The Christian baker's unanswered legal argument: Why the strongest objections fail

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,647,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pressed for time, but while in a land of freedom, no one should be compelled to do business with anyone, even if merely on a whim even, etc. Even racism isn't overcome by forcing people, but is instead overcome by love and words and deeds in reality.

But....as Christians we know we are to continue loving people even if they are sinners (or even if we make guesses that way, a risky thing to do btw).

If we stopped loving people if they are sinners, we'd only love a few old people, and none more, here on Earth.

So when we are obeying Christ our Lord and loving a sinner, how might we interact with them?

Answer: in a truly friendly way, we should tell them the Good News of Christ that they might be saved. This can be done even in only a few words in some ways, at times.

Actually doing that. So while the baker may already be willing (it would appear from this article) to make them a cake without a theme he personally disapproves of, quite reasonably, he could bake them a generic cake without that theme and tell them the Good News. He might still get challenged, or possibly not, but even if he is challenged he will have done all the right things.

It's interesting to consider that in the scriptures there is nothing at all about gay marriage of course, not one bit.

And we do know we are not to add to scripture. It's a commandment in the OT.

What is in scripture is references to sexual immorality -- actual deeds or committing adultery in the heart. Not merely for instance a celibate love relationship (as an illustration). Often this issue is argued by people not seeming to realize the actual wordings in the scripture, about a particular detestable act that even male/female traditional married couples can do, and some do. So, they end up arguing against 'gay marriage', which isn't even a thing in the Bible at all. And, are they themselves free of every sexual sin? But all have sinned. All have fallen short. We all equally need Christ, you and I as much as anyone else.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if the "gay marriage" is with continence (has no sodomy intercourse)?

"Christians" "objecting" to "gay marriage" are objecting for reasons not in scripture unless they feel they can judge actions they do not know are happening.

Are we instructed to guess at other people's unknown actions and refuse to do business with them based on our guess?

I'm open to hear any argument that we can, but best I understand, we are not to do that, because it is not "judging correctly".

For now, I consider a 'religious' objection to mere 'gay marriage' not communicated to involve sodomy to be a non-Christian religious objection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The article makes a good point when they bring up the Jehovah Witnesses. They don't have to serve jury duty, go into the military, salute the flag or vote. But, they were willing to go to jail for their rights. This may end up being the case for some Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's interesting to consider that in the scriptures there is nothing at all about gay marriage of course, not one bit.
Right. Only Jesus speaking of a man and a woman becoming one flesh. As to the rest of your post, I think I agree.

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An interesting article.

Just my humble opinion: The fact that this situation has escalated to the Supreme Court of the USA is ludicrous. It is indicative of the condition of our society. Had this been an interaction between adults, it could have been resolved simply.

Had the baker simply said "I am sorry, I am uncomfortable creating a cake for your event. My colleague across the street makes really nice cakes. Let me make a call for you. I am sure he will be happy to accommodate your wishes."

Or, had the couple seeking the cake said "If you are uncomfortable creating a cake for us, we will take our business elsewhere."

The situation would have resolved itself by all people involved acting like adults in polite society.

Today, everyone on both sides of any argument have to let the world know just how offended they are and that society needs to adjust itself to their wishes.

The driving force behind both sides (in my opinion) are the lawyers that are making a fortune wasting society's time with this nonsense.

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
An interesting article.

Just my humble opinion: The fact that this situation has escalated to the Supreme Court of the USA is ludicrous. It is indicative of the condition of our society. Had this been an interaction between adults, it could have been resolved simply.

Had the baker simply said "I am sorry, I am uncomfortable creating a cake for your event. My colleague across the street makes really nice cakes. Let me make a call for you. I am sure he will be happy to accommodate your wishes."

Or, had the couple seeking the cake said "If you are uncomfortable creating a cake for us, we will take our business elsewhere."

The situation would have resolved itself by all people involved acting like adults in polite society.

Today, everyone on both sides of any argument have to let the world know just how offended they are and that society needs to adjust itself to their wishes.

The driving force behind both sides (in my opinion) are the lawyers that are making a fortune wasting society's time with this nonsense.
I think this is a simple case of punishing one baker to be a lesson to everyone else that they must affirm the LGBT agenda. Smash 'em, ruin 'em, bankrupt 'em into submission. Much like the case of the Washington state florist who got the smackdown from people she had served for years, just because she could not affirm the LGBT agenda.

So now religious liberty in the USA depends on the whim of Anthony Kennedy. That's not a very safe situation to be in. The decision should be a no-brainer, with religious liberty prevailing, but our society is pretty far gone to expect that. I'm hoping rational minds might prevail at 5-4, but not at all sure of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is a simple case of punishing one baker to be a lesson to everyone else that they must affirm the LGBT agenda. Smash 'em, ruin 'em, bankrupt 'em into submission. Much like the case of the Washington state florist who got the smackdown from people she had served for years, just because she could not affirm the LGBT agenda.

There are (again, in my opinion) two agendas at work here. The two sides of this argument are like two junkyard dogs who are chained up just out of reach. This is just the latest round. However this plays out, the next round is just over the horizon.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There are (again, in my opinion) two agendas at work here. The two sides of this argument are like two junkyard dogs who are chained up just out of reach. This is just the latest round. However this plays out, the next round is just over the horizon.
Since I don't see most Christians in the role of a junkyard dog ready to kill homosexuals, I just see one junkyard dog. OK Westboro Baptist Church formerly led by Fred Phelps could be the other junkyard dog. But I see them as useful stooges probably quietly well funded by LGBT interests to play the part of a junkyard dog. For the most part Christians do not have an animus against people on the other side.

All along in the campaign for homosexual marriage was the absolute insistence that it would change nothing and harm nobody, but only make things better for poor homosexuals who could not marry. Just give them what everybody else has and nobody else is inconvenienced a bit. We find out now that such talk was just talk. The baker better be on board, the florist, the photographer. If the baker can be forced to be on board, how soon before the minister must be on board? My prediction is if the baker must comply then the cases about ministers are less than two years away. We will be reading about how it all swings in the balance awaiting justice Kennedy's whim.

Upvote 0