Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, I have previously opened a thread in The junk drawer saying that The Chosen was the best Christian series I've ever seen.

Now when I watched it I found it so fascinating as it opened up the different characters in the Bible and everything surrounding it and it really gave me loads to think on. It is superbly presented and acted.
However there has been a couple of things that have niggled me and I thought I would open this thread to discuss this and get others opinions.

I don't believe in making any images of Jesus as we do not know what He looked like so would this also include films?

Now when it is in a film say where he appears as a stranger is one thing but when it is in a straight out Biblical portrayal I feel this is a different matter altogether.

Also in it Mary Magdelene is actually one of Jesus first followers and she is with the disciples travelling with them, even before all the 12 have been called.
This sits uncomfortably with me, don't get me wrong I know there were women who were with Jesus at many times and I know there were other followers called, but the 12 were specifically named and were men.

So what to make of it all?
I've watched as the director says that it was based on the Bible and that nothing replaces Scripture which is good but is this a cop out, sort of covering all bases?

When making any Biblical movies should Scripture be totally followed ( I think yes) or doesn't it matter?
Because I don't believe that there should be any images of Jesus made (after all we don't know what He looks like) I feel like a hypocrite that I watched and recommended it. As I said it is brilliantly made but I think that I will stick to the Bible alone.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I have previously opened a thread in The junk drawer saying that The Chosen was the best Christian series I've ever seen.

Now when I watched it I found it so fascinating as it opened up the different characters in the Bible and everything surrounding it and it really gave me loads to think on. It is superbly presented and acted.
However there has been a couple of things that have niggled me and I thought I would open this thread to discuss this and get others opinions.

I don't believe in making any images of Jesus as we do not know what He looked like so would this also include films?

Now when it is in a film say where he appears as a stranger is one thing but when it is in a straight out Biblical portrayal I feel this is a different matter altogether.

Also in it Mary Magdelene is actually one of Jesus first followers and she is with the disciples travelling with them, even before all the 12 have been called.
This sits uncomfortably with me, don't get me wrong I know there were women who were with Jesus at many times and I know there were other followers called, but the 12 were specifically named and were men.

I've watched as the director says that it was based on the Bible and that nothing replaces Scripture which is good but is this a cop out, sort of covering all bases?

When making any Biblical movies should Scripture be totally followed ( I think yes) or doesn't it matter?
Because I don't believe that there should be any images of Jesus made (after all we don't know what He looks like) I feel like a hypocrite that I watched and recommended it. As I said it is brilliantly made but I think that I will stick to the Bible alone.
Can't go wrong sticking to Scripture...:)

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Hi!
“Niggled” sounds like a cool word, what does it mean?

Jesus most likely had light brown skin, a black beard and black hair, and looked like a middle eastern Jewish rabbi. I can’t think of a single biblical or logical reason why it would be a problem to depict Christ with an actor, or in a painting etc. so long as it was respectful and the content of the film glorified the Lord.

I would agree with you that in general if you are telling a story from the word of God best not change it to fit your purposes, with the exception of maybe a few minor things here or there to make it flow as an episode or movie. But i would not be a fan of any significant changes.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I have not seen the film but if it's available at work I'll watch it next week.

But to your questions in general. A film is an artistic representation telling a story through the eyes of the film maker. By itself there's nothing wrong with it. We have used images to tell the stories of the bible since the earliest days of Christianity and still do.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi!
“Niggled” sounds like a cool word, what does it mean?

Jesus most likely had light brown skin, a black beard and black hair, and looked like a middle eastern Jewish rabbi. I can’t think of a single biblical or logical reason why it would be a problem to depict Christ with an actor, or in a painting etc. so long as it was respectful and the content of the film glorified the Lord.

I would agree with you that in general if you are telling a story from the word of God best not change it to fit your purposes, with the exception of maybe a few minor things here or there to make it flow as an episode or movie. But i would not be a fan of any significant changes.
:D" Niggle" means to annoy or keeps playing on your mind, until you sort it out.;)

Thank you for your input, I agree with what you said. I think if you are going to do a biblical movie you either tell it like the Bible says (doctrinally) or don't bother.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have not seen the film but if it's available at work I'll watch it next week.

