INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? A probability of abiogenesis number in a science documentary?
Ask a Quantum physicist and he will tell you that everything is based on probability; Now we all know that everything boils down to physics so it does make sense to a physicist but not to a biologist. Oh well interesting video nevertheless.:wave:

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ask a Quantum physicist and he will tell you that everything is based on probability; Now we all know that everything boils down to physics so it does make sense to a physicist but not to a biologist. Oh well interesting video nevertheless.:wave:
Rest assured, probability makes plenty of sense to me, which is exactly why I nearly headdesked when I came across this. That bit where the guy says that a building block of DNA (didn't catch which one) can only form through a precise series of reactions with probability 1 in [insert incomprehensibly high number]? He doesn't even explain the number or what it means with regards to the origin of life, he just leaves it hanging there. Just like the creationist "probability of life" calculations. Look, a Big Number! Be impressed! :doh:

Sorry, bad science communication just makes me very, very grumpy.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Rest assured, probability makes plenty of sense to me, which is exactly why I nearly headdesked when I came across this. That bit where the guy says that a building block of DNA (didn't catch which one) can only form through a precise series of reactions with probability 1 in [insert incomprehensibly high number]? He doesn't even explain the number or what it means with regards to the origin of life, he just leaves it hanging there. Just like the creationist "probability of life" calculations. Look, a Big Number! Be impressed! :doh:

I remember several years back where the History Channel presented a program on the evolution of birds from dinosaurs and made it seem like a 50/50 debate with no scientific consensus.:doh:

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I remember several years back where the History Channel presented a program on the evolution of birds from dinosaurs and made it seem like a 50/50 debate with no scientific consensus.:doh:
You mean equal weight to Feduccia and company? :swoon:

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

:thumbsup: Yes I agree and your point is very valid. The problem with making a documentary that will speak to the layman in layman's terms is maintain on the science without it becoming incoherent. BBC is one of the few that actually manages to do this (Attenborough, Horizon, etc.).

The main point with the documentary is to impress upon the public the importance of Chemistry in biology and other things. No mystery is involved nor the supernatural but chemical interactions that are based on the Atomic theory and hence Physics! Oh I love it when I point out the fact that everything boils down to physics ^_^^_^^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: Yes I agree and your point is very valid. The problem with making a documentary that will speak to the layman in layman's terms is maintain on the science without it becoming incoherent. BBC is one of the few that actually manages to do this (Attenborough, Horizon, etc.).
Even a recent Attenborough documentary (First Life, I think it was called) managed to squeeze in a good dose of excrement :( At one point the narration implied that animals didn't reproduce sexually until the Ediacaran. Never mind that sexual reproduction as in meiosis + fertilisation is far older than animals.

Oh I love it when I point out the fact that everything boils down to physics ^_^^_^^_^
At which point the biologist chuckles and quietly points the physicist to the protein structure prediction problem ^_^

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Even a recent Attenborough documentary (First Life, I think it was called) managed to squeeze in a good dose of excrement :( At one point the narration implied that animals didn't reproduce sexually until the Ediacaran. Never mind that sexual reproduction as in meiosis + fertilisation is far older than animals.
Nothing is perfect :thumbsup:

At which point the biologist chuckles and quietly points the physicist to the protein structure prediction problem ^_^
And the Physicist says to the Biologist "Now that we are in a quantum entaglement why don't we go to the Quantum Bar for a pint", Hic!^_^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MowgKI24Sq0

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Unhealthy obsession. Michael, the point where you becoming incapable of making any comment not referencing your topic of obsession, is the point where you need to see a shrink.

Nah. I just need the mainstream to surrender. :) My time on message boards is limited, so I tend to focus on the topic(s) that I'm most interested in. God and astronomy just happen to be my passions.

Upvote 0