The church and history

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I find it sad as I study ancient history how often it is recorded that the church tried to hide or destroy evidence that it believe counterdicted the Bible instead trusting that if God was Truth that the evidence would work it out for itself.

When Jean-François Champollion, who decoded Eqyptian hieroglyphic was financed to go to Egypt on the condition that he didn't make public any information that was different than the church teachings. And now I learn that the first thing the priests did when finding hundreds of books written by the Mayans is burn them. No wonder there are so many people who believe that science and God are mutually exclusive.

The reality is that I find the science that so many people believe proves that the Bible is a fairy tale actually back my belief in God and the truth of the Bible. For example is the "scientific" belief that was all started as primative beings and evolved into to more complex and intelligent beings....versus the Biblical concept that man was created as a whole thinking man complete with art, language, and knowledge that is necessary to form an advanced society. The more ancient societies that are studied and discovered actually prove that they all had very complex knowledge, often even more advanced than ours. Even the cave art is being described as being advanced and not just primitive drawings. Even more interesting is that worldwide, the various forms of art have similarities and may even have a form of interconnected language. We would never say that the people of a society that does not have modern conveniences has "less intelligent" people who are less evolved. They just live differently with the very same brains and ability to learn as the average citizen living in the middle of western modern civilization.

I personally believe that God is able to teach us the Truth though our history and that it won't prove that God doesn't exist. And honestly, if it did...we have to accept that our god isn't any more real than the ones of Greek or Roman mythology. Faith says we accept the historical evidence as it exists and that we use the brains that God gave us to think about new possibilities, even new ways to read the Biblical messages that God has given us. How I read the Bible as a child is very different than how I read it as an adult. That doesn't mean the God's message has changed but rather my ability to understand God has matured and grown.

• Winner
Reactions: Ken Behrens

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone did this, in their turn, when they were in charge.

For the first time in human history (that we know of) Internet provides a censorship free environment where anyone can say anything at a minimal cost. And yet, now we find so much false information (like the recent US elections) being posted, that even international news agencies are no longer trustworthy.

What is truth and how is it found? Police officers investigating an accident, routinely speak to five witnesses and get five different versions. A certain percent of people have served time in prison, and been proved by later evidence that they were innocent, and yet they confessed and pled guilty.

Is there any reason to believe that our brains can find truth? We trust logic, but God is love and love is not logical.

Look at the story of your life as you tell it. What other facts might you include, and what might you leave out, if you wished to give your life a different meaning? When we get beyond just one life, to the lives of billions, how much more complicated are these choices?

I don't have any answers to all this. I am just trying to frame questions.

Upvote 0