Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'm in a discussion on another thread and it involves the statement that the Church cannot teach error because Jesus founded the Church. This is the classic Roman statement regarding their belief as being the Church which Jesus founded.

So, if this is true, what does this mean exactly? I say this because, for instance, at one time the Church in the East was filled with bishops teaching the Arian heresy. So bad it was that the phrase "Athanasius contra mundum" came to be because it was the world against Athanasius and the Bishop of Rome.

Does the idea of the Church being the "pillar and ground of truth" mean that no bishop ever will ever teach heresy? What am I missing here, because if this is the truth, neither the East nor the West has been exempt from embracing heresy and teaching it from time to time.

Need some help clearing up my thought processes on this one.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'm in a discussion on another thread and it involves the statement that the Church cannot teach error because Jesus founded the Church. This is the classic Roman statement regarding their belief as being the Church which Jesus founded.

So, if this is true, what does this mean exactly? I say this because, for instance, at one time the Church in the East was filled with bishops teaching the Arian heresy. So bad it was that the phrase "Athanasius contra mundum" came to be because it was the world against Athanasius and the Bishop of Rome.

Does the idea of the Church being the "pillar and ground of truth" mean that no bishop ever will ever teach heresy? What am I missing here, because if this is the truth, neither the East nor the West has been exempt from embracing heresy and teaching it from time to time.

The only thing that is infallable is God. Anything that concerns man is fallable.

At one time the Catholic Church used to teach that by giving money to the church you can earn forgiveness and salvation. I am not sure if this is still an official belief but I do not think it is taught. Regardless, it is clearly not correct belief. An infallable church would never teach that.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At one time the Catholic Church used to teach that by giving money to the church you can earn forgiveness and salvation. I am not sure if this is still an official belief but I do not think it is taught. Regardless, it is clearly not correct belief. An infallible church would never teach that.

It seems to me that a form of this is still kind of floating around in the promises that are made that if you wear a brown scapular or do other such acts you will never see the fires of hell. The same with indulgences, which appear to be a kind of buying one's way out of hell.

But....back to the OP. While I appreciate your input, i am really looking for an Orthodox response to this question.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that a form of this is still kind of floating around in the promises that are made that if you wear a brown scapular or do other such acts you will never see the fires of hell. The same with indulgences, which appear to be a kind of buying one's way out of hell.

But....back to the OP. While I appreciate your input, i am really looking for an Orthodox response to this question.
No problem. Just my 2 cents. I didn't even notice i was in this subforum.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Did the Church err, ultimately, or did She become established in the Truth after all? There will always be controversies, challenges that rise up against the Church, false prophets and wolves in sheep's clothing, making Truth difficult to be discerned even within the Church. The Holy Spirit resides within the Body, nonetheless, and the Spirit is infallible, keeping the Body of Christ, Who is the head of His Body, alive in the world until the end.

We put our faith in God to keep His Bride Holy. The Liturgy and Spiritual Life (Scripture, prayer, fasting, repentance, etc.) are the repositories of the True Faith. Our beliefs are fully expressed in and through these things, which we collectively call Holy Tradition. This is where we turn for Communion with Holy Spirit and to be lead into all Truth.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it does not mean that no bishop will teach heresy, and we know this because bishops have been heretics. but every time there is a heresy, no matter how widespread, there will always be a champion to proclaim the Truth.

Upvote 0