But to your questions in general. A film is an artistic representation telling a story through the eyes of the film maker. By itself there's nothing wrong with it. We have used images to tell the stories of the bible since the earliest days of Christianity and still do.
It is a series that they hope to continue for a number of years, financed through crowd funding. It is run through your phone app, if you google it you will get the details. You can view the first episode on YouTube .

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a series that they hope to continue for a number of years, financed through crowd funding. It is run through your phone app, if you google it you will get the details. You can view the first episode on YouTube .
Funding for films is always an issue; it can be very complex....

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:D" Niggle" means to annoy or keeps playing on your mind, until you sort it out.;)

Thank you for your input, I agree with what you said. I think if you are going to do a biblical movie you either tell it like the Bible says (doctrinally) or don't bother.
Ppl talk about having niggling questions that stay in their minds, right? fairly common usage.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thanks. I looked it up. I didn't know it was a series.

I work in a television facilty where we have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of television "stuff" and my job is to monitor it all to keep it working properly. That's where I do all of my television watching. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. I looked it up. I didn't know it was a series.

I work in a television facilty where we have hundreds of millions of dollars worth of television "stuff" and my job is to monitor it all to keep it working properly. That's where I do all of my television watching. :)
Wow, that would be an interesting and challenging job!

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

According to scripture, scripture is not required reading.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Romans 1:19
For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.

Isaiah 40:26
Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.

Psalm 19:1-6
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.

Psalm 33:6-9
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.

Psalm 8:3
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

Romans 2:15
They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them

Psalm 104:5
He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved.

Psalm 119:90
Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast.

Deuteronomy 4:19
And beware lest you raise your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and bow down to them and serve them, things that the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.

Psalm 139:13
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

Job 31:26-28
if I have looked at the sun when it shone, or the moon moving in splendor, and my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand, this also would be an iniquity to be punished by the judges, for I would have been false to God above.

Psalm 148:8-12
fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word! Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars! Beasts and all livestock, creeping things and flying birds! Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth! Young men and maidens together, old men and children!

Matthew 5:45
so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Psalm 90:2
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree and I think that even though I liked the series, because of the things I brought up, I am not going to continue because when all is said and done it is God and more of His Bible that we need.
And certainly what I need.

I have looked into the researchers used in the series and also the beliefs followed by the actors and have made up my mind to give it up.

It is up to each one of us to make up our own minds.
I'm just saying publicly that I made a mistake in praising it up because it only takes one error to make it wrong. I am sorry.

In Gods words "A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump" Galatians 5:9

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I totally agree and I think that even though I liked the series, because of the things I brought up, I am not going to continue because when all is said and done it is God and more of His Bible that we need.
And certainly what I need.

I have looked into the researchers used in the series and also the beliefs followed by the actors and have made up my mind to give it up.

It is up to each one of us to make up our own minds.
I'm just saying publicly that I made a mistake in praising it up because it only takes one error to make it wrong. I am sorry.

In Gods words "A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump" Galatians 5:9
Good point from Galatians. We went though Galatians recently.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to scripture, scripture is not required reading.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Romans 1:19
For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.

Isaiah 40:26
Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.

Psalm 19:1-6
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.

Psalm 33:6-9
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.

Psalm 8:3
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

Romans 2:15
They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them

Psalm 104:5
He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved.

Psalm 119:90
Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast.

Deuteronomy 4:19
And beware lest you raise your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and bow down to them and serve them, things that the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.

Psalm 139:13
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

Job 31:26-28
if I have looked at the sun when it shone, or the moon moving in splendor, and my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand, this also would be an iniquity to be punished by the judges, for I would have been false to God above.

Psalm 148:8-12
fire and hail, snow and mist, stormy wind fulfilling his word! Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars! Beasts and all livestock, creeping things and flying birds! Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth! Young men and maidens together, old men and children!

Matthew 5:45
so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Psalm 90:2
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
I hardly think that what you extrapolate is what those verses say...

Upvote 0