Illinois
✟173,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The one's where they went to Church all their life and "thought" they were saved, then one day they actually get saved and regenerated and are shocked.

They know well that faith isn't a mere intellectual thing held in our neurons in our brains, or a mere profession. Like somehow we muster up our own faith and try to maintain it in our brain which sounds dumb.

And they also know well and understand that regeneration is a real thing that has power, and it's not the mere man trying to "turn a new leaf" like people do on new years eve and I wonder why that doesn't work for many people on new years eve (sarcasm).

They know the supernatural power of God to transform. And give themselves 0 credit but all credit to God.

I had a similar experience but I only went to Church for about 2 years as a lost man. Then after getting saved which I believe it was the Holy Spirit and I got born again, I wanted to become a Baptist. And I am still having the tension between Baptist and Calvinist. I am not 100% sure if God predestinates but I won't be surprised if it's true.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had a similar experience but I only went to Church for about 2 years as a lost man. Then after getting saved which I believe it was the Holy Spirit and I got born again, I wanted to become a Baptist. And I am still having the tension between Baptist and Calvinist. I am not 100% sure if God predestinates but I won't be surprised if it's true.

It is estimated that about half of all Baptists are Calvinists, so what exactly are the points of disagreement or tension that you are referring to?

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟173,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is estimated that about half of all Baptists are Calvinists, so what exactly are the points of disagreement or tension that you are referring to?

Does God predestined people to heaven and some to hell?

I don't fully know the answer to that

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does God predestined people to heaven and some to hell?

I don't fully know the answer to that
That's it? Is this the only issue that keeps you uncertain of which church to go with--Baptist or Reformed? If so, I would suggest an intensive study of the issue, leaving other distractions and controversies aside, and reach your decision. If it is FOR Predestination, a Baptist congregation that is Predestinarian would seem a reasonable choice. But if you conclude that God predestines some to damnation along with predestining others to salvation, the choices narrow (which might be helpful when seeking out a church home, not the opposite).

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The one's where they went to Church all their life and "thought" they were saved, then one day they actually get saved and regenerated and are shocked.

They know well that faith isn't a mere intellectual thing held in our neurons in our brains, or a mere profession. Like somehow we muster up our own faith and try to maintain it in our brain which sounds dumb.

And they also know well and understand that regeneration is a real thing that has power, and it's not the mere man trying to "turn a new leaf" like people do on new years eve and I wonder why that doesn't work for many people on new years eve (sarcasm).

They know the supernatural power of God to transform. And give themselves 0 credit but all credit to God.

I am a Reformed Baptist, so have the best of both worlds, Baptist and Calvinist!

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Here are a few resources worth thought and consideration:

Predestination in Historical Theology

Predestination in the Reformed Confessions

The Divine Decrees

Links to more solid resources

Also search for "The Cause of God and Truth", especially Part IV of the work, it's by (Calvinistic) Particular Baptist D.D. John Gill. This section of the work details at length the doctrine of predestination in the writings of the Early Church "Fathers".

Upvote 0