✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nathan Duffy. The Christian Life is Monastic Life

Thoughts on this article? Are we laypeople called to sell all we have and give to the poor? How literally should we take St John Chrysostom’s saying that “the only barns we need are the stomachs of the poor” and St Basil’s saying “your unused coat and uneaten bread belong to the cold and hungry”?

Reactions: public hermit

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nathan Duffy. The Christian Life is Monastic Life

Thoughts on this article? Are we laypeople called to sell all we have and give to the poor? How literally should we take St John Chrysostom’s saying that “the only barns we need are the stomachs of the poor” and St Basil’s saying “your unused coat and uneaten bread belong to the cold and hungry”?

It was a good article in my opinion. It would seem that we're all called to either the married life, or the monastic life? I like the point he makes that regardless of which path we choose there will be a certain amount of asceticism in our lives if we're to attempt to live a liturgical, and sacramental life as part of the Church.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've encountered this same premise of equating marriage life with monasticism before. I don't recall exactly where, but I think it was part of some recommended reading from my former priest.
Good article and worth fleshing out some specific ways of application.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yikes! My life is trash comparing to that of monks'
Same here, it’s a pretty convicting standard
we do what we can as men in the world, and live not into excess, help the poor as we can.

pretty good article, I must say.
How do we put that into practice in reality? Is it excess to have more than one month’s rent in your bank account, or to have an emergency savings fund? Is it excess to have two jackets and a handful of sweatshirts? (St Basil would likely say yes.)
It was a good article in my opinion. It would seem that we're all called to either the married life, or the monastic life? I like the point he makes that regardless of which path we choose there will be a certain amount of asceticism in our lives if we're to attempt to live a liturgical, and sacramental life as part of the Church.
I do think it’s a really helpful reminder, especially in our increasingly material society. Christianity isn’t a life of comfort and ease, even though we (or at least I do) often act like it is
I've encountered this same premise of equating marriage life with monasticism before. I don't recall exactly where, but I think it was part of some recommended reading from my former priest.
I think I’ve also encountered these ideas before. Figuring out the application is definitely something I want to work on in my own life. Got any ideas besides literally selling everything I have and donating everything besides the amount I need for rent and food? (Or maybe that is the answer?)

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do we put that into practice in reality? Is it excess to have more than one month’s rent in your bank account, or to have an emergency savings fund? Is it excess to have two jackets and a handful of sweatshirts? (St Basil would likely say yes.)

I think that depends on why.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I believe it comes from St. John Chrysostom in his homilies on Genesis. Homily 21 I believe he equates marriage with monasticism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
can you elaborate a bit more on what some good and bad "why"s would be?

like if you have a job that requires or encourages more that one, say, shoe (like being in the military) because then you're not hoarding stuff for the sake of having stuff.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
like if you have a job that requires or encourages more that one, say, shoe (like being in the military) because then you're not hoarding stuff for the sake of having stuff.
So if you’re simply doing what is necessary for your job (so that you can pay bills, be charitable, etc), then that’s fine. Like a lawyer shouldn’t sell all his business suits and switch to a cassock, because his job requires him to wear business suits every day. Right?

So on the other hand what if one’s job requires only business casual - would it be excess to own more than a week’s worth of clothing, or to own a suit and tie that rarely get worn?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So if you’re simply doing what is necessary for your job (so that you can pay bills, be charitable, etc), then that’s fine. Like a lawyer shouldn’t sell all his business suits and switch to a cassock, because his job requires him to wear business suits every day. Right?

So on the other hand what if one’s job requires only business casual - would it be excess to own more than a week’s worth of clothing, or to own a suit and tie that rarely get worn?

I think we're getting too legalistic here. but I don't think it's wrong to have a suit you rarely use because there could be instances where you would need it.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think we're getting too legalistic here. but I don't think it's wrong to have a suit you rarely use because there could be instances where you would need it.
Fair enough. Thanks for your input, Father Matt!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A classical position, based in fact on Saint John Chrysostom and Saint John of the Ladder.
However even if lay life is a very serious calling the two callings are different: one is for salvation and the other is for sanctification. Of course, on both roads one can be saint as well as can end in hell. I just say that the targets are different - the different ways of life lead to different results.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A classical position, based in fact on Saint John Chrysostom and Saint John of the Ladder.
However even if lay life is a very serious calling the two callings are different: one is for salvation and the other is for sanctification. Of course, on both roads one can be saint as well as can end in hell. I just say that the targets are different - the different ways of life lead to different results.
Isn't salvation and santification the same thing?

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by this?

Isn't salvation and santification the same thing?

No. In an ELI5 style, salvation is 5 stars out of 10 while sanctification is 9 stars out of 10 (ok, Mother of God is 10 out of 10).

If we look closely to Christ's words, we will notice that He says in few occasions „IF you want to be perfect...” (sell everything you have and follow Me) and „not everyone understands this word” [...].
Also, He says „In the home of My Father there are a lot of different settlements/places”. I do not know the translation in English but in original μονή / μονές ("monί”) is „settlement” or the direct translation ...„monastery”.

• Informative
Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0