Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone!

I've been doing a lot of discernment recently about life in general and I really feel a strong pull of attraction toward the Carmelites. I love the scapular, I love the charism, I love the saints of the order, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is one of my favorite titles of the Blessed Mother, and I like the connection they have to the Old Testament and Elijah. There's a monastery of discalced carmelite nuns near my house and I go there for Mass occasionally. I've always been struck by their reverance and devotion. The chapel is simple, the nuns are behind a cloister and all you can really see are their veiled heads...occasionally you'll see the white veil of a novice, but other than that it's virtually impossible to see behind the cloister. I've spoken with them occasionally when I've visited their gift shop and they seem like very holy women.

I also know a lot of secular (3rd order carmelites) who are laypeople (can be married) who try to live the spirituality of carmel in the midst of the world. I'm seriously thinking about joining them. I'm also in the process of discerning a vocation to the priesthood and I've always thought that if I were to be a priest that it would be diocesan, but I was thinking a lot about religious life the other day and what beinga friar might be like. Diocesan priests can also be secular Carmelites so it would be possible to integrate my love of Carmel with priestly ministry within a diocese, but I don't really know what discalced friars do.

I was wondering if any of you have had any contact with carmelite priests and what that was like. Also, are there any secular carmelites out there who might be willing to explain a little more about what's involved?

Anyway...I hope everything is going well with everyone around OBOB.

God bless,

Brad

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of my favorite professors in college was a Carmelite priest. Very joyful guy -- lived in an inner-city housing project by night, and taught at a major university by day. Really impressive all-around.

I also lived near a Carmelite Monastery, and go to adoration in their chapel frequently. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Atomagenesis

Regina decor Carmeli, ora pro nobis
Apr 7, 2004
I would like a hermitage.
✟8,771.00
Faith
Catholic
www.carmelitemonks.org

This order is a combination between the Ancient Observance and the Discalced, but they are monks, not friars, which is more traditional to the Carmelite charism.

I can answer just about any question you have. I will be becoming a Carmelite priest in this order eventually , God willing.

Upvote 0

SandCrab

Hey Wena!! Woza! Sizotandaza!
Oct 26, 2005
Exeter
✟13,764.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
pax said:
Hey everyone!

I've been doing a lot of discernment recently about life in general and I really feel a strong pull of attraction toward the Carmelites. I love the scapular, I love the charism, I love the saints of the order, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is one of my favorite titles of the Blessed Mother, and I like the connection they have to the Old Testament and Elijah. There's a monastery of discalced carmelite nuns near my house and I go there for Mass occasionally. I've always been struck by their reverance and devotion. The chapel is simple, the nuns are behind a cloister and all you can really see are their veiled heads...occasionally you'll see the white veil of a novice, but other than that it's virtually impossible to see behind the cloister. I've spoken with them occasionally when I've visited their gift shop and they seem like very holy women.

I also know a lot of secular (3rd order carmelites) who are laypeople (can be married) who try to live the spirituality of carmel in the midst of the world. I'm seriously thinking about joining them. I'm also in the process of discerning a vocation to the priesthood and I've always thought that if I were to be a priest that it would be diocesan, but I was thinking a lot about religious life the other day and what beinga friar might be like. Diocesan priests can also be secular Carmelites so it would be possible to integrate my love of Carmel with priestly ministry within a diocese, but I don't really know what discalced friars do.

I was wondering if any of you have had any contact with carmelite priests and what that was like. Also, are there any secular carmelites out there who might be willing to explain a little more about what's involved?

Anyway...I hope everything is going well with everyone around OBOB.

God bless,

Brad

Cool! Carmalites! I dont get it, the Church says its short of priests but there are so many aspirants, about 4 in obob alone (Myself included) and were a SMALL community!

Anyway God bless and I will pray that your vocation grows stronger

Blessings
Lg3

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I think I'm going to try to talk to one of the nuns or some secular carmelites that I know to see if I can get more information. I've always had a great admiration for the order, but I never gave a ton of thought to actually being a first-order member. I think this is something I need to bring to more prayer. Thanks a lot everyone!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.