The Canterbury Alehouse - The Fellowship Thr(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wish they hadn't automatically split this thread and given it the same title as the last one. I even had a spiffy name for this version of the Alehouse in mind; "Canterbury Alehouse IV: The Voyage Home". ;) Five invisible dollars (i.e. nothing) go to the first person who gets the reference. :)

John

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lel said:
I don't count, do I? :p

Sure you count. Keep in mind that this is a pop culture reference rather than a reference to my personal life, though. :) Granted, it applies to both, and there is a bit of a double meaning implied, but the answer I'm looking for is the pop culture reference.

John

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
IowaLutheran wins the non-existent prize. :) Star Trek IV is my favorite of the Star Trek movies. Normally I'm not a big fan of science fiction that tries to be funny, but they did an excellent job with that particular film. Chekov standing on the streets of San Francisco loudly querying people about the location of the "nuclear wessels" in a thick Russian accent in the mists of the Cold War was classic. :) And Spock was never unintentionally funnier than he was in that movie. But I'm probably a little biased, since I like virtually everything that's ever been put on film with the name "Star Trek" attached (Though the Voyager series kind of tested my patience at times. ;)). :)

John

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Fish and Bread said:
IowaLutheran wins the non-existent prize. :) Star Trek IV is my favorite of the Star Trek movies. Normally I'm not a big fan of science fiction that tries to be funny, but they did an excellent job with that particular film. Chekov standing on the streets of San Francisco loudly querying people about the location of the "nuclear wessels" in a thick Russian accent in the mists of the Cold War was classic. :) And Spock was never unintentionally funnier than he was in that movie. But I'm probably a little biased, since I like virtually everything that's ever been put on film with the name "Star Trek" attached (Though the Voyager series kind of tested my patience at times. ;)). :)

John

You mean I won't be getting the invisible money in the mail! :doh:

It was pretty funny seeing the interaction between Chekhov and the 1980s era Americans in that movie. You're probably too young to remember what it was like before the Iron Curtain fell. When that movie came out in '86, we had no idea that in three years the Berlin Wall would be coming down.

I love the original cast and the Next Generation, but I never watched the later shows, partly because of lack of interest, and partly because some were on fringe networks that I don't think were available through my cable provider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
IowaLutheran said:
I love the original cast and the Next Generation, but I never watched the later shows, partly because of lack of interest, and partly because some were on fringe networks that I don't think were available through my cable provider.

Of the three programs you missed, Deep Space Nine is probably the one most worth trying to watch someday. It raised some interesting moral questions and had a pretty dark and edgely subtext (by Star Trek standards) at times. It also had more carry over from episode to episode and some long range subplots that would go on over the course of several seasons. Honestly, Babylon 5 took a similar premise and did it a lot better, but I have a softspot for DS9, because it took a similar idea and did it in the familar Star Trek universe that I was already attached to. From a dramatic perspective, DS9 is probably the best Star Trek series period, though it isn't necessarily my favorite and definitely didn't break as much ground as some of the other ones.

John

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Fish and Bread said:
Chekov standing on the streets of San Francisco loudly querying people about the location of the "nuclear wessels" in a thick Russian accent in the mists of the Cold War was classic.

I loved that scene! I also loved it when Kirk tried to explain that Spock did too many drugs in the 60s, and said he did too much 'LDS'. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lunamoth

Apr 29, 2004
✟7,719.00
Faith
Anglican
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the Episcopal Church! It's always nice to have more people, both on the forum and in the church. So, I'm curious, in the time that you were away, did a lot about the church appear to change? Or is it basically the same place it was when you left?

John
Thank you for the welcome, all! :wave:

I like my pizza with a NY style hand tossed crust, green pepper, mushroom and black olives, but I've been eating it with just pepperoni for so long I hardly remember that that tastes like! I have two young kids, no further explanation needed.

Let's see, I more or less drifted away into agnosticism when I got out of high school in '79. The church I attended until then, and my parents and sisters still attend, is a gorgeous old stone church built in the 1800s in a picturesque upstate NY town. I was also married there and the priest at the time was very traditionalist, although I wouldn't really say conservative. I liked him. At other times when I visited there was for a time another priest whose sermons I loved, on the theological/intellectual side. I wasn't paying much attention but I assume that over those years of my more or less absence women came to be ordained, which I think is great and a big part of my return to the church.

Am I boring you yet?

Actually, there is one big difference, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I've found a church here that is very vibrant and family oriented. As lovely as the church was in my home town, it had and has a small congregation and very few willing to get involved. I think as far as high church vs low goes, they are similar and toward the higher side, bells and smells as it were, and the one I'm in now having a very interesting mix of clergy from both sides of the spectrum, it seems. I just love it.

I love the diversity of the Episcopal church. I love traditional liturgy and high church, I'm probably mixed and in the middle when it comes to theological understandings, and I'm definitely liberal politically. I even love it that there are people all together who may be almost polar opposites in some ways, but we kneel together at that communion table.

Oh, I am going on. You won't be asking me any more simple questions now, will you. :blush:

Anyway, I am interested in learning what the distinction of Old Catholic is, but perhaps I should start a thread for that one. Or one of you kind regulars here can bump up a thread that already discusses it.

cheers,
lunamoth

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
AveMaria said:
I loved that scene! I also loved it when Kirk tried to explain that Spock did too many drugs in the 60s, and said he did too much 'LDS'. ^_^

The look on Gillian's face when he said it was priceless, too. :) I wonder how Mr. Spock would do as a Mormon? ;)

John

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
lunamoth said:
Let's see, I more or less drifted away into agnosticism when I got out of high school in '79.

I was actually an agnostic for several years myself, but when I came back I chose a different denomination, having originally been baptised a Roman Catholic. Thanks for filling me in on you story. I find it fascinating to learn what some longtime Episcopalians think of all the changes that have occurred in the last 30 years or so. It's almost like talking to Roman Catholics who went through Vatican II, which I find interesting to hear about as well. :)

Anyway, I am interested in learning what the distinction of Old Catholic is, but perhaps I should start a thread for that one. Or one of you kind regulars here can bump up a thread that already discusses it.

There is a thread that is permanently "stuck" to the top of the board near where this very Alehouse thread and some of the rules threads are housed that explains in more detail, but, essentially the Old Catholics are a seperate denomination that was deemed similar enough to Anglicans/Episcopalians to share a message board with us. They're probably the most similar to the Anglo-Catholic side of Anglicanism, having only seperated from Rome around the time of Vatican I. We have three or four Old Catholic regulars, including two priests, and their presence adds a lot to the atmosphere here. :)

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.