Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I am a queer Catholic. When will the church feel like home?” This question was posed by a young woman named Grace Doerfler in a recent essay in America magazine. As someone who once lived life as a gay man and who has now converted to the Catholic Church and found there a welcome home, I am always interested in those who identify as LGBTQ and argue that the Catholic Church is not a home for them. These narratives are always the same: the only conversion that is ever discussed in these sorts of complaints is how the Church needs to change to suit them.

Doerfler’s essay is no different. She begins by letting her readers know that though she is Catholic, she has felt more comfortable of late in an Episcopalian Church because, as she tells us, “I often question if I can truly find home in this church, which often seems to go to great lengths to make people who love the way I do feel unwelcome in the Body of Christ.” In her essay, she speaks in flowery “spiritualese” of her Catholic faith and her “queer” identity:

Continued below.
The Catholic Church is the True Home for Those Who Identify as LGBTQ

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. The Church doesn’t try to “deprogram” people. It acknowledges homosexual inclinations and desires, and asks us to sacrifice acting on those desires in the heart and in the flesh as a way to carry our Cross and follow Christ. It’s much healthier.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Grace: "It was through the Word becoming flesh that God chose to encounter her people"

longstare-stare.gif

gap-slapped.gif

What a donkey.

Upvote 0