• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Catholic tradition on Nephilim, Incubi, and Succubi...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+13,629
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

2. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn back in black

+1,531
    Catholic
    Private
    Fantastic article, Michie. Thanks for posting.

Though Peter Kreeft leans toward the interpretation of the Genesis passages in light of Enoch, the majority of other scholars I have read agree with St Augustine, that the "sons of God" were holy men from the line of Seth, and the "daughters of men" were from the line of Cain.

While I find the book of Enoch fascinating for its mythology, it presents ontological impossibilities (divine, incorporeal, immortal beings mating with mundane, corporeal, mortals). Still, I love reading fiction books that involve various interpretations of the Nephilim/Watchers as half-breed (humane/divine) demon hunters, hehehe.

Also, I personally do not believe that divine/demonic beings could mate with humans, but that possibility leads many lay people to theorise that a demon (or Satan himself) could sire a child, and that child would be the anti-Christ. See movies like Rosemary's Baby and the Omen.

3. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,367
    Catholic
    Single
    From the article
    in A Popular History of Witchcraft by Montague Summers, page 191
    has Pope Benedict XIV saying that reference to the "sons of God" in Genies is "This passage has reference to those demons who are known as incubi and succubi"

so we have the personal view of a Pope, the view of St. Thomas Aquinas and the view of thousands of other Catholics through the ages... but it is not the "mind of the Church"???

I think the person who wrote this article does not have a proper understanding of tradition.
    even if it is small t and not big T, I think this view of demons should not be dismissed so lightly.

4. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,367
    Catholic
    Single
    the other view is that demons take the seed from men they seduce and use it for to inseminate women who they also seduce, that is an odd idea

what are some fictional novels you like with Nephilim? I like fantasy and horror sometimes, always looking for something new to read.