Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
*You are in the Catholic Forum. I'm looking for responses from Catholics only. Thank you.*

I'm curious about learning more about why the Church says what it says about gay unions. I can understand why the Church would say that same-sex couples should not have sexual relations, even if they are married by their local governments. They are not married within the eyes of the Church and would, thus, be considered to be fornicating. Be that as it may, however, I am curious to know why the Church does not see same-sex unions as valid partnerships to be married within the Church. I am guessing it's because such a union would not produce any biological offspring, but if that is the case, then why are heterosexual couples that are infertile allowed to marry?

I'm not trying to start a fight or go against the Church's teachings as if I know better, but if I am to say that I don't support same-sex marriages, I'd at least like to be clear on why I'm not supposed to support it as a Catholic. Please be respectful in your responses and try not to argue with each other. Thank you! :)

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I know you wanted Catholics only, but I feel I need to chime in here since our churches hold similar views on this subject. I think it all stems back to the Bible itself stating that marriage is a man and a woman. I would cite verses, but I couldn't tell you which ones they are even if I tried(I'm the sort of person who knows what the Bible says, but I couldn't tell you exactly where).

I think an exception is made for infertile couples because they're not willingly choosing not to have children, but rather they physically cannot. For non-infertile couples children are typically an expectation in marriage, which same sex couples cannot produce unless through artificial means(and both churches usually condemn those).

I'm fairly familiar with all of this since I looked into it for myself due to the fact I don't want children, which certainly plays a factor in my decision to just be celibate.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
*You are in the Catholic Forum. I'm looking for responses from Catholics only. Thank you.*

I'm curious about learning more about why the Church says what it says about gay unions. I can understand why the Church would say that same-sex couples should not have sexual relations, even if they are married by their local governments. They are not married within the eyes of the Church and would, thus, be considered to be fornicating. Be that as it may, however, I am curious to know why the Church does not see same-sex unions as valid partnerships to be married within the Church. I am guessing it's because such a union would not produce any biological offspring, but if that is the case, then why are heterosexual couples that are infertile allowed to marry?

I'm not trying to start a fight or go against the Church's teachings as if I know better, but if I am to say that I don't support same-sex marriages, I'd at least like to be clear on why I'm not supposed to support it as a Catholic. Please be respectful in your responses and try not to argue with each other. Thank you! :)

I guess a quick answer is that the Church sees marriage as having a two-fold purpose: unitive and procreative. That is to say that the marital act effects union of the spouses (Genesis 2:24) and new life (Genesis 1:28). Because a same-sex couple is capable of neither purpose they are not capable of marriage. Infertile married couples are still capable of the unitive purpose.

Same-sex persons are capable of deep friendship with each other, but even if this friendship includes a measure of exclusivity it is still not marriage.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to add the typology of Christ and his church (the groom and the bride and the new Adam and Eve).
God has made it fairly clear what he thinks of Homosexuality in the past and there's absolutely no reason to believe that he'll change his mind on this topic.
To be straight forward I'd like to say that some things was orthodox yesterday, today, and forever and some things are always heretical.
Gay unions was, are and will forever be linked with rebellion against the moral law of God.

The bible gives absolutely no leeway for a homosexual lifestyle nor does the church and her tradition.
Finally I'll like to point out that its important for us Catholics not to let ourselves be deceived into adopting the new and highly carnal definition of love.

The biblical idea of love is very different from the modern Satanic idea of the word. They're as different as day and night.

• Agree
Reactions: Markie Boy
Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am guessing it's because such a union would not produce any biological offspring, but if that is the case, then why are heterosexual couples that are infertile allowed to marry?
It comes down to natural law. Same-sex couples act agains the natural law (i.e. nature and its unchanging laws and principles). In the case of an infertile marriage, even if they are unable to produce offspring, they are still acting according to natural law and doing the right and natural thing.

All this same-sex mess started when we as a society decided to ditch natural law. As Catholics we believe that nature has a teleology (purpose and reason), and that there are principles of morality embodied within nature itself.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Same sex unions by their nature exclude the other sex, which God created as necessary and good. When two men join together, they are excluding the woman; Likewise, when two women come together they are excluding the man.
Also, for the Church, the sacrament of marriage is by definition the coming together of man and woman, so it's impossible for two people of the same sex to be married, just like it's impossible to be baptized with soap or, 'In the Name of the Creator, Redeemed and Sanctifer'.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you haven't read it yet, may I suggest John Paul II's Theology Of The Body---It's long but it delves into Scripture and brings out it's nuances:
John Paul II's Theology of the Body

Upvote 0