Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This thread was split automatically after 1000 replies and this thread has been automatically created.
The old thread automatically closed is here: "The Chapter-A-Day thread."

Some things to say:

I'm excited to see this thread split! I'd like to give y'all some background about what the thread's purpose is, and where we are, so that people don't have to go back to the last one.

In February, I saw a group on CF titled Bible Study: We read the whole Bible together and discuss it! and thought it was a really good idea. Unfortunately, the group was... dead. I didn’t see any Bible reading or discussion for a year, and many members were inactive.

So, I started the Chapter-a-Day thread. The idea is to read the whole Bible a chapter a day. Thanks to a few awesome posters - give Brinny and BCMom a big hand! - we've kept this going.

Each day, we all read that day's chapter. You can use any Bible translation you prefer... Every day (around midnight GMT) one of us posts a link to the day's chapter, but you don't have to use that translation. Also, BCMom found a very helpful set of commentaries online that we consider an "optional" reading... you don't have to read it to comment on the day's chapter, but it is helpful in discussion.

New-comers are always welcome! Just go to the last page of the thread, read the day's chapter, and post your thoughts!

God bless you,
Grace

PS: To clear up any confusion surrounding the thread split, today's (August 8th's) chapter is Deuteronomy 23. The text can be found here: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy%2023&version=NIV and a link to the commentary here: Deuteronomy 23 - David Guzik Commentary on the Bible

Last edited:

JimmyNeutron

Master of Ceremonies
Jun 20, 2014
Retroville
✟8,103.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I find it interesting how it says that if a slave escapes from his/her master you shall not turn them in. There is an interesting story here:

There was a man in the cabinet of President Abraham Lincoln whose name was Moses Lewis Linton. He proposed the idea that we could change the slavery laws in the United States to those of the Bible. Specifically, the law that says a slave will serve 7 years and then he shall be set free, unless he chooses to continue to serve his master. He proposed this idea because it would allow those who are currently slaves to learn a trade from their master so they could earn a living after they were set free. And, of course, those who fled from abusive masters would NOT be returned, just as this chapter says.

Of course, that isn't how it happened. Slavery was abolished all at once, which is a good thing, but at the same time it caused a couple problems. One of which is that upon being released, a lot of slaves didn't know things like how to read and write. People like Booker T. Washington helped take care of that problem.

Upvote 0

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting. I think that the Bible's plan probably would have worked better than what actually happened. I mean, I see the value of freeing the slaves all at once, but the other way makes sense... and the gradual transition might have been easier on the South than the sudden transition.

I bet Deuteronomy 23:15-16 must have really irritated the Romans! They would not have been happy that the Jews were hiding runaway slaves instead of turning them in!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ya-hayyyy!!! New thread! New Thread!
bliss.gif

by the way, yes they are some good points about the slavery issues....there was much wisdom in the Bible.....well i guess that is because God is verrrrry wise, and GOOD! His compassion and kindness are just inexplicable.....that's one of the reasons i loves Him soooooo much.

I gotta read Deuteronomy 23...be back....

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm reading Deuteronomy 23 and this verse really stood out for me...it's downright precious....God comes right out and says He LOVES the Israelites and turned what others meant for a curse against them to BLESSING. He is just tooooooo awesome for words...such a GOOD God. Here's the verse:

Verse 5 -"Nevertheless the Lord thy God would not hearken unto Balaam; but the Lord thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the Lord thy God loved thee."

Reminds me of the verse about if God is for you who can be against you, and also this verse:

"As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come." ~Proverbs 26:2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 24

When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business; but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

Deuteronomy 24 verse 5

This is a lovely verse for Christians to remember. The bible says that husbands should cheer up their new wives.

Upvote 0

bcmom

Put on the full armor of God
Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 24

When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business; but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

Deuteronomy 24 verse 5

This is a lovely verse for Christians to remember. The bible says that husbands should cheer up their new wives.

It is a lovely verse.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Wow, if a man writes a certificate of divorce, he just sends his wife out of the house...i guess she goes back to her family? Rabbi's were teaching that a man could divorce his wife if she "displeased" him by burning the toast, etc. How utterly hateful is that?

The commentary was also really helpful in understanding the "kidnapping" and "selling" yer brethren etc. Reminds me of when Joseph's brethren sold him...it was also helpful in explaining the kindness and generosity God commanded the Israelites to extend to the poor and also even strangers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

The highlight of this chapter was the not muzzling the ox.....so kind and compassionate...

the commentary was helpful in comparing the not muzzling the ox to supporting a minister, which is a very good analogy....

the commentary was also helpful in explaining the widow and the brother's responsibility of marrying her....only thing that might be hard is, when they have a child, the child is considered the dead brother's....this must've been difficult to swallow for the brother....

Upvote 0

bcmom

Put on the full armor of God
Jan 9, 2014
BC CANADA
✟19,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The highlight of this chapter was the not muzzling the ox.....so kind and compassionate...

the commentary was helpful in comparing the not muzzling the ox to supporting a minister, which is a very good analogy....

the commentary was also helpful in explaining the widow and the brother's responsibility of marrying her....only thing that might be hard is, when they have a child, the child is considered the dead brother's....this must've been difficult to swallow for the brother....

What a position to be in, both uncle and father to your child - Especially hard if it's a son I think - because of this law - Actually it's the person's faith in God, not the law, that has put them in this position - You must love your brother and God very much to do this for a brother.
How many people now are that selfless? We live in an instant gratification, me centred - rather than God centred- society. We can't even wait a week for a letter so we email someone instead. Could any of us really raise our own child as our deceased sibling's? I'm not sure if my faith in God is strong enough to do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

agamemnonoftroy

Jul 25, 2014
✟10,126.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 25

If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Deuteronomy 25 verse 5

Personally I never got on with my brother's wife. I remember that one day she cried when we had no cream when she visited us. This Israeli law would have caused me a problem, because I never found my brother's wife a nice person.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What a position to be in, both uncle and father to your child - Especially hard if it's a son I think - because of this law - Actually it's the person's faith in God, not the law, that has put them in this position - You must love your brother and God very much to do this for a brother.
How many people now are that selfless? We live in an instant gratification, me centred - rather than God centred- society. We can't even wait a week for a letter so we email someone instead. Could any of us really raise our own child as our deceased sibling's? I'm not sure if my faith in God is strong enough to do that.

me either.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.