great fellowship, etc... but I do think we're on the short side when it comes to evangelism. Some churches are the exact opposite, focusing on evangelism and neglecting true deep fellowship, and the taking of the Lord's Supper. I think if we were truly commited to prayer though, all of these things would come naturally. But sadly I think the majority of the modern church falls well short of the standards of prayer set forth by the apostles. I am no different in this aspect, because I sometimes struggle with setting aside prayer time.
I think another thing we struggle at compared to the early church is squashing heresy before it has a chance to grow. With so much heretical teaching being spread abroad these days, it's hard to tell the real church from the tares. Luckily, Christ will sort all of that out in the end. I do know that there are many local bodies complying completely to the guidelines set out in the book of Acts. Sadly, I would say, the majority are not.

Soli Deo gloria!

What is worship like where you go to church?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by SUNSTONE
Thats what God's been telling me, that the church isn't what it is fully capable of being. BURN THE CHURCHS!!! Doh!!,I got a little carried away there. :p

What do you think about all of the different churches in this country and around the world.?

Do you believe the first century was like what we have today?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sola fide

neo-Puritan
Aug 2, 2002
✟660.00
Faith
Calvinist
Originally posted by The Bible is Right

What is worship like where you go to church?

It depends on what you mean by worship. We have tremendous prayer meetings, I consider that the most important form of worship. We have weekly prayer meetings on Wed. where we break off into cell groups and pray for one another and corporately. I really enjoy it.
If you were referring to our music program, which most people think of when they think of worship, we are fairly traditional.
A typical Sunday morning service would have about 3 or 4 hymns and a couple of regular praise songs, acompanied by a piano and guitar. It's pretty traditional, and even though I'm young, I really like it that way. It seems like the hymns don't always go over that well with the teenagers, but I think hymns are rich in doctrine, and that they don't need to be completely neglected. God bless.

Soli Deo gloria!

Upvote 0

TruelightUK

Tilter at religious windmills
The Church in the Book of Acts was not perfect - it was in the process of discovering what God intended it to be. The same is true of the Chruch today. They had disagreements and divsions - they just weren't as developed and regimented as today. They had problems with sin and rebelliousness. They experienced false teachers, financial exploitation etc. etc.

But they also had a real zeal for spreading the Gospel and, for the most part, received it enthusiastically, letting it become the motivating force in their life. They were committed to being the Church - together; sharing, caring , supporting, encouraging, rebuking and growing as the family of God, united in one heart and mind. Many individual churches are still like that (or aspire to be) today to a greater or lesser degree. Sadly, many are not, but have become 'weary in doing good', set in their ways, complacent and resistant to change, infiltrated with the standards and cares of this world.

May God strengthen what is good, tear down what is corrupt, inspire and renew the strength of the weary and faint hearted, and fill us with the joy, power and vision of his Holy Spirit to truly live as his people in this world.

Anthony

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.