Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(Oct. 22) – The 1973 film "The Exorcist" is regarded as one of the scariest movies of all time. But what's even spookier is the true story of the real-life exorcism that inspired it.

With that in mind, paranormal filmmakers Philip and Christopher Booth set out to make "The Haunted Boy: The Secret Diary of the Exorcist," based on the infamous, truly terrifying story of a 13-year-old boy who was allegedly possessed by the devil in St. Louis in 1949.

To delve into the gritty details, the twin filmmakers went straight to the source: tracking down an old, secret journal written by the Rev. Raymond J. Bishop, one of the priests involved in the original exorcism of the boy, who's known by the pseudonym "Robbie Mannheim."

"There are only six copies of the real, unedited diary floating around the world," Christopher Booth told AOL News. "It's a raw, 26-page account of what really happened to that boy, and it's very intense."

So what really happened to inspire William Peter Blatty's "Exorcist" horror novel and one of the most frightening Hollywood movies of all time?

The Booth brothers said the real-life exorcism case began with a boy in Maryland who developed extremely strange behavior and markings on his chest, one of which supposedly read "St. Louis."

The twins said the boy's family took it as a sign to seek help in Missouri where they had extended family. The youngster stayed at an uncle's house, and there, as the diary reveals, the apparent possession spiraled out of control.

Read More: The Chilling Story Behind the Making of 'The Exorcist'

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The exorcism took about a month and the boy agreed to be baptized. He was cured. It has a good ending. If anything, it should caution people from playing around with the occult. IIRC, his aunt was a spiritist who got him into contacting spirits, etc. for fun before she died.

Prayers of exorcism are conducted before baptism in the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The exorcism took about a month and the boy agreed to be baptized. He was cured. It has a good ending. If anything, it should caution people from playing around with the occult. IIRC, his aunt was a spiritist who got him into contacting spirits, etc. for fun before she died.

Prayers of exorcism are conducted before baptism in the Orthodox Church.

What is IIRC?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my health care career I've known of 3 cases of supposed demon possession. One was factitious (faking it) and the other 2 were psychotics whose demons went away with medication. If you just want to see a scary movie for Halloween, that's fine. But he filmmakers are conning the audience if they're implying that this preposterous paranormal nonsense has any connection with the real world.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my health care career I've known of 3 cases of supposed demon possession. One was factitious (faking it) and the other 2 were psychotics whose demons went away with medication. If you just want to see a scary movie for Halloween, that's fine. But he filmmakers are conning the audience if they're implying that this preposterous paranormal nonsense has any connection with the real world.

:amen:

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And yet, nothing you mentioned tells us that actual demonic possession doesn't exist. An exorcist for the RCC in Spain has said that out of 100 cases referred to him, only one was real. It is by no means a common occurrence, but it does happen.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And yet, nothing you mentioned tells us that actual demonic possession doesn't exist. An exorcist for the RCC in Spain has said that out of 100 cases referred to him, only one was real. It is by no means a common occurrence, but it does happen.

How can it be real if one can not prove that demons even exist?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It simply shows the effects of emotions, it doesn't prove we have them- which demonstrates my point. Also, just because no one has proven demons exist, it doesn't mean it isn't possible or that they are non-existent.

I take it you missed the First line then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How can emotions be real? Can you prove they exist?

I didn't ask about emotions. I asked about demons. Prove to me that demons exist and then I might take these so called cases about demon possessions and priest who do exorcisms seriously.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It simply shows the effects of emotions, it doesn't prove we have them- which demonstrates my point.
If something is non-existant, then it will not have consistent, repeatable, testable effects.

Also, just because no one has proven demons exist, it doesn't mean it isn't possible or that they are non-existent.
True, but it's evidence that they probably don't (except metaphorically and in movies and literature).

Upvote 0