The Catholic Church Has a Visible White-Power Faction: An Orthodox Problem As Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Look, you are going to find kooks in the Church. It is unavoidable. But do they really have followings? Is there any serious movement to actively promote the bad ideas? Everybody here condemns actual white nationalism and actual racism. But you won’t find any concentrated movement attempting to organize people to promote those awful ideas. Even Fr John’s article focuses on one kooky man’s thoughts. It’s good to say what Fr John said. In general, I find him in his words to be a sensible and godly priest.

It’s wrong to cast such individuals as a movement that is a serious threat within the Church. It is fine to condemn their bad ideas, but wrong to suggest that their ideas are “systemic” and widespread. They aren’t. The harm that can be done in the Church by spreading racial mistrust and fear in the name of combatting racism, something we all already condemn, is greater. Only by rejecting all racial assaults against everybody, white, black, red or yellow, can we keep out the evil attitudes of mutual distrust, fear and even hate. That means that the rhetoric of both “MRJ” and BLM have to go. You can’t kick out one and insist on the other. They both do the same evil work, creating confidence in their misguided supporters and mistrust and fear in their opponents.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've seen only one instance (personally) of racism in the Orthodox Church and it escalated pretty quickly into an excommunication - guy simply refused repentance. The idea that there's something systemic in the Church is absurd. And 'kooks' are dealt with appropriately.

As for the Latins, they seem to only excommunicate for denying the papacy anyways.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've seen only one instance (personally) of racism in the Orthodox Church and it escalated pretty quickly into an excommunication - guy simply refused repentance. The idea that there's something systemic in the Church is absurd. And 'kooks' are dealt with appropriately.

As for the Latins, they seem to only excommunicate for denying the papacy anyways.
Well, as far as whether kooks are dealt with appropriately, I’d say it’s the general problem of people entering the Church and thinking their own ideas to be the mind of the Church, and refusing correction from the consensus of Holy Tradition. Many walk around with all kinds of ideas out of whack with Tradition. Some think divorce from other churched Orthodox and remarriage to be perfectly fine and necessary, others that same sex sexual relations or other sexual relations outside of holy matrimony are not sin, still others that women ought to be priests, some hold that the words of Christ on some issues today are not relevant, a few do think that interracial marriage is somehow bad, and even more think that a majority race ought to be prosecuted if not persecuted for imagined “privilege” and alleged inherent unconscious racism, all ideas that were never taught by the fathers. This refusal to be corrected by the Tradition of the Church constitutes sin, a failure of obedience, humility, and submission. Anything we say, including me, should be subject to such correction.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